Chicago Marathon

Long Run Week (Read 462 times)

All business

Who's got a 20 miler this week? Are we all going to be ready?

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Mishka-old log

18 this week...20 next. I'm only tapering 2 weeks since my training was set back so far with injuries. I will not be in optimal PR shape. I'll give it everything I have, but I'm definitely looking ahead at this point, rather than making Chicago any kind of focal point.

All business

I may doing the same thing, as i got started late due to injury. See how i feel and maybe do 18 this weekend. Two weeks should be plenty of rest.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

22 last weekend, and probably a 24 this weekend. Surprised I figure if I can survive that, I'll be ready for anything. Besides, it'll be fun to compete with the "Ready to Run" folks for the Lakeshore path. (For those outside Chicago, the major running club in Chicago is putting on a 20 mile training run this Sunday with a point-to-point course along the lakeshore. Gatoraide, water tables, pace groups, etc. Only costs $45 bucks !!!!!!)

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Was it all a dream?

I'm probably doing 21 or 22 this weekend. Berner, good luck with the path competition with CARA. I think my sister is participating in that run. So, I guess she will be part of the problem. I'm definitely excited for the start of the taper. My legs are starting to feel the wear and tear.
            derek

(For those outside Chicago, the major running club in Chicago is putting on a 20 mile training run this Sunday with a point-to-point course along the lakeshore. Gatoraide, water tables, pace groups, etc. Only costs $45 bucks !!!!!!)
              I wish I had something like that available to me. If I were living in Chicago, I would have probably paid the $45. I'm hoping to do a 20-miler tomorrow.

Derek

I did my 3rd 20-miler this past Saturday...I finished strong and the fastest time I've done so far (3:55). Smile
                  I hope everyone's long run went as well as mine. My 24 miler on Sunday was one of the best training runs I've had this cycle. Not fast, but strong and steady the entire distance. And, despite setting a weekly mileage PR (80), the ol' legs are feeling pretty good. Also, to my surprise, I really enjoyed sharing the lakeshore path with the CARA training event. Yeah, it got a bit crowded at points, but it was actually quite fun to share a nice Sunday morning run with 500-600 other runners also getting ready for the Chicago Marathon.

Mishka-old log

Berner, That's awesome. I'm glad you have a ton of confidence going into Chicago. You are ready to rock. My weekend was really good as well. I'd done 2 runs up to 1:40 before my 18 miler on Saturday, but in both, I was really hurting over the last 15 min. Saturday, I ran 2:05 and didn't start to pick up the pace until 1:40. The last 25 min were a delight. Then I went home and watched the Irish get their butts handed to them. Ouch.
                      Thanks Mishka, and congrats on your long run too. Its a good sign when you go longer and feel better doing it. Funny thing I'm realizing ... there is a direct correlation between my running confidence and my posting frequency. When I have bad runs, I lurk. When I have good runs, I'm a posting machine. Gotta go ... more posting to do. Wink

Katie H

Chicago winter running

Funny thing I'm realizing ... there is a direct correlation between my running confidence and my posting frequency. When I have bad runs, I lurk. When I have good runs, I'm a posting machine. ha ha- I'm definitely lurking right now and you're totally right about that Berner Smile Glad everyone's doing well and that there's activity on here- great job with the takeover! Is anyone else doing the 50/50 on Oct 27th? (since Mishka mentioned not making Chicago the focal point).
                        We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.

IMKY13 finish!!

Chicago will be my first marathon. I ran my last long long run yesterday...a 21 miler (actually it was 21.13). I did it in 3:48 and that included some serious hills. I felt really good and strong thru out the training run. Since Chicago is relatively flat (especially compared to the traing runs I've done), I should be able to beat my goal of 4:15

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

joefreudenthal

Good luck Daytona and other first timers..you guys sound ready! I have been training with my BIL for his first marathon. We will be going in the 3:55 pace group. His knee bothered him for about a month earlier in the Summer which stalled our training out, but we did 19 last Sunday, and 20 this Sunday heading into a 2 week taper. His knee is feeling great! We are excited! By the way, imatarb, you rock! Three 20 milers in your buildup. Go girl. Joe Freudenthal enerfitrunning.blogspot.com
                            derek

I finally did my 20-miler today. I was hoping to do it last Sunday, but I bailed after 8 miles. I felt pretty good through the first 15 miles, but I started to feel the onset of cramps in my left calf and had to do quite a bit of walking so my calf wouldn't actually cramp up. I need to find a way to deal with the cramping otherwise my marathon is going to be tough for the last half. I drank a total of 120 ozs of fluid of which 64 ozs was Gatorade Endurance plus I ate 2 Gu gels. I would have thought that would have provided sufficient hydration and electolytes to prevent cramping.

Derek