On the Bench

Just getting comfy! (Read 394 times)

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd get comfy here since my PT has officially benched me post-yesterday's 25K race. I new in advance I'd be here. I started PT on my lower leg last Monday, just 5 days pre-race. By Wed, his comment was that he should tell me not to run the race, but since he is a runner & knows how much I've trained, he's going to let it happen if I promise to sit the bench immediately post-race. He also said he'd like a few weeks of benching, but will be realistic and beg me to sit for a week at least! Smile So here I am, with my posterior shin splints, my soleus muscle strain, and some incredible bruising from having the e-stem adhesive pads pulled off my leg! Here I sit, thinking about just doing a little 2 mile run to loosen up from yesterday's race (but I won't cause I promised). Roll eyes
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
      Hey everyone! Just thought I'd get comfy here since my PT has officially benched me post-yesterday's 25K race. I new in advance I'd be here. I started PT on my lower leg last Monday, just 5 days pre-race. By Wed, his comment was that he should tell me not to run the race, but since he is a runner & knows how much I've trained, he's going to let it happen if I promise to sit the bench immediately post-race. He also said he'd like a few weeks of benching, but will be realistic and beg me to sit for a week at least! Smile So here I am, with my posterior shin splints, my soleus muscle strain, and some incredible bruising from having the e-stem adhesive pads pulled off my leg! Here I sit, thinking about just doing a little 2 mile run to loosen up from yesterday's race (but I won't cause I promised). Roll eyes
      I am not sure if "welcome back" is the right greeting, but thanks for keeping us company! I've been lying down for a while and am ready to sit up more, so theres a warm seat here I am happy to share with you! And I hope you are here only briefly!!! (Though you are welcome to stay after you are better!) Sounds tough. Doesnt it seem like injuries always show up just a week or two before the race you are training for? (I have actually been really lucky in that regard! My IT band bothered me a couple weeks after my first half! And I didnt really have any race goals this fall - yeah a couple things I wanted to do, but nothing like this is the marathon I have been training for for the past year.) It sounds like the race went really well and you had a great time - I am so glad you got to run it! I bet the week will go by so quick you wont even notice it!
        So here I am, with my posterior shin splints, my soleus muscle strain, and some incredible bruising from having the e-stem adhesive pads pulled off my leg! Here I sit, thinking about just doing a little 2 mile run to loosen up from yesterday's race (but I won't cause I promised). Roll eyes
        Oh no!!! This is the part of the story I had no idea about!! Sorry you're here Eryn! I've only started to get back out there after doing what I think was too much too soon and on pavement straight from sand and snow to boot! I'm living and learning. Smile Good that you've got restraint and you're "following orders"! Hard to do that, isn't it!??
          Hi Ery - love your new avitar!!!! Wishing you short visit!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Finished!

hey Smile I have/had shin splints too....while I've been cleared from PT, I'm still not sure if I'm cured...so I'm still hanging out near the bench... here;s wishing you a speedy recovery. PS, anyone here know anything about the ProStretch? I always have a heck of a time getting a good stretch through both the calf and soleus, It seems silly to pay $29 for something like this, but if it keeps me away from PT, it may be worth it...
            Walk + Jog = wog.
            I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
            I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
              hey Smile I have/had shin splints too....while I've been cleared from PT, I'm still not sure if I'm cured...so I'm still hanging out near the bench... here;s wishing you a speedy recovery. PS, anyone here know anything about the ProStretch? I always have a heck of a time getting a good stretch through both the calf and soleus, It seems silly to pay $29 for something like this, but if it keeps me away from PT, it may be worth it...
              Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! Smile I'd say I'm happy to be here, but I'd rather it was just a social visit. I have a heck of a time with the calf & soleus stretch, actually with a good number of muscles in various places. The PT says that is one hard thing about treating me (he's seen me before for other issues too), most people come in to PT w/ no idea how to stretch or how much to stretch, or don't know whether to use heat, ice, anti-inflammatories, etc. I know all of the above in most cases. Usually when I see my PT, I'm doing all of those things. And when he works on stretching things, he laughs that I'm too flexible already & he can't even get a good stretch. Ok, so two days post-25K race, my hams & quads were definitely stretchable!!! I'll have to ask him what he knows about that ProStretch, Sprite. I'm going to be seeing him twice wkly for the next cpl weeks! After the race, I've developed some new inflammation/swelling issue, likely related to the aforementioned injuries, but horribly painful anyways!
              So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3