On the Bench

Arthroscopic Surgery (Read 166 times)

Dog-Love

Well since I can't write a race report, I think I will give you the scoop on arthroscopic surgery...my first time! The worst part for me was the blood draw the day before. My husband took me to the hospital at 9:00 and stayed with me until 9:30 when he had to run some errands. I was put on an IV (no big deal) and then at 11 my doctor Alan (my son's soccer buddy's dad) and anesthesiologist Paul (my son's friends dad) came in to see if I wanted a spinal or general. I had been thinking about this a bit and I am not that keen on watching them drill my knee, and they said that with a general I would be up and out sooner. So I went with the general and they injected some "happy fluid" in the IV and I felt very good indeed. They wheeled me into surgery and I was still aware (barely) of my surroundings. In a second I was in recovery shivering like crazy. Brenda (nurse) gave me some demerol (more happy fluid) and then back to my room. Alan said it took 19 minutes for the actual surgery and that it was a big tear (pictures next Thursday) and it was real clean. No pain at all...no nausea...handsome doctors and nurses...mellow drugs...can it get better than that? My family is awesome and taking great care of me. My 13 yr old son made me an organic smoothie..and my daughter and I watched episodes of Friends. Today 24 hours later, my family went up skiing for the day because I want the house to myself and its a gorgeous blue sky day with lots of new snow. Also too much attention by 3 family members can be too much of a good thing. I am on crutches but can walk without them, am doing quad contractions and leg lifts for early PT and can be back running from 4-6 weeks. I am going to remain conservative and not push it even if that rabbit is out of site. Thanks for all of your thoughts and sorry for the long report but Hey...those percocets are something else. Not quite as good a a runner's high though.
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
      I'm glad the surgery went well and it sounds like you are aready well on the road to recovery!
        Thanks for keeping us posted - I bet you are glad that is behind you, and you will be up and running when the "good"weather is back! I would love to run the coastal trail with you - let me know if you come down this summer!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Dog-Love

You bet I will be glad when this is behind me. It went really well but I am bored with lying around. My kids are really helpful but I would rather be running around. I don't get up to Anch much in the summer but usually in the Fall. I will keep in touch
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Dog-Love

Well its been exactly 2 weeks and 2 days since the surgery and yesterday I went cross country skiing (3.5 miles) with my kids and aside from my muscles aching it felt great!!! I am NOT going to run though until 5 weeks is passed! I am kind of getting used to not running.

Now that was a bath...

Wow, I am shocked that you can ski already! It's great that you are recovering so well. ONly another couple of weeks and you'll be running. Big grin Claire xxx
            • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
            • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Dog-Love

Well I was shocked at how fast the knee healed, but they say if you are going to have to have any arthroscopic surgery the torn meniscus is the way to go. A friend of mine said he was ice skating less than 2 weeks after his surgery, but you know he was 30 and a young buck. But I am feeling better every day. No pain, but not complete mobility. I am counting the weeks!