On the Bench

I just knew it.... (Read 318 times)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Hey Cheryl,

Not sure if good news or bad with you from your note.  I guess things are improving - so stay positive.  Who knows if you miss the summer running, there is always the winter up there in the north country, a.k.a. there is always options.  Good luck with the hiking, could lead to trail running career.

As for me, been doing a lot of training but heat and humidity here taking toll.  Not feeling too energetic for training runs.  I did a river to sea relay back on 7/31 which was fun but afterwards, felt sort of goal-less.    Next race is a 10k in October, but looking at few local races in between.  Need another long race to get motivated with training - but haven't found one that is not closed or want to do.  So just hanging in there.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

The relay sounds like it was a lot of fun! 10K sounds like a distance race to me!

I do want to do some trail running - but that's tricky - I rolled my right ankle 3 times yesterday - the first 2 minor, but the last one - I thought I might have sprained it - but it's good this morning.

I really do think I'll be good to go in another week or two - at this point, I'm not going to rush back into running and risk re-injuring whatever was injured in the first place!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Well, now I know. Tuesday - I had the worst pain in my life - it was in my low back and all I had to do was stand up. I had an MRI of my low back on Wednesday - I have a herniated disk L4-5, as well as a moderate disk bulge L5-S1. .  which is causing some narrowing. I think the hip/leg pain I've been having was from the L5-S1 bulge, but the pain and such I'm having now is from the herniated disk. This is the first time I've ever had real back pain. I'll be back at the PT on Monday, and I guess I'll find out then what lies ahead. Guess I'll be hanging around here a little longer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Chenille,

So sorry to hear about your back.   But you are probably right about the hip pain being related to the L5-S1 bulge.  Hopefully PT or docs can help ease situation and your stay here won't be too long.   They can do a lot these days with herniated disks and such. Take care and keep us all posted. 

Joe Suder

I was patient - enjoyed doing much hiking this last summer. Kept up with the PT exercises, although I have slacked off a little recently. I'm restarting running at 2:1 intervals - tried 3:1 interval, but it was too much too soon. Sessions are 60 -70 minutes long. I am happy with that. No real goals, just going to take it slow and see where I am at come Spring. It feels good to be making progress Smile

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Hi Cheryl.  Happy New Year. 

Glad to hear things are doing better.  Keep up the good work.  Take care.

Joe Suder

I detect activity!  And yay, there is life after injury.  Smile

I'm thinking of posting on the regular boards about needed someone else on the bench to join me.  Sounds like you regulars are back in business.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Hi Joe - Happy NY to you as well! How goes it with you?

Hi Ruru -we come out of hiding when someone posts! How are you doing?

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Hi Cheryl

Oh, that's cool.  Thanks for checking in.  I had actually PM'd Joe because I found an old post saying that he had a metatarsal stress fracture too and he recommended this group.

My sad story is still in progress with a stress fracture of the 4th metatarsal which actually occurred November 30.  I saw a doc and he said it was an inflamed neuroma, ok'd me to run which of course made things worse.  I have been in an aircast (big boot) for 5 weeks now.  I tried stepping on it last week but it still reacted so I have been good for another week. Seems a bit better but I feel I have a way to go before I want to put much pressure on the foot. 

As to cause, I am not quite sure since I wasn't over-training.  My shoes were a bit old (about 400 miles) but I cannot remember having any warning signs and I was running exactly the same as I had been for about 2 years.  In fact, actually had cut back last year.  

The part of this that is so hard is the mental bit.  I am cranky, grumpy, my hot flashes have returned and although I am biking about 4.5 hours per week, it's not cutting it!  I see a runner on a snowy night and it almost is painful to watch.  Crazy, eh?  

Enough of my crying. What a way to introduce oneself, huh?  So everything okay with you? 

