On the Bench

Abby (Read 385 times)

We miss you - hope your surgery went well, and that you heal quickly!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

I'm home. I didnt wimp out. As of now I think it was a good decision. Of course, I may feel differently tomorrow. The worst part is having my mom here and in the hospital. Yes, mom, I know you know the answer to my questions. But I want to hear it for myself. So let me ask without interupting and rolling your eyes and looking at me like I'm an idiot! Besides, when I paged my doctor (yes, flagrant abuse of being a med student and having access to pager numbers!) and asked about advil\aleve, I got a different answer then you expected, which was to limit it due to bone healing being impaired by it, so clearly it wasnt such a dumb question! Besides, the other reason I asked was so he would know I was hurting so if I hurt a lot more tomorrow it wont be out of nowhere and he will be more likely to treat it more aggressively. And I dont want to hear anymore that this was premature and I should have waited. First off, its too late. Secondly, I still disagree. (Cross-reference first paragraph.) Finally, mom, my doctor said I can do anything I want, so stop telling me to use my crutches and sit on the couch and I'm not allowed to do this and I'm not allowed to do that. Please!!! If I sit on the couch I am going to get stiff. Do I really have to entertain you and follow your rules until Sunday? Besides, by then my friends will decide I am recovered enough and no longer stop by and visit and feed me, which they kept calling and offering to do today. And I dont want you to organize my book-case and make it "pretty." Yes, I told you it was OK with me the 7th time you asked, but I dont want you to tell me where to put my folders and photos other random stuff I have on it. And I dont see why I can't go to my friends' graduation tomorrow - I even joked about missing it with my surgeon before hand and she told me she thought I might be up to it so why not. But evidently my mom knows better than my surgeon, despite the fact that she has done this way more times and treated far more patients with this injury than my mom has! (note - I am my mom's "first" pt with this type of injury.) Rant, rant. I know she is here to help me, I just wish she would help me the way I want to be helped! OK, there were other unfun parts. Including the puking and the world spinning all night Weds. (At the 4-hour post-op check my doctor told me "be sure to ask for the anti-nausea stuff I ordered." Uhm, they gave me zofran before I even left the OR, and they kept giving me IV phegran and zofran!) I was also frustrated that they had me on a PCA pump, but no basal rate (was I supposed to wake up every 30 mins to push it overnight? I always put my patients on a base-rate and then give them a certain limit to how often they can push it and get feel-better meds. Always, of course, being the few times last month when I was asked what I wanted to do for their pain.) Maybe if I could hold down the lortab I wouldnt have needed the constant morphine, but I was much happier after my nurse paged the resident who ordered it and I was able to sleep soundly for a couple hours. And post-op x-rays on my way to my room were pretty painful - they kept sliding a cartridge under my hip and moving me around and manipulating me when all I wanted to do was lie there and not have to move! At least they didnt have to move me to a different x-ray bed. But I like the bed in my doctor's office which is all a cartridge or reading scanner or whatever so they dont have to move film around. And the IV nonsense. For starters, before you stick a needle in me, have everything ready so you dont have to run across the room and decide you need a tube of blood, while I am sitting there with a painful needle sticking out of me! Secondly, I have the best veins, so I dont understand why they picked the most painful elbow vein. I asked my surgeon if after they induced if they could move it so it didnt hurt every time I tried to move my arm the slightest bit. Evidently they stuck me 6 times in the OR and ended up in the vein I told the pre-op nurse to start in. Oh well. I have learned not to tell patients that after you have an IV it wont hurt, because mine was sore! Not as bad after they switched to the hand in the OR, but still sore. And the anesthesiologist who kept on trying to give me versed and telling me I am a nervous mess. I think I finally let him before I rolled back, and then I felt really woozy and the room spun. Just because I was asking what meds he planned on using and whether he was going to intubate or use a LMA didnt mean I was nervous - it meant I had preferences. (He used the meds I preferred, but they did intubate. Evidently they had me on my side and he thought he might loose the airway otherwise. Fair enough. I wont argue with that!) I know he meant well but I would much prefer if he offerred something to help me relax rather than tell me I was getting it and have me refuse and then him tell me I was wrong and I shouldnt feel bad about being nervous and I should just shut-up and stop refusing because I would feel better. (OK, he was nicer than I am making out and meant well, I just found it frustrating.) I'm not looking forward to tomorrow - something tells me I will be really stiff and sore when I wake up. I think I might set an alarm for a couple hours before I want to get up to take lortab so it will kick in.
        (((((hugs))))) only 3 days until she leaves Wink Glad you are well enough to rant Big grin Thanks for letting us know you're Ok Cheryl

