On the Bench

Any updates? (Read 576 times)

Anyone? Anyone? Someone has to have something new to share to distract me from studying!!! Cool Embarrassed Wink
      no- you get to play for 9 months after thursday - hit the books Tongue Good luck with your exams Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

But my brother and sister are in town. Why should I study when I can play with them?
          let's see - because they don't have to take exams on Thursday Wink seriously - what exams are you taking ? Most important - how is your hip doing?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

My brother has to finish his thesis and make a few changes from his defense. Before he goes back to Switzerland and between meetings all over the country with collaborators. So should he have been working and not playing? Medical boards. Part 2 of 3. If I had been smart and taken it after I got back and late enough in the year so that residencies wouldnt get my scores I would just have to pass. But since I only did so-so on part I and am thinking about ortho I am trying to get my scores up before I leave the country. As for my hip, I am trying not to positively reinforce its misbehaving so I am not talking about it unless it is being good. Tongue

Now that was a bath...

We definitely need more updates! I'm one week off crutches and I have another appointment with the sports doctor in two weeks to monitor my progress. He reckons another three months and I may be able to try short runs on grass. My leg is feeling fine and I have weaned myself off all pain killers. I get the occasional ache but that's it. I am only allowed to do essential walking and swimming. Here's the kicker though. I have put on 7lbs with all the inactivity!!!!! It's weird (Eric cover your eyes), I look and feel much better naked with the extra weight but my clothes don't look as good! Permanent nakedness is not an option. Claire xxx
            • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
            • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                Any more updates? Kooky - your leg holding in and getting excited for your next treatment? I would think avoiding more treatment would be enough incentive to heal. Undecided
                  How about you?

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

I figured it was time for an update. I have been doing PT for a while now (6 weeks or so maybe?) which has really helped with regaining some of the muscles that disappeared over the past year or so. Unfortunately, it hasnt helped with the pain. I still cant walk that much on it or it hurts. Angry I am heading back from Israel in under 3 weeks - I am leaving about 6 weeks early (missing Passover here with my family! Cry) I have an appointment with my surgeon in Nashville for April 15th and am scheduled for a contrast-injection MRI. (Ick! Needles in the hip dont sound fun!!!) I start class again in June (Surgical ICU most likely) so I dont have a lot of time to play. I am almost more scared that the MRI will show that there is nothing wrong. Though the idea that there is something wrong to fix is really not that exciting either. So I guess either way I wont be happy with the results. Anyway, 7 more days of classes. So weird!!! Take care all!!!
                    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Hrm... That sucks! That's all I got to say.
                        Yeah. It does suck. So much for running by July as a "conservative" estimate. (July 2007 that is.) And I am bummed I didnt get to hike around Israel this year. Or my family doesnt get to join me for Passover. Or that I am worried about going back to school and unsure if I can finish the year the way things are now.
                        Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I still cant walk that much on it or it hurts. Angry
                          That's the part that stuck out the most. That's no way to live life, especially when the whole point of surgery was to fix it. Did the doctors provide an explanation?
                            You've been on my mind lately, Abby, thanks for posting the update. So sad that you are still having pain walking. I'm glad that you are getting another MRI done. ((((((hugs))))))) and keeping fingers crossed that this will give you an answer.

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

That's the part that stuck out the most. That's no way to live life, especially when the whole point of surgery was to fix it. Did the doctors provide an explanation?
                              The point of surgery was so I could get on with my life without worrying about the fracture completing. (My surgeon told me she "saved" my hip and was no longer worried I would end up with a hip-replacement by 30....). Of course, it was supposed to fix it. And eventually it did - as of a CT scan in January the fracture is healed. Why it still hurts is a mystery - our current guess is I also tore some cartilage in it. But we arent sure. Thats why we have the injection MRI scheduled (by injecting the hip with contrast before the MIR you can see the hip capsule and look for problems that way). I havent actually seen my surgeon since last summer though we have spoken and e-mailed and I will see her in about 2 weeks. Hopefully I will have more answers then. As I said, I dont know if I am more worried that the MRI will show something or nothing....
                                Heading to Nashville in a couple hours to see my doc tomorrow. Think lots of relaxing thougths for me around 1 while I am getting my hip injected for the MRI. And of course lots of profound, wise answer thoughts too while you are at it...