On the Bench

Hi All! (Read 335 times)

My dogs are fast, not me

I have a possible stress fracture in my foot, so for now, until further diagnosis, no more running for me. Cry Please keep me company in my misery as I'm feeling quite sorry for myself today.

Robin

Aww bummer Robin. Where in your foot? Have you seen a doctor yet or is it a self-diagnosis for now? I'm keeping you company, I think I can start physical therapy for my knee surgery next week but still no running yet. It's been almost four months and I miss it a lot! When they thought I had a stress fracture in my 5th metatarsel in fall '06, the treatment wasn't too awful- crutches for a few weeks and a walking cast, but I could take it off to sleep and shower. Better than a real cast! Let us know how you're doing. If anyone understands not being able to run, it's this group. Good luck!

My dogs are fast, not me

Navicular - the bone just in front of my ankle. I saw my sports doc today and that's what he thinks based on my symptoms and description although my x-ray was negative. He's sending me for a bone scan on Monday to confirm since treatment is cast/crutches for 6 weeks and he doesn't want to subject me to that unless he's sure. Best case scenario is of course he's wrong... But, I did some internet research and what I found describes me exactly, so I'm not feeling very optimistic right now. Cry

Robin

uh oh... hold out hope until Monday. I'm surprised it's a cast for that area, but I guess it must be a tough heal. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he's wrong.
          Mishka-old log

Hey Robin, Hopefully you're getting come good news, but until you hear anything, try to keep as little weight on it as possible. I've had 2 navicular stress fractures and because of th poor blood supply to that area, they healed slowly. Keep us updated on your progress.

Finished!

Sad how'd the visit to the bone scanner go?
              Walk + Jog = wog.
              I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
              I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

My dogs are fast, not me

I thought it went good - the tech said she (between her and I) didn't see anything but when I got home, there was a message from them. The radiologist had reviewed my films and wants me to come back first thing in the morning for "delayed imaging". Something about too much soft tissue and not a good clear picture of bone? Anyway, I had left all hopeful and now I'm worried again....

Robin

My dogs are fast, not me

So, I went back in for my delayed imaging this morning. They took two more scans of my feet. It was a different tech than yesterday and he wouldn't give up any info. My ortho will get the report from radiology today for yesterday, and tomorow for today. My appt. with him is Thursday morning, so until then, its just wait and see. DH is being pretty supportive though and if I do end up in a cast on Thursday, we've got my commuting plan figured out and he's rigged up some stuff around the house to help me shower, deal with the dogs, etc. Still keeping fingers crossed.....

Robin

My dogs are fast, not me

It's NOT a stress fracture!!! For now, treatment is exercises to strengthen my foot and arch support. I can start run/walking again and gradually build up my distance. Woohoo!!

Robin

YAY! AWESOME NEWS!!

Finished!

glad to hear theres no stress fracture Smile I've found the techs at the place I wind up going never give up any info either. *sigh* it makes me overanalize what I see on the screen even tho I'm completely not qualified to draw any conclusions :P
                        Walk + Jog = wog.
                        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry