Chicago Marathon

Training programs (Read 305 times)

I am starting the Hal Higdon Intermediate II program tomorrow. What is everyone else using? Jackie

Jackie

Started the Daniels A-plan yesterday with a 20 miler in temps that got up to 83F and DewPoint up to 73F. Good training for Chicago 07!

Forever Learning

Jackie, Higdon Int II as well. I tried to do Pfitz 24/55 last fall for Houston and got injured. With this being my first marathon (ran the HM in Houston) I figured better to go with a slightly less demanding program (i.e., better to be minorly under trained versus overtrained and not running) Wink I might add a few miles here and there, will probably add some strides to the Tuesday runs, and will also pop in a few tempo runs mid-week if I am feeling good. The 10 mile pace runs followed by a 20 miler the next day look like fun Roll eyes
        RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I've just started the Pfitz 18/70 plan. I picked that over the Higdon Advance plan based on advice from a seasoned marathoner who'd trained with both plans.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Forever Learning

Based on your times I would say 18/70 is a good choice...
              I'll be using Tinman's "2 big workouts per week" approach. Top mileage will probably be in low-mid 70's and I won't be starting the schedule until after 21st of this month. This will give me only 14 weeks before the race. However I've been using a watered down version of his program for the first half of this year and running lots of shorter races off it. YTD mileage has averaged out to 56 mpw, so the relatively short period of pure marathon training shouldn't be too much of a liability (I hope).
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33