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Wow. I was squirming in my seat as I read your report. My closest experience to surgery is giving blood, and I HATE having the needle in me. It hurts from the time it goes in, to after it comes out. I don't envy you. I'm glad that the operation went well, that you may be able to move around in a couple of days. How long before you can resume normal every day activities like walking around crutches free?
            Sorry - I should have given you guys a warning. I forget that not everyone grew up talking about medicine at dinner. Wink And, yes, the fact that I am complaining about and fighting with my mom is a good sign. I sent her out to test my car battery this afternoon which I think is almost dead. Might as well put her to good use. She is also going grocery shopping, so I will now end up with lots of food in my house that I dont eat but she does or she thinks I should. This morning was not as bad as I expected - in fact, the pain hasnt been all that bad in general and definately better than I expected. The first night was pretty bad until I got the basal-rate dripping every few mins, but after that I was pretty comfortable. The nausea, however, is back this morning. I only thought I would be sick after surgery, not a couple days after surgery. Sigh. I am ready to be non-light-headed. I was allowed to do anything I wanted once I left the OR, but as Dr. Red-Head told me ahead of time, I didnt want to. I am off crutches around my appartment though definately limping a lot and not putting much weight on the leg. Now that it is stable, she isnt worried about it displacing and the head of the femur losing blood supply and ending up with a hip replacement. I havent left home since I got here yesterday, but would definately take the crutches - I dont want to end up hurting a lot somewhere and feel "stuck." Dr. Red-Head thought it would be 1.5-2 weeks before I was recovered enough to be back running around the hospital. I asked about running and she said 2 weeks was super optimistic, 4 looking more likely, and 6 wouldnt be unheard of or unreasonable. She also said I may want to do a bit of stationary bike (or my real bike!) before running. My general surgery rotation starts 2 weeks from Monday (after one more week of my "ortho rotation" which I am using to recover and will be making up in July and then a week of class-room stuff). Gen surgery is pretty intense, so I wouldnt be surprised if I dont really push it until the beginning of July. I am going to try to get to a couple hours of lecture Monday. I think the tricky part will be finding a ride since I can't drive on pain meds and my class-mates will probably already be there from hospital work earlier in the day. Surely someone will be around, I just have to figure out who! OK, I think its nap time! Yawn!!!
              Wonder if the pain meds are making you nauseated? In any case, no fun, hope you are over it soon. So did Dr.Red-head have any comments about what she found once she got in there? How long is your incision line? Time line to return to normal activity sounds really good! Have a nice nap!

