On the Bench

I just knew it.... (Read 318 times)

Shaunna, so sorry to hear that you are having problems again. Were you and your PT able to figure out what triggers your ITB? My weak area is glute medius - if I neglect those exercises, I usually end up with "troubles", but I know it's different for everyone and sometimes really difficult to figure out.

Ruth - YaY for a good day!

I ran outside today for the first time in months...there was fresh snow...it was a lot harder than I remembered...I had to switch to 90 sec on and off on the uphill,but was able to run close to a mile on the downhill - it was a good day for me too Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

So I put on my relatively new running shoes with my relatively new orthotics and walked to the gym (in my condo).  Didn't feel a thing!  My foot actually feels really good in the shoe and the air-cast is starting to put pressure on the top of the foot.  That, and Shaunna's post got me thinking that maybe both the doctors are right? 

The foot is sort of swollen and tender but putting pressure on the bone does not hurt the way it did before.  I'm at a full 6 weeks now.

Shaunna - what did they do for the neuroma?  I am going for a bone scan tomorrow so I will get a definitive diagnosis from that I think.  But I don't see the doctor for 2.5 weeks and I don't know whether I should keep the cast on or start walking a bit again in the running shoes. I guess I'll take it one day at a time.

I have a weak gluteus medius too.  Particularly on the left side.  I was given a bunch of exercises but I am very bad at remembering to stretch.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend.  We are dealing with some frigidly cold temperatures here.  Take care all!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Shaunna, so sorry to hear that you are having problems again. Were you and your PT able to figure out what triggers your ITB? My weak area is glute medius - if I neglect those exercises, I usually end up with "troubles", but I know it's different for everyone and sometimes really difficult to figure out.

PT actually thinks it is due to my sitting at a desk all day. It took awhile to get to this conclusion, but after working on strengthening every muscle group in my legs with no relief he figured out that my pelvic bones don't line up evenly when I am sitting (left cheek is higher), so I was leaning weirdly on the right hip. I adjusted my desk to be more ergonomic and sit with a towel folded under my left hip bone. I'm finally starting to see some relief, but I've been avoiding running to let the inflammation in the ITB ease up, so I can't say for sure if it's the answer. But yeah, he definitely thinks it is related to the tightness I get in my hip/butt area on the right side. So I'm trying to keep that loose with yoga stretches too.

Ruth- I had two shots of cortisone into the neuroma area, and both gave me temporary relief, but didn't clear up the pain totally. I also tried custom orthotics (no help), and a metatarsal pad under the ball of that foot (helps to spread the bones out so they don't compress the neuroma- helped a bit). I don't use either the orthotics or foot pad anymore, and though I don't ever notice pain while running, sometimes I still occasionally feel mild pain in that area when I wear a small heel that puts more pressure on the ball of my foot, especially if the toe box isn't big enough. Are you on crutches too, or just the boot? Glad things felt good in sneakers- that is a good sign!