On the Bench

Checkin - Apr 17 (Read 385 times)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Howdy folks! Sorry for the late checkin. My entire weekend revolved around the Boston Marathon. I'm actually glad to be back at work again. On with the checkin. My piriformis is still bothering me. I'm thinking it could be I stood and walked around too much this weekend. I ran 4 miles on Thursday and didn't have any pains so I'm encouraged. Maybe a month more of this and my running life can return to normal.

Finished!

Brr! The Marathon had challenging weather I hear. I hope to have more news tomorrow - still no running here, and the techs and radiologist refused to tell me the results of the bone scan, so I'll hear it tomorrow from the Podiatrist. My insurance has apparently approved a new pair of orthotic devices - I suspect we're going to go with a more rigid pair this time, my current ones are made more for hiking and such, and as such are more flexible because the activities are low impact. In some ways I hope they find something of note on the scan, because otherwise I don't know what's wrong with my legs!
      Walk + Jog = wog.
      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
        Nothing good to report here. I swam laps Saturday and the pain started after 30 minutes. By Saturday night I felt awful. Sunday morning was better so I tried DWR for 20 minutes and that hurt too. By Sunday night my foot was throbbing so badly that cutting it off seemd like a reasonable option. I am not encouraged that I can't even do non-impact stuff without being in pain. There isn't pain when pressing anywhere on the foot, but the pain inside is brutal and getting worse. I felt like the muscle was ripping away from the bone for awhile on Saturday night when I moved my foot in a certain way. Yesterday I wore my orthotics all day and while some pain was there it was a big improvement over the weekend, so apparently any continuous excercise is bad. My next appt. is the 24th and I have a feeling it is going to involve a new MRI and possibly a cast and crutches.
          In some ways I hope they find something of note on the scan, because otherwise I don't know what's wrong with my legs!
          I hope so too. My MRI back in Januray showed nothing and it is so frusterating! How can something show up on several xrays but not an MRI?? Did I just catch it in the wrong time between healing and re-injuring myself?

Now that was a bath...

Well I am back on the bench. I found my limit - 5 miles. Ran it the first time and felt fine, two days later and I got stabbing pains and weakness in my leg. Physio is starting again next week as I have just received my next block of 14 free sessions. I am pissed off. It was going so well. I am taking an extra rest day but I am still getting twinges. IF I go out tomorrow I will keep it short and close to home. Still waiting on that MRI. Maybe I do still need it after all! I just couldn't bear to leave y'all. Claire xxx And Eric - it's hunky dory to have you back. Big hugs from across the ocean.
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

One of my favorite radio shows is This American Life. I have almost every episode on my iPod. I can't keep track of which one I've heard so I just put it on random and hope for the best. A couple of weeks ago, I listened to the episode titled "Before It Had a Name". I've heard it before and I thought of this group. In the prolog, it talked about how a farmer's cows suddenly behaved strangely. Instead of drinking their water like normal cows do (not that I know how they drink), they would stick their tongues out and lap like a dog. They also produced half the milk. He even bought a new herd of cows (word of the day: kine is the plural form of cows) but they too started doing the same thing. This went on for 10 years and he went broke and had to sell the farm. He is now a truck driver and he loves it. It turned out that there was a power line near by and leaked electricity when the ground is wet. Of course, the ground is nearly always wet near the troughs that the kine drank from. So every time they drank, they got a shock. And if they don't drink their water, they can't produce milk! So, the unknown is so much worse than the truth and it applies to us. I rather know what my problem is because that means there might be a cure. Without it, no treatment can proceed and we're stuck in purgatory. I hope your problems will be resolved soon. Claire: {{{{{ HUG }}}}} Why? Just because.
                Well, after my rather upbeat update in the coaching forum - I am sitting here with my leg elevated - not going to the gym to do my strength work out Sad I was out for 3 hrs doing errands this morning - as I was standing in the last check out line, I noticed an ache in my leg - this while wearing my bone stimulator(yes - I even wear it while I'm out - otherwise hard to get all the hours in). It's still aching when I stand - not a lot - just enough to know that it's there. I am not as "healed" as I thought I was. Woodlandsprite - keeping my fingers crossed that you get definitive news tomorrow Shaunna - try not to be too discouraged - I had the same problem last year with the DWR - my leg would not just hurt - it would swell if I did more than a short workout - you don't have ground impact - what you do have is pull against the injured bone from your tendons/ligaments/muscles. I think foot stuff must hurt more because there is no place for the swelling to go - it's just encased in bone - Claire - don't worry - we'll find you on other forums - give us hope and get running again! Eric - glad to hear you are better - now please - cheer us all up with some Boston stories!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Now that was a bath...

