On the Bench

Hurting more after workout? (Read 258 times)

Hi guys, I was sent to a PT who gave me a bunch of exercises to do as well as told me to do the elliptical. The day after, I was more sore than the last few days. (Of course, I dont know if I have the elliptical or the exercises to blame!) Is this normal or common? Or am I pushing too hard or doing something wrong? Thanks!
      Yes to normal and yes to maybe pushing too hard! What is injured? When I was first given eccentric muscle exercises for my lower leg - I quit doing them because they really hurt the next day! Now I know that I was doing too many reps and that I should have backed down until I found a tolerable level, and then gradually increased the reps/sets. If you haven't used the elliptical much before, than you will be using different muscles and need time to adjust. How long did you work out? Were you using resistance on the elliptical? Cross ramp up or down? All that stuff will affect the degree of impact in your work out. Of course, if you did ALL the exercises And the elliptical... Wink hey - that's what I would have done the first time (lol!!)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

15 mins on the elliptical. I dont think I had the ramp on (I dont think the one I used had it!) but I did have some resisntance - otherwise I wouldnt have gotten a workout in. I know every machine is different - I have been on some where you have to turn it up to 10-12, and others were 2-3 are a good workout. We think it is sartorius tendonitis - thats the little tiny muscle that (I thought) doenst do much in your inner quads - helps with picking your leg up and turning the knee out. And we have to idea how or why I developed it. (I wasnt increasing anything, played by all the rules, had shoes that were ~1-1.5 months old with 70 miles - same model as the last couple pairs....) Thats part of whats so frustrating. One of my friends commented yesterday that I am still limping a bit when I walk. Of course, being on my feet for 30 hours yesterday didnt help!!!
          So I am starting to conclude that my doctor was wrong....off and on hurting more but definately not better. (OK, better than when I saw him. I had been improving rapidly, and did so for another week.) Now I feel like I am just sitting where I was before. Grrrr!!!! I am going nuts not being able to run!
            Does it effect you with biking and rowing too? Were you doing exercises that you thought helped in the 1st 2 weeks or do you think it was just the rest that made you better? I'm starting to get a little antsy about running too! It's so frustrating not knowing for sure what you are dealing with. Hope you get your problem identified soon so you can start on the road back. Anyways, vent away - you're talking to the right audience!!! Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

I dont know about biking (I have never rowed) - it was pretty cold here, and I am not a huge biker. It is great for transport (sometimes!), and some cross-training, but it isnt something I can see myself doing more than once a week max, and not even that. It may have something to do with not having a decent bike (it is a top of the line mtn bike - at least it was in 1986. Tongue) which makes it hard to keep up on group rides, and way more effort than it is worth most of the time. It got really bad in a couple weeks, then got better over a few weeks (just resting, and not running. Or limiting it to a mile or two when I got too impatient), and now seems to have plateaued despite not running at all for 10 or so days. The last couple days it has been worse, then a few days before that it was better. I was supposed to e-mail my PT after 2 wks and let him know I was better...it has been 10 days, so I will probably e-mail today and see if he has other recs for me. Or maybe I will just give up and go run. Evil grin
                Or maybe I will just give up and go run. Evil grin
                I'm sad to say that this was my most recent revelation too. The cortisone shot hasn't seemed to help much (and I got a minor site reaction).The doctor's next idea is to take 6 months off and see what happens, and I'm not prepared to do that if I can live with the pain. I've done 3 runs this week, being careful to XT a day in between them, and the pain isn't getting any worse, which I guess is a good sign. I'm sticking with Jake Knight's "non" suggestion in the H&N forum that maybe some motion will help things heal faster. At least that's my hope. Not that I'm recommending it either... or maybe I am Wink
                  At least that's my hope. Not that I'm recommending it either... or maybe I am Wink
                  This is probably not advice I should follow right now - although it is tempting Evil grin My PT is so convinced she is right about my as yet unconfirmed stress fracture that she found someone for me to aqua jog with Roll eyes Shaunna - sorry to hear about your foot not doing as well as you hoped

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Cheryl- I'm almost afraid to write that it hasn't been bothering me much the past few days, I don't want to jink it! With a stress fracture, you DEFINITELY have to take time off to let it heal, otherwise it will most likely become a complete fracture. I think the "give up and run" only works with certain things. I always try the staying off of it and listening to doctors and behaving, but after 3 months of that I'm ready to try somehting else. My orthopedist even told me I should try running a few times a week, so I don't think I'm making it any worse. But if you're sure it's a stress fracture, stick with the rest/ aqua jogging, as much as it sucks. I couldn't even aqua jog when I was waiting for my "stress fracture" to heal because I was in a boot, and those 3 months off sure made a difference to my running, my easy pace is over 30 seconds a mile slower and it doesn't feel nearly as "Easy"! So it's good that you can do that and have a buddy too.
                      So - can I try and grab the Pace Bunny as he passes me tomorrow - drag him into the pool Evil grin

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Tomorrow is 2 weeks. Think happy running thoughts for me in the evening! I am planning a whole 1-2 miles. And I cant wait!
                          Sounds like heaven! Happy thoughts on their way! Good luck and let us know how it goes Smile

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group