On the Bench

The Injury Spotlight Thread... (Read 290 times)

Now that was a bath...

I thought that it would be useful for others joining us on the bench to have a detailed rundown of our injuries. Then people can browse this thread and see how others in similar situations have coped and hopefully overcome injury to return to running. I'll post a list of spotlight questions here that you can just copy and paste into the reply box. We can modify and update the details as they become relevant and fill in any spaces that we haven't been able to answer yet. Injury Spotlight Questions 1.) Where is the injury? 2.) How did it start? 3.) Is it a new injury or a re-ocurring one? 4.) What are your symptoms and how does the pain manifest? 5.) Do you have an official diagnosis from a trained professional? If so what is it? 6.) Is it preventing you from running? 7.) What treatments have you received if any? 8.) What have you tried yourself to resolve this ? (orthotics, new shoes, strapping, running on grass etc.) 9.) What have you done to cross train and maintain fitness? 10) What is the prognosis for treatment strategies and returning to running? 11) Any tips for someone having a similar problem? 12) What do you think caused your injury? 13) Any issues with returning to running? 14) Now you are better - what was your total recovery time to the point of returning to running properly?
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Now that was a bath...

1.) Where is the injury? My right leg. Tibia, left side of the bone about one - two inches above my ankle bone 2.) How did it start? I ran my first race on Jan 20th (a 12K on concrete hills) and have not been able to run since. Since the race running has been very painful and my leg feels weak. 3.) Is it a new injury or a re-ocurring one? A new injury 4.) What are your symptoms and how does the pain manifest? When I start to run my leg feels weak and tingly. Eventually it feels tight and I can feel a vibration of pain up the bone. From day one I could tell you exactly where the bone was broken. It hurts lots if you press on the bone in the hot zone. When I stop running it hurts much more and I am unable to do my stretches as I cannot support my body weight on my right leg. Now, 10 weeks post injury I am pain free unless I run. 5.) Do you have an official diagnosis from a trained professional? If so what is it? Probable stress fracture. Getting MRI next week hopefully. 6.) Is it preventing you from running? Unfortunately yes 7.) What treatments have you received if any? At physio - massage, ultrasound and inteferential sessions. I also have a podiatrist that videoed and assessed my running gait both bare foot and in my shoes. It was found that I am neutral bare foot and pronating severely with the shoes on. It seems I could have been sold bad shoes! 8.) What have you tried yourself to resolve this ? (orthotics, new shoes, strapping, running on grass etc.) New shoes after the analysts picked some for me. Ice to deal with the pain early on, lot's of anti-inflammatory pills, physio exercises to regain strength in my right leg and foot, lot's of rest. 9.) What have you done to cross train and maintain fitness? Nothing. My bad. 10) What is the prognosis for treatment strategies and returning to running? More physio, MRI to see what we are dealing with. Carefully constructed return to running program created by sports physio and doc and possible ortotics if I still need them with my new shoes. 11) Any tips for someone having a similar problem? Trust your instincts. If it hurts to much to run, get to an expert quick. Feel your way through the return to running - too much too soon will put you back here 12) What do you think caused your injury? A mixture of poor shoes and the old 'too much too soon' chestnut 13) Any issues with returning to running? I tried at 8 weeks into my recovery. Symptoms and pain returned immediately. 14) Now you are better - what was your total recovery time to the point of returning to running properly?
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Dog-Love

This post was a mistake...I don't know what happened
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Dog-Love

I thought that it would be useful for others joining us on the bench to have a detailed rundown of our injuries. Then people can browse this thread and see how others in similar situations have coped and hopefully overcome injury to return to running. I'll post a list of spotlight questions here that you can just copy and paste into the reply box. We can modify and update the details as they become relevant and fill in any spaces that we haven't been able to answer yet.
          Injury Spotlight Questions Clair...I rejoined the group so that I could see who said goodby to me and also answer this great thread...now I am really going to leave...REALLY. Its just that I get so attached and addicted to these forums. See ya 1.) Where is the injury? It was on the inside of my knee 2.) How did it start? I was running with 2 girl friends down a beautiful trail, stopped to tie my shoue, and when I sprinted ahead I "tweaked" my knee 3.) Is it a new injury or a re-ocurring one? It happened in October 4.) What are your symptoms and how does the pain manifest? It was a sharp pain while I ran sometimes. and sometimes just a pain...kind of dull but always there. When I went skiing and was on the lift, the weight of my boot gave it pain 5.) Do you have an official diagnosis from a trained professional? If so what is it? Well In Jan I went to a sports med doc and a week later got an MRI. 6.) Is it preventing you from running? I ran through pain and everyone gave me a hard time for that 7.) What treatments have you received if any? Arthroscopic surgery and some really good drugs to go with that 8.) What have you tried yourself to resolve this ? (orthotics, new shoes, strapping, running on grass etc.) I tried 2 weeks of not running and I tried alot of ice. I bought a new pair of Ascics and nothing really helped 9.) What have you done to cross train and maintain fitness? I rode a stationary bike and walked a bit. Strength training 10) What is the prognosis for treatment strategies and returning to running? Excellent 11) Any tips for someone having a similar problem? Get it looked at as soon as ytou can becasue as soon as it is fixed, the sooner you can get back to what we all enjoy doing...running 12) What do you think caused your injury? (see #2) 13) Any issues with returning to running? I am starting slow 1st day 0.5 miles. 2nd day double that for a mile. Today is a rest day. Tomorrow 2 miles. I think I will stabelize at 4 miles 4 times per week for 3 weeks and then start training for an October marathon 14) Now you are better - what was your total recovery time to the point of returning to running properly? From the surgury to minor running...4 weeks exactly
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

