Barefoot Runners

VFFs - do you feel a ridge under the ball of the foot? (Read 282 times)

My VFFs arrived yesterday.  They are not as comfortable as barefoot, except for the skin-vs.-surface interface (but hopefully I'll get tougher soon).  What really surprised me is that I feel the little ridge under the ball of the foot. In fact, it lies right where I land.  If you picture the ball of the foot as an oval shape, it's that edge which is closest to the heel.

Has anyone else noticed this or been bothered by it?

Thanks.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I know what you mean.  It's weird, because there's not actually a ridge there.  Maybe it's your own sole bunching up.

I only ever noticed it when running really fast, in cold weather when my feet were stiff and slightly numb.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        I noticed that while hiking recently.  I got a couple of miles out and had to switch to hiking shoes because of it.

-------------------------------------
        5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
        10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
        1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
        Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Spine

I've noticed this, too! I just got a pair of KSOs. The left one feels fine, but I do feel a ridge under the right one. I thought maybe the right one had a minor defect, or maybe the anatomy of my right foot is just slightly different from my left, so that I experience the fit of the KSOs differently.

I'm planning to just see if I get used to it. These are size 43 KSOs; I tried the 42s first but they were snug to the point of feeling kind of uncomfortable. The 43s might be slightly large for me--there is definitely a bit of space in the toe pockets.

Spine

Just to follow up: the shoe that didn't feel quite right developed a tear at the seam, so I brought the pair back to REI. Got a new pair of 43s and they feel great. So I think there was a problem with that particular shoe. These things are so snug and fitted, I wouldn't be surprised if very minor defects or inconsistencies result in discomfort.
              Very interesting - thanks!
              Wingz

Professional Noob

And that would explain why some of us never felt one...

Roads were made for journeys...