Chicago Marathon

Looks dusty around here... (Read 173 times)

BexKix, Bagel Defender

... is this mic on?  Hello?

Looks like there's a handful of new group members here.  How's winter training looking? Smile

Welcome aboard! Yeah, I'm afraid its usually pretty dull around these parts until closer to the race.  Perhaps the influx of new users will liven up the conversation.  In the meanwhile, I and others do pop in when we see new messages.

Personally, I'm re-building my running fitness after an injury cost me the whole 2012 racing calendar.  Sad  But, if things continue to progress, I should be ready for a Fall marathon in 2013.  I've run Chicago in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011 so I've got the routine down.  I might look to run something out-of-town (for me), but haven't decided yet.

Anyone else eyeing Chicago this year?  I'm predicting that the race will close in less than 24 hours this year, so keep an eye out for the registration details.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

BexKix, Bagel Defender

There's a handful of us imports from BF planning on it.

i'm planning on it filling gut-wrenchingly fast. I think it's going to go to the fastest clickers. 

miniSx2

The Jogger

I think you can expect a number of RW imports.  At least to test if this site is any better...RW has become not so good after the recent upgrade.

26.2 2007-4:19, 2008-4:00 2009-3:42 2010-3:36 2011-3:18 2012-3:06 2013-3:04 2017-2:59 2019: 2:56. Few thuds in between.

As the custodian of the this group, I welcome all the newcomers with open arms.  Its a shame the forums over on RWOL have gotten so bad -- I've lurked for years in the Chicago Marathon forum there and always enjoyed the friendliness of the regulars,

For what its worth, this group is pretty much a blank slate. If people want to post monthlies or dailies, that's OK with me. If people want to post off-topic stuff, that's OK too. 

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I think you can expect a number of RW imports.  At least to test if this site is any better...RW has become not so good after the recent upgrade.

Hey, I know you!

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

miniSx2

The Jogger

Hey, I know you!

Nice avatar.

26.2 2007-4:19, 2008-4:00 2009-3:42 2010-3:36 2011-3:18 2012-3:06 2013-3:04 2017-2:59 2019: 2:56. Few thuds in between.

Maniac

I ran Chicago in 2011...For some reason, I haven't "withdrawn" from the group yet.  Maybe I subconciously want another crack at it?  The race didn't go well for one of the guys I was running with and we had made a pact to run the thing together.  I could have done a lot better that day...maybe someday I'll go back and post a better time.

I wore my shirt from that race on my long run yesterday and passed a guy who made a comment about it.  That's always nice.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

I ran Chicago in 2011...For some reason, I haven't "withdrawn" from the group yet.  

Why would you ever leave?  Once a Chicago runner, always a Chicago runner.  Smile

I love wearing out-of-town race gear here in Chicago.  It seems like everyone and their mother has a Chicago Marathon shirt, but a shirt from a faraway locale tells me the wearer is a dedicated runner (especially if there are unicorns on it).

Docket_Rocket

That will change soon, no?

Count me in for 2013...hopefully.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

miniSx2

The Jogger

I've done 5 Chicago's...2008-2012.  Hopefully the registration process won't be a mess this year.

I'm guessing that registration will be open for 3 days, +/- 1 day.  I don't think it'll close on opening day.

Then again, I was surprised that registration closed in 5 days last year.  I honestly thought the pace in 2011 would be slower than 2010, which had the whole "10-10-10" vibe going for it.   So that shows what I know.

One other thing: while registration for the marathon usually opens on 2/1, keep and eye open for a possible earlier registration date. The Shamrock Shuffle, a 40,000 runner 8K staged by the same people who put on the Chicago Marathon, changed their long-standing regitsration start from 1/2 to 12/3.  Perhaps they simply wanted to create some separate from the marathon registration period.  Or perhaps, maybe, its a signal that they are moving to earlier registration dates.  This is just an observation, however.

miniSx2

The Jogger

Berlin closed in what...8 hrs?  vs 40 days last year.  

Wow, that's crazy.  Chicago went from 32 days in 2010 to 5 days in 2011.  I guess a 1-day sell out is definitely a possibility.  Uggh,

May the fastest click win.  Joking

Docket_Rocket

Berlin closed in what...8 hrs?  vs 40 days last year.  

Yes. And when I registered for 2012 it closed weeks later.  You never know.  I would register ASAP.  After me, of course Joking

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page