On the Bench

Taking my place on the bench... (Read 144 times)

Now that was a bath...

Well I have another two weeks five days left where I am being advised not to run (and that's the minimum) so I should start off the action over here. I have a referral with the head physiotherapist tomorrow to see if she thinks I will benefit from a bone scan and I am still having physio on Monday, Wednesday and Friday every week. I am leaning towards shin splints as my leg seems to have improved some in the last few days. Finger's crossed that I am right! We should see if Eric will let us sticky some info on the big five running injuries as questions come up about them again and again. I have been running 3 months now and I have been benched for almost five weeks in all! Girl needs to slow down. I am going to make it my mission to return to running with appropriate training. It's hard though. I feel like a tightly coiled spring waiting for release and I am absolutely itching to get a base so that I can start the Lydiard training as I had previously planned. Be my valium. calm me down. Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      Hi Claire, I've been keeping the bench warm for everyone! I have been out of running since November 29th (ok, I admit I have tried a couple of short "test" runs). But no real training. I also feel like a tightly coiled spring. For awhile there around Christmas I was nice and calm and ok with not being able to excercise cause I was so busy. Plus, not being to run my first HM in January depressed me a bit which was quite valium-like. But now... I just want to get in shape again!! I have maintained the same wieght since the injury but have lost 3% body muscle back to fat, which feels gross). I'm so glad to hear that your leg seems to be feeling better these last few days. My guess is if you're still walking everywhere and not in excruiating pain it's probably not a stress fracture, or at least not a severe one. I think it's a great idea to post some stickys about common injuries. I almost wish I had a common injury, that way at least I had some idea of how to fix it!! It never bothers me much during the short test runs,but later that night it is unbearable. I'm doing physical therapy now and the guy swears that once we get the alignment in my foot fixed I will feel better. No luck yet. But then again, he says I have a very unusual injury so he doesn't know how long it will take once the alignment is right. I tried new orthotics and shoes again today so maybe this time is the charm. Smile Not much calming down here, but I share the twitching urge to run. Especially since this is the ideal time to run in Florida.. sunny, mild and no humidity. By late March the heat and humidity will be back and I don't want to have missed the entire good season! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for us both.

Dog-Love

I'm in with you here and I feel your pain. I have 1.5 weeks until surgery so I am running slowly and inconsistently this week just to remember what it is like. I would like to post pictures of the surgery to remind folks why they should pay attention during their runs so they don't torque and tear a meniscus. I feel so much stiffer now that I am not spending 4 days a week running and stretching. I miss sweating and the way my head feels after a run. Maybe we are all in a withdrawal user group
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          Claire, Did you receive the results of your bone scan yet?
          So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3