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Wonder if the pain meds are making you nauseated? In any case, no fun, hope you are over it soon. So did Dr.Red-head have any comments about what she found once she got in there? How long is your incision line? Time line to return to normal activity sounds really good! Have a nice nap!
                Still not sleeping. Oh well. I think the lortab is definately making me sick. But I dont want to not take it because I am hurting. And I'm not supposed to take NSAIDs (advil\aleve) because it interferes with bone healing. And if I take tylenol, then I am limited by how much lortab I can take later without killing my liver. Dr. Red-Head said everything looking pretty normal - she did a bone biopsy of the fracture and said the quick path report on the frozen section was totally normal. We won't have the final results for a while, but we dont expect anything abnormal. I figure if nothing else, getting back to daily life will be good. Of course, getting to bike and run will be awesome, but I am just ready to be able to walk around the hospital and not have everyone stare at me!!!
                Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Why would anyone stare at you? It's not uncommon to have somone on crutches in the hospital.
                    Yes, but they usually aren't wearing scrubs and white coats. Big grin I have to admit, I expected to hurt like hell and not want to move off the couch all day. I even asked Dr. Red-Head before who kind of went, well, you'll be pretty sore. She said the whole thigh would hurt. But only the 2 incisions and groin area which hurt before is bothering me. Yeah, I am stiff and a bit achy elsewhere, but I think its all about expectations.
                      OK, my mom is finally gone. I dont mean to be ungrateful, but parents, when you have adult kids living on their own, please respect their wishes! If they ask you repeatedly to leave them alone and not visit, they probably want you to leave them alone and not visit! I know its profound and difficult to understand. And I'm sorry, there was no compromise on my mom's part: the whole I'll come down after to take care of you but notbefore the surgery just wasn't a compromise - thats doing what she wanted to do. Maybe taking what I wanted into consideration a tiny bit, but not really. And when I told her multiple times that I didnt need my book-shelf straightened, I really meant it. So don't get mad at me when you ask for the fifth time and I tell you "I guess you can neaten it" and then when you ask where I want stuff thats on it I tell you right where it is. So the bottom line, parents, if you are trying to help your kids, do it in a way that is helpful. Now that she's gone, I can clean up the mess she left. (I know she cleaned, but she didnt clean the way I like things done! And I need to put things back where I can find them.) And I dont have to hear about how my decision was premature and she hopes I dont have long-term complications until I answer the phone again. Which I might not do for many days.
                        Tuesday's update: My e-mail is down as of last night. How sad and frustrating. My kitchen is being invaded by ants. OK, my kitchen has been invaded by ants for several days, but it is getting worse. Last week I just found a bunch of them crawling around my kitchen. I put out traps but they dont seem to be working that well. Sunday I found them all around a jar of honey. Threw that out and cleaned up. Then yesterday they were back - I left a bowl out (instead of putting it in the dishwasher) and they found that. Today they found my left-over coffee cake that my mom bought and I dont realy eat. I wonder what they will find this afternoon. I hate to up the anti and spray, but this is getting kind of old. Incisions pain is getting better. I am still waking up in the middle of the night still and pretty sore in the morning, but definately getting better. I am kind of amazed that the rest of my thigh is hurting me more. Yeah, Dr. Red-Head told me it would be sore (and I was really happy that it didnt!), but as the incisions get better, I notice the rest of the thigh hurting. Like I was sleeping on my stomach last night (which there is no way I could have done a few days ago! Yeah!) and it was sore. And then taking the coffee cake out to the trash, putting weight on the leg, especially going down steps, made the whole upper-leg hurt. I got an e-mail from the surgeon I curb-sided last week who told me if it were his son, he would tell him to get nailed. I thought that was really sweet of him. Of course, I cant respond because my e-mail doesnt work. Little details. I missed class yesterday. I was going to go and had a ride, but I was feeling queesy and just didnt feel like going. I have missed so much lecture I really need to start going. I just dont feel like it. And if I am not going to get much out of it, theres not much point to going. I feel like I have been on an emotional roller-coaster. I got un-mad at my mom (or rather, decided its time to move on). Then I got my grade back from Ob-Gyn and was really pissed that I got burned on that. I know I didnt do well on the exam (I didnt do that terribly either!), but I was still hoping for a high-pass. I also got really mean comments. I know everyone does from the residents and it is a really gossipy-type rotation, I am just pissed that I feel like I worked my butt off (we all worked super hard on the rotation!) and I put my body through way more than I should have - yeah, most of it without knowing that I shouldnt be walking on it, but it still was really painful at times, and I feel like no one seems to have recognized that and given me any credit for it. I feel like I could have taken time off or been much more lazy and still gotten the same grade and comments. So I am pissed about that. And I am worried about the consequence of my second pass (yeah, I got burned on another rotation. I feel like most people get burned on one, but two isnt fair!) Why cant life be easier when I need it to be? Thanks guys for listening. Or reading. You probably didnt make it through most of that, but thanks for skimming it anyway! Hope you all are having good days!