Chicago Marathon

Who's running 2008? (Read 360 times)

I just joined, but notice that all but one of posts were before last year's marathon. I'm curious as to who is running this year--October 12, 2008? I registered early this month. This will be my 9th marathon in 29 years of running, but my first major. All others have been close to home, medium/small: Fiesta Bowl 1979 & 1980, San Francisco 1987 & 1993, Phoenix 1988, Valley of Flowers 1989, Napa Valley 1990, Cal International 2007 Goal for this year, providing there is not a repeat of last year's weather, will be something in 2:59:59-3:03 range.
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Was it all a dream?

I think I'm going to do a different fall marathon this year. Maybe Twin Cities... After the debacle last year, I think it's going to take a couple years before I'm ready for Chicago again. With your goal time, make sure you send in a qualifying time so that you're placed in corral A. 45,000 runners means a lot of traffic to weave through if you don't start near the front...
        Thanks for reminder, I already got my corral A assignment. I'm assuming that last year's "debacle" was more a by product of the unseasonably warm temps than anything, although they obviously weren't prepared for it. From all I've heard they normally do a very good job. In any case it might be interesting to try a new one if you've already run Chicago. Some nice times you have there and strong mileage push these past couple months.
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          I think I'm in the same camp as Ben, and I'm probably going to try a different Fall marathon this year. I was close enough to the front in last year's race (corral B) that I didn't experience any of the logistics-related issues on the course, but still I think it would be better karma for me to skip a year. That being said, I'm still a Chicagoan, and I'm certainly hoping that this year's race is a great one. If anyone has any race or Chicago questions, I'll do my best to help out. Smile

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Was it all a dream?

Yes, by debacle, I just mean the weather. I'm just still a little disappointed that PR hopes were ruined by unseasonable temperatures... Could have happened anywhere though. I definitely think Chicago is a great race. I've run it 3 times, and each time I've enjoyed the great crowd support and fast course.

this is why I run....

I ran CHI in 2006. I see the route is "new" can anyone tell me the changes? I don't remember the 2006 route and am not from there.
              Frank4

I ran CHI in 2006. I see the route is "new" can anyone tell me the changes? I don't remember the 2006 route and am not from there.
                Taking a quick look at the course, it doesn't look like it has changed much, if at all, from previous races. Not sure what the "new" part is. I am registered for this year's race. I have only run two marathons, my first being Chicago in 2005. I am originally from that area and still get down there quite often...Chicago is just a great city. In both of my previous marathons I was not totally prepared and, as a result, faded badly in the end. I fuly intend to correct that issue this go 'round and turn in a respectable (and BQ) time. Good luck to all.
                  "New" simply means its new to the forum homepage, i.e., as an update to the 2007 map. It doesn't mean the course has changed, which, as far as I know, it hasn't.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.