Chicago Marathon

Thoughts on how I should train for the next 3 weeks? (Read 355 times)

derek

I'm interested in any thoughts on how I should train over the next 3 weeks. For the last couple months, I've had problems with my training. I was either overtrained or I'm just not good at running in the warmer summer months. The net result is that I've only been running 20-30 mpw. For the last 8 weeks, I've run (most recent week first): - 30 - 20 - 19 - 20 - 20 - 31 - 30 - 30 I did two 18-milers in June (back-back Sundays no less) and a 19-miler 3 weeks ago. It turns out that only last week I seem to have gotten back into a groove and I actually feel good about my running now, but I fear that it may be too little too late, but it does help with my confidence a bit. I'm trying to figure out now how much running I should do this week and next. I was thinking that I could try and hit 40 miles this week. I was running 40 mpw week regularly earlier this year up until mid-June. I figure if I could run 40 miles this week, 20-25 next week and then just 10-15 the beginning of the last week, resting the 4-5 days before Chicago. Or am I just being silly and anything I do now wouldn't make a difference for the marathon except maybe to give me just a little more confidence?

Derek

As long as you feel up to it, I don't see problem trying to put in a 40 mile week, and then taper for two weeks. Its not too late for workouts to have a positive physiological effect on your race performance. (If I recall correctly, Pfitzinger suggests that the benefits kick in about 5-7 days after a hard workout.) The classic "three week taper" for marathons is hardly set in stone, nor do all experts agree with it. Do be prepared to ratchet things back if you feel tired or any sign of nascent injury. A 40 mile week ending with a hamstring injury is far worse than a 32 mile week that you finish strong and healthy. Also, don't dismiss the importance of mental confidence in running a marathon. During both my past marathons I have found myself thinking back to my training and drawing mental strength from it to push through tough times. A little confidence can be a great thing out on the course.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

derek

Thanks Berner. I'll take it one day at a time to ensure I don't get injured, but I think I will try and finish the week with 40 miles.

Derek