On the Bench

I just knew it.... (Read 318 times)

I just knew if I left this group I would jinx myself and end up back in here again

Sigh, our running season is so short.  

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

oh no Cheryl! what happened?

Hi Shaunna - I saw a PT I trust and he's thinking hip flexor - just hard to pinpoint which one - 10 days off then re-evaluate. I've had consistent pain the last 24 hours, and it kept me up last night. Couldn't take anything cause I was fasting for labs. I'm sad, because I had a goal half in mid August, and now if I do it, it'll likely be a run/walk. I already paid, so I'd like to at least finish it.

How is your knee doing?

Thanks for talking to me, I was afraid I was all alone in here.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

That stinks, hopefully some time off and stregthening/stretching will make a difference and you'll be able to at least mostly run that half in August.

You are not alone in here. I am not really on the bench, but not off either and I am too afraid to leave! The knee is OK. I've been working with a running PT for a year now and am at the point where I can do 3 miles without much pain, but anytime I try to push beyond that I get a mix of stuff all around the knee. Some IT Band, some kneecap rubbing, some hamstring, etc. So for now I've agreed to just stick with 3 miles 4-5 times a week and hit the gym for other cross training. Which I am OK with since it is 90+ degrees and humid and not even pleasant to run at 6 am! Once fall hits I am going to try to increase mileage again and work the with PT more frequently and try to break through this barrier.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Cheryl:  You're not alone and no such thing as jinxes - just bad luck.  I come back every so often just to check on friends that got me thru last year. I was surprised to find you here again.  Sorry to hear about the hip.  After I saw you back, I rejoined group.  You got me thru last year - I will do same for you.

Shaunna:  We never met, but sorry to hear about the knee trouble.  I found that I do better with light leg weight training and biking on my rest days.  Something I really didn't do until my SF last year.  Now I stick to regular training schedule as much as possible.  Unlike last year where I overtrained and was down for 10 wks.

Have a good weekend and take it easy.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Shaunna - sorry to hear that you are still having knee issues, but glad it's not keeping you from XT. I tried running a couple of times, but it's not going well. I start having issues at 3 miles as well, and that's with liberal walk breaks. Today I'm having back spasms, but the hip pain is not as bad, although it is still here. I've written off any more races this year. I just want to be able to get back out and enjoy what's left of the summer. In the meantime, I've been doing the "Clean House" thing - that's probably why my back is protesting....

I'm trying to stay positive, but right now, after last year's struggles, I'm really starting to question if it's worth it.

Another birthday is right around the corner and I'm feeling my age for what seems like the first time.

Joe! How are you doing? Seriously, you signed back up to listen to me whine????

thanks, your support is much appreciated

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I'm trying to stay positive, but right now, after last year's struggles, I'm really starting to question if it's worth it.

Another birthday is right around the corner and I'm feeling my age for what seems like the first time.

Joe! How are you doing? Seriously, you signed back up to listen to me whine????

thanks, your support is much appreciated

Yup so whine away.  But seriously you got me riding bike and joining the 1000mile bike run forum.  I was real down after SF and almost gave up running for good.   I am doing o.k. since then.  Tthe metarsal SF is healed but area gets a little sensitive it I land wrong on that foot or during some long runs. 

RE: the hip have you tried doing leg lift excercises?  Real easy to add to any core excercises you may be doing.  I had a hip problem 3 years ago or so and they helped.  You can do lateral, one leg, or even use a bozu.  Basically strengthens the thighs.  Also pools flutter kicks helped too. 

I injured  my hip by using a "new" leg weight machine at fitness center.  I think between the running and other weight excercises, I threw off the balance of upper leg muscles.  It felt like I dislocated the joint. Real painful took a few  (4) weeks to heal. 

Shaunna I hope you are doing better.

Joe Suder

The PT gave me several hip exercises to do - including single leg bridges - but it just feels like it's making things worse right now. The left hip thing is now affecting my right side, and last week, my right leg went numb when I tried to run. I have a massage scheduled for Wednesday, and I'm hoping that it will make a difference. In the meantime, I can't wait until my house is all in order. It's probably not a bad thing that I'm taking some serious down time from running - I just hate the effort it takes to get back in shape! At least I'm making some progress on catching up on my bike miles. I finally got my bike off the trainer  - what a blast going 20 mph with the wind hard in your face!

4 weeks to heal your hip? I guess what's going on with me is not that unusual. Helps to know that.

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Cheryl,

I don't want to mislead so the 4 weeks was probably for a muscle strain.   When it happened to me it was right before a trip to Disney World.  Everytime I stepped the wrong way or stepped down off or tripped on a curb felt like my hip/leg was falling off.  So that vacation was not my favorite since I had to hobble along to keep up with kids. 