1.) Where is the injury? My extreme lower back. I can even claim it's my rear end. 2.) How did it start? No idea. One day in December, just out of the blue I started getting sciatica during a long run. I think the sciatica is gone, but replaced with piriformis syndrome. This is a self diagnosis, as no one knows what's wrong with me. 3.) Is it a new injury or a re-ocurring one? new 4.) What are your symptoms and how does the pain manifest? My piriformis (both sides, closest to the spine) hurts pretty much constantly. Hurts when I'm sitting down, when I'ms standing, when I'm lying in my bed. It's not unbearable, but enough to know if I run, it'll get a lot worse. 5.) Do you have an official diagnosis from a trained professional? If so what is it? No one knows what it is. It was sciatica, but my doctor thinks it might be a muscle strain. 6.) Is it preventing you from running? I was told my by physical therapists to stop running for a while. I probably shouldn't be running right now but since I'm not under anyone's watch, I started running a little again. As I see it, I can either get better, or get a lot worse, in which case I can seek medical care again. 7.) What treatments have you received if any? deep muscle massage, stretching, heating, icing, ultrasound therapy, strengthening, ibuprofen 8.) What have you tried yourself to resolve this ? (orthotics, new shoes, strapping, running on grass etc.) stretching, icing, heating, sitting on a towel folded into a triangle, sitting on a tennis ball, strengthening 9.) What have you done to cross train and maintain fitness? I tried, but nothing gets my heart rate up high enough to be effective. Did stationary bike and elliptical. 10) What is the prognosis for treatment strategies and returning to running? I'm in limbo right now, hoping that it'll go away eventually. 11) Any tips for someone having a similar problem? Nope. Don't wish it on anyone. 12) What do you think caused your injury? Too much running? 13) Any issues with returning to running? Yes, it hurts for a mile or so until I'm fully warmed up. Even then I can only run slowly. Any kind of strain will make it worse. 14) Now you are better - what was your total recovery time to the point of returning to running properly? I am?
              1.) Where is the injury? Right lower tibia - about 3" up from the ankle bone (inside) 2.) How did it start? shin splints after winter running 3.) Is it a new injury or a re-ocurring one? Last year, I had an injury to my mid-upper inner right tibia that was diagnosed as soft tissue injury, but that has since been proven to be a double stress fracture. So I guess this is a recurring injury - same leg - different location. 4.) What are your symptoms and how does the pain manifest? swelling over injury, pinpoint pain about a thumbspan wide, pain is only present for the 1st 15 minutes of my run - and then pain free for the duration (average 60+ min runs) - I did have some pain after the run, especially going down stairs. Sometimes it would ache at night when I was in bed. 5.) Do you have an official diagnosis from a trained professional? If so what is it? stress fracture R tibia per bone scan 6.) Is it preventing you from running? yes 7.) What treatments have you received if any? bone stimulator to speed healing, initially ultrasound, massage 8.) What have you tried yourself to resolve this ? (orthotics, new shoes, strapping, running on grass etc.) I wear orthotics (got them after last year's injury) - I was icing and stretching 9.) What have you done to cross train and maintain fitness? I am being restricted on a lot of lower body work for the 1st 6 weeks - so I am doing deep water running 3x/week, swimming, elliptical, upper body strength training, core work. 10) What is the prognosis for treatment strategies and returning to running? I am told that I can expect up to 12 weeks recovery - and will probably be using the bone stimulator for up to a year. Doc says he doesn't see why I couldn't return to running after recovery. 11) Any tips for someone having a similar problem? If you have pain for more than 2 weeks - please check it out. I did not present in a typical fashion, however, I did continue to have pain usually 4- 6+ hrs after my runs - I should have had it checked out with a bone scan sooner. 12) What do you think caused your injury? running outside in my "ice bugs" - new shoes - really hard - and running on frozen ground 13) Any issues with returning to running? 14) Now you are better - what was your total recovery time to the point of returning to running properly? Note: wish I had been more proactive about a bone scan last year - I did ask repeatedly of both my PCP and my PT if they were sure I didn't have a stress fracture. I didn't know better at the time, as I was a fairly new runner. I did not have a typical presentation - since there were 2 fracture sites within 2 " of each other - pain and swelling was spread over a larger area than you would typically expect to see. Had I known that I had sustained stress fractures last year - I would have curtailed my running at the first sign of pain - particularly since it was the same leg. I should have listened to my gut instinct.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group