I echo the Boston story request. I'd love to hear all about your trip Eric! Cheryl, your symptoms sound just like mine! I have this ache in my bone. I call it a stabbing pain but it's more of a stabbing ache and sometimes it's just dull and there for a long while. Mine got worse yesterday when I did three hours yard work. I'm so mad that I have to miss a day running. Every time that I go out means so much to me at the moment. Shaunna, yikes! It sounds like you are really suffering. I hope that it eases up soon for you. I too am hoping that a healing stress fracture shoes on my MRI as otherwise I may have to consider that something more troublesome is keeping me from running!
                • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                    Cheryl, your symptoms sound just like mine! I have this ache in my bone. I call it a stabbing pain but it's more of a stabbing ache and sometimes it's just dull and there for a long while.
                    Hey - I'm not in PT anymore ask yours if these aches and pains are "healing pains" I'm looking for straws here...

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

Cheryl- It's weird, there isn't any visible swelling at all. Maybe it's like you said, since it's in the foot there is nowhere for the swelling to go? I will ask about that at my next appt. I was taking strong anti-inflamatories and Advil and Celebrex (not at the same time!) with no relief. I'm trying to stay positive. At least I got in a nice strength upper body workout today. I'm sorry you had some pain reoccurrence... it sucks when you can't even do regular errands without pain. Claire- sorry to welcome you back. I hope that you haven't had a relapse and you just need a few days off before trying to run again. I'm hoping for you! Eric- Thanks for posting the story. I know cows getting electrocuted isn't funny, but the visual image of them lapping the water was amusing to me. Smile I think I need a vacation!
                        Is anyone having a good week? Or am I missing something. Confused I had a good weekend (I went on strike from my crutches for most of it), but now I am hurting more. I feel like spending time in the hospital makes my hip hurt more - and I am not convinced that being on crutches is helping. Ick. I e-mailed my doctor but didnt hear back. And there's still no note on my chart from my meeting with him 3 weeks ago. (Gotta love easy access to your own medical records!) OK, I am going back to bed. I took a longer nap this evening than I planned and need to be up relatively early tomorrow. Hope the week gets better for everyone!!!
                          Shaunna - ouch - hope it feels better with a few days rest DH convinced me that I was probably just tired from yesterday's work out - so we went to the club together tonight and it was fine - no problems and so far no pain. For some reason when I'm out walking around doing errands, my leg bothers me more than when I work out - I think it might be the prolonged weight bearing? In any case, I can see that I am not ready to restart a return to run program yet - so hopefully that will help me relax about my extra week wait for follow up. Abbagimp - sorry to hear that your hip still hurts - how long have you been on crutches? I got a copy of my assessment - my favorite part was that I was "well nourished and well developed" (before you say anything that's developed - not endowed Tongue) I'm sure there is a standard form that is used! - My least favorite was that I had an "antalgic" gait - I guess I should change my name to Poolgimp Wink Sockoni and Westward13 - you still here? Hope you are doing better

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Ms. Gimp, so it's more like do as you say and not as you do? What possessed you to go off crutches? If I were you, I'd milk the crutches for as long as I can. Nothing beats sympathy love. Speaking of which, my latest favorite word is Munchausen, as in Munchausen Syndrome. Sometimes I feel that my physical therapists and doctor may suspect I have it because I keep nagging about a pain which they have no clue about. Cooler still is Munchausen by proxy. If I have the former, then my friend has the latter. But, I swear the pain does exist. Don't they understand that I rather be out running than nagging them? Bleh.

Finished!

So, the unknown is so much worse than the truth and it applies to us. I rather know what my problem is because that means there might be a cure. Without it, no treatment can proceed and we're stuck in purgatory.
                              I appear to be stuck in Purgatory. Bone scan was negative for stress fractures or shin splints. Next course of action is more rigid orthotics. They took the casts of the feet today, and I won't have them for a month. PT is allowed to put me back on the dreadmill, but if my feet complain, I'm to back off again Sad *sigh* Shaunna - Sorry to hear of all the pain Sad And I do hope they are able to diagnose you at your next visit! Claire: Sorry to see you back here - I seem to have similar wierd aches as well, except I can't even get to 5 miles. Cheryl - sorry to hear about your aches, I hope the slight hiccup has put you back on track for recovery! Eric: Glad to hear you're showing some progress Big grin
                              Walk + Jog = wog.
                              I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                              I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I appear to be stuck in Purgatory. Bone scan was negative for stress fractures or shin splints. Next course of action is more rigid orthotics. They took the casts of the feet today, and I won't have them for a month.
                                Sometimes a non-result could just be as useful as a positive result. Now you're narrowing down the possibilities. I have more faith in rigid orthotics than the soft ones as they will hold your foot in a certain position. Let's hope the orthotics will fix your problem.