Yeah I need to start logging bike miles too but bike needs service -derailer skipping again.  Your right, re: nothing better than riding fast...especially down a steep hill.

Joe Suder

Not going well. The run/walk thing is not working. I have hip pain most days. Today I tried once more to walk/run and the numbness was back to the foot. My left hip feels weak. Motor control in left foot is not feeling too stable. I get the leg numbness even on the bike. I still can't feel pain in any particular muscle. I give up. I don't think I can exercise anymore until I find out what's going on. This started June 17th. I managed to get an appointment with my FP doc this afternoon. I'm going to request an MRI of my low back and left hip. Although I don't really believe I have a stress fracture somewhere in my hip, some of my recent symptoms are similar to the femoral stress fracture I had 2 years ago, and with my history, it is something I need to rule out. Keep your fingers crossed for me - I hope I'm just being paranoid.

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Another Passion

You're never alone, Cheryl!  Sorry to hear of your hip troubles.  I hope it is something simple that will resolve for you, Cheryl, and you're able to do your August half.  VERY frustrating, indeed!  Though I rarely post here, I am not leaving.  I still walk (or more correctly run, I guess) a fine line with the right lower leg issues I had from my first marathon and now, like you, Cheryl, I have been experiencing some left hip pain.  It's like a nagging, dull pain inside the joint itself, almost as if the joint is partially dislocated and never gets better or worse.  My DC seems to think it might be bursitis.  This has come on in the last few weeks for me as well.   I had been doing really well in building mileage slowly and without issues and now, this.  I totally feel your frustration, Cheryl.  Good luck with your hip.

Nice to see posts from you, Shaunna.  Glad you are doing fairly well! 

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I just wanted to echo everyone elses posts and say hang on in there Cheryl.  Things will improve, it's hard being on the bench, but you'll get there.  In the meantime it's good to let off steam about it, and we're all here to listen as we all sympathise with it and know how hard it is to be out of running and to find ways of maintaing and regaining fitness.  You'll be so pleased to get back running though that you'll not care as much about fitness as you think (that's certainly what I found, and I still think myself lucky after every run).  Good luck with everything.

Shaunna, glad things are improving. 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Rick! Nice to hear from you - I'm not real good with the FB thing. I thought about bursitis as well. I saw my FP, she said sciatica and had me see a DO in their office for evaluation and adjustment. He said not sciatica but maybe spine (although not having back pain) - the pain just feels like it's right in my hip joint. Had an MRI of my hip - nothing - which is good news and bad news, at least nothing structurally wrong with my hip, but not anxious to have another MRI on my spine. I think the advil is helping, which does seem to point to sciatica. In the meantime, sitting on a bike for a long time is bad, so I'd rather wait and just try to run - I'm trying to get back to alternate day runs and see what happens. I'm holding off on the spine MRI until I talk to my PT (tomorrow).

Rick, I hope things work out soon for you as well. I feel your frustration too. I had hoped to run another marathon this year, but now, I just don't think another marathon is in my future - but I still want to run that half - but I'm hoping common sense will keep me from doing it - at this point, it's just not enough time to build mileage to a safe level to handle running it without risking further injury. I know this, and yet, I still hope for some miracle to happen and I"ll suddenly be able to run pain free again.

Hoppity, thanks  your kind words and good thoughts, it's much appreciated!

At least I am reclaiming my house - going through top to bottom, and I swear I will never let clutter get out of hand ever again! Apparently I was a closet mail hoarder - the oldest bill I took to the shredder yesterday was from 2000

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Cheryl,

How you doing?  Hope things are improving...

Joe Suder

Well, since giving up on any more racing this year and accepting that I lost out on this summer's running - I find I am more at peace with my situation. Despite deep massage that leaves me bruised, and cutting waaaay back on activitiy - there is still an injury there - it's been close to 8 weeks now. "Something" is pulling on my right groin - "something" is causing my L butt muscles to stay in a state of tension - "something" is still causing me pain in the hip area - but it is better. Not the DO, PT or massage therapist can find the root cause of my issues - apparently "something" very deep is major ticked off - but where that is, we do not know. Nothing to do but keep up with the therapeutic exercises, and I am not going to attempt to resume running until I get the go ahead from the PT. Although I was given the go ahead to hike - I haven't done so yet,because I was still getting symptoms from the treadmill workout. I am feeling better today, and it finally stopped raining, so I think I'm going to give it a shot this morning - I'm allowed to go half way up. I'll let you know how I do later.

I'm almost done with my house and it feels like we just moved into a new home! Seriously, I'm starting to wonder if this is all karma - chances are slim that I would have thrown myself into this major project if I hadn't been injured...

How are things with you?

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group