Ruth

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I hear you about the biking not quite cutting it as a replacement for running - having the hot flashes come back...ugh! Sadly, running never helped my hot flashes, they are just the same if I exercise or not, and umm, even while I am exercising. I feel like I should tattoo "Real women sweat" somewhere on my body...Evil

As to the healing, I think it just takes us longer to heal at our age. The shortest time frame for me returning from a stress # was 10 weeks, but it was usually a solid 12 before I could even start aggressive walking pre return to run...and yet, I always made it back. So hang in there, even if it seems like it is taking a really long time. I know with your determination, that you will be back out there again.m t

I'm taking things slow and day by day - really watching my energy levels - I have no desire to end up with some other injury because I pushed too fast. Like you said, it's winter, and not the worst time to be laid up a bit.

Hey, I may be heading out to Toronto in June - it's pretty iffy right now, but if I do, I would love to be able to meet up with you.

Cheryl

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I hear you about the biking not quite cutting it as a replacement for running - 

Like you said, it's winter, and not the worst time to be laid up a bit.

Ruth:  I agree.  My stress fracture was in June. 2009.  So I did not start back until mid to end of September 2009.  Summer is the best time to run and all I could do was bike, elipticals, and occaisionally swim.  But the down time lets you work other muscles to stay in shape which can help you cross train better when you are running again.  It helped me to focus on other muscle groups in the legs as well as develop a core muscle routine - not to mention UB work-outs.   But it does suck, and I hated watching other runners too - ENVY.Wink  But it is not forever, so take what you can from it.

Hi Cheryl, doing fine.  Thinking about a spring marathon.  Only issue, work and life seem to be interfering with all the event dates.  Also though I have run for over 30 yrs, this will be my first marathon - hopefully - once I decide.

Joe Suder

My sad story is still in progress with a stress fracture of the 4th metatarsal which actually occurred November 30.  I saw a doc and he said it was an inflamed neuroma, ok'd me to run which of course made things worse.

Ruth, I had the exact opposite thing happen! Pain in the 5th metatarsal was diagnosed as a stress fracture and I spent 8 weeks in the boot with no relief. Finally had an MRI which showed neuroma inflamation and no stress fracture!  What a waste of time....I hope you get out of the boot soon!

I totally understand the runner envy as well. I am avoiding running because I cannot seem to get my ITB pain under control. I do enjoy taking other classes and stuff at the gym, but it feels like a chore to workout some days, where running never felt like something I had to do but didn't want to (at least before my ITBS made every run a miserable slog-fest).

shadow- glad the running is going well!

Sounds like everyone is in different stages.  

I know what you say about healing.  I am just assuming it will take longer now than when I was younger but it can be frustrating.  My biggest problem was that I was seeing no signs of healing at all.  I could barely step on my foot as it felt like the ball of the foot was bruised and battered.  Almost like I had smashed all the ends of the bones.  Weird.  

But in the last 2 days (tomorrow will be exactly 6 weeks post "the precipitating event") the foot has started to feel better.  At least I feel that I could put a little pressure on it.  But I think I will wait the full 6 weeks in the boot before I attempt to walk.  

My mood is so much better now that I see some progress.  Yay!!!    

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Hi Shaunna.  That is weird.  I was hoping mine wasn't a SF and tried to talk myself into a neuroma. 

Ruth,  glad to hear things are starting to improve.  As for the feeling in the foot.  the top of my foot looked swollen w/large knot above fracture for almost a year afterward.  And some runs, I must land hard on area since bottom feels like you describe as if something there.  Reason when you do start and go back to running you need to train properly. 

And get a pair of shoes that fit properly or do the barefoot thing.  Not advocating barefoot running, since I don't do it - but I do go barefoot daily whenever I can.  I know some runners claim if toe box too tight or too loose can result in metatarsal SF.  I believe mine were too tight in the toe box, so when I landed toes couldn't land properly or were squeezed together.  Probaly reason mine was 3rd metatarsal, i.e., dead center. 

Have a great weekend. 

Joe Suder

Joe - that helps immensely!  the foot has in the boot so long it feels very strange.  I get pulls and tugs and weird stuff but it still feels slightly swollen on the bottom.  I am going to keep it on most of the time for the next couple of weeks probably.  It will be a full 6 weeks of daily wear in the boot on Wednesday.  I did walk in my running shoes to the gym to cycle tonight.

It is feeling so good in the boot that I felt the best I have felt in weeks.  Today was a good day!