Chicago Marathon

Anybody else in Corral B? (Read 510 times)

Why is it sideways?

So, I'm pacing the 3:10 group at Chicago from Corral B. And fired up about it. Any of you good folk looking to run with me?
    BostonRnr

Wish I could run that fast. I'm in corral D and running with the 3:55 pace group.

Thanks for getting this board started. I was starting to wonder whether I was the only one running Chicago

I actually qualified for A, but my training got completely derailed by an injury earlier this summer.  I should have enough miles under my belt to finish it, but not to race it.  Sad  So, I think this year I'm gonna start back in the Open corral, make it a long training run, and take in the sights and sounds.  You fast folks better not finish all the bagels by the time I get done!

I ran about 15 miles of the course last week to get myself psyched up.  Happy to report that signs of the marathon are appearing all around town.  The start/finish area is well into construction, and most of the tents are up already.  Signs and banners are all over downtown.  Most of the mile marks, aid station locations, and elite water table locations have been spray painted on the pavement already.  And most importantly ... we finally got some Fall-like weather in Chicago this week!

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Was it all a dream?

And most importantly ... we finally got some Fall-like weather in Chicago this week!

Let's hope it lasts through next weekend!  I opted for Chicago over Twin Cities this year, and the weather looks absolutely ideal for TCM this weekend.... so it would be extra painful if the temps suddenly shoot up in Chicago next week.

Pacer Jeff... I met a guy at a local running store yesterday that will be running with us in Chi-town. Small world, eh?

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Jeff -  I have a Corral A bib but will be starting in B with a buddy or two.  We'll be looking for you!   What's your normal strategy?  Bank a little time or even splits?

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I'm in Corral B but shooting for a 3:20 time.  Hopefully next year I can go for that 3:10 time!

Why is it sideways?

I'm going to run it as even as I can. I'm psyched to see you guys out there.

I think there are three pacers in Corral B. I'll be wearing a goofy pace team uniform (since when did Medium become freaking huge?) and holding a sign I reckon.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I'm going to run it as even as I can. I'm psyched to see you guys out there.

I think there are three pacers in Corral B. I'll be wearing a goofy pace team uniform (since when did Medium become freaking huge?) and holding a sign I reckon.

Even is good.  I hope to pull away after 20 - 22 miles (famous last words).  Nothing personal.

I have plenty of medium Nike race t-shirts that would fit someone twice my size.  I think they are sized off sumo wrestler weight classes.   Mind you, the t for this year's Shamrock Shuffle was fit true to size and is quite nice. This begs the question why they would make a t that is not true to size?

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I'm working on my puffy paint "I'm with pacer Jeff" singlet as we speak.

sAc238

Zeus

Jeff,

Not sure if you are pacing this year or not ...

Goal is 3:10 (BQ).  So I will be with you guys.  It will be my first marathon ... training is going ok.  Getting the base milege up now.  McMillian and Daniels say 3:10 (with proper training) should be in my wheel house.  1/2 marathon this weekend - looking for sub1:30  which also equates to around 3:10.  Not sure if the corrals filled up yet - should be in corral B after this weekend's race. 

Should be an interesting summer!

2nd life PR's: 19:24 5k / 39:52 10k / 1:27:36 1/2 mar / 3:08:03 marathon

Not sure if the corrals filled up yet - should be in corral B after this weekend's race. 

The corrals are definitely not filled, and probably won't actually fill at all. I have never heard of anyone who submitted a seeding time that didn't get their proper corral assignment, as long as the proof was submitted before the deadline (sometime in August).

I just used my Boston time to bump up to corral B last week. I faxed my time on Tuesday night, and I got my new corral assignment by the next morning.

sAc238

Zeus

The corrals are definitely not filled, and probably won't actually fill at all. I have never heard of anyone who submitted a seeding time that didn't get their proper corral assignment, as long as the proof was submitted before the deadline (sometime in August).

I just used my Boston time to bump up to corral B last week. I faxed my time on Tuesday night, and I got my new corral assignment by the next morning.

Thanks for the info. 

Chicagomarathon.com states:  "Qualifying times must be submitted in the form of a race result certificate or race result page from a marathon or half marathon run no earlier than January 1, 2008 and no later than August 6, 2010."

What does "race results page" mean if "E-mail messages or Web site links will not be accepted as proof of qualifying." ??

Thanks for the info. 

Chicagomarathon.com states:  "Qualifying times must be submitted in the form of a race result certificate or race result page from a marathon or half marathon run no earlier than January 1, 2008 and no later than August 6, 2010."

What does "race results page" mean if "E-mail messages or Web site links will not be accepted as proof of qualifying." ??

Race results page simply means look up your qualifying race result on the internet, print the page that has your time, and fax it to the marathon folks.  If the results page you print has a lot of other names too, feel free to add an arrow or a star next to your time to help the person who will read your submission.

I get fancy and also include a cover letter with information to help them locate my entry for updating.  Here's the letter I sent this year:

By Fax to 312-904-9808

Bank of America Chicago Marathon

135 S. LaSalle St., Suite 2705
                              Chicago, Illinois 60603

Attn:    Bank of America Chicago Marathon Start Corrals

Re:       2010 Start Corral Proof

Dear Sir or Madam:

Enclosed please find my submitted proof and request for seeding in Corral B for the 2010 Bank of America Chicago Marathon.  The submitted marathon time of 3:27:07 is from the Boston Marathon held on April 19, 2010.  A printed confirmation of my finishing time is attached.

My registration ID for the 2010 Chicago Marathon is 3371XXXX.

Thank you.

I attached a print-out of my results page from the Boston Marathon website, and then faxed them to the Chicago folks.  That's all there is to it.  You can certainly skip the separate cover letter, but its probably helpful to include the basic information at least on the fax cover sheet.

sAc238

Zeus

Gotcha.  Simple. 

Thank you. :-)