Circle North

Cuch's Ghost Train Trail Run Support Page (Read 284 times)

L Train

Except that sounds a little like what the African kids were yelling at Ali, so there might be some confusion.

click.

L Train

Anyway, that was one of the coolest things I've ever been a part of.  Even the people that looked good looked terrible.  I don't know how else to describe the whole thing other than using the word raw. 

L Train

Now stream of consciousness a bit.  Being at the start/finish at Cremer with our little makeshift campsite with Cremer, sipping on a beer and seeing runners come and go, it's easy to get caught up in how cool the whole thing is.  And I think running 50 miles, as weird as that sounds, is somewhat easily within all of our capabilities if everything goes right and you pace yourself. 

100 miles, holy cow.  Everyone just looked awful.  The lead girl actually looked the best, but her breathing was effing all out of whack.  This becomes about so much more than simply endurance, nutrition plays such a huge role, I think.  Even with that, even my itty bitty little part I was actually very tired and my feet hurt like hell.  Any visions I had of being able to do this were quickly surpressed, at least until the next time I get to crew her in this or something else. 

Cuch did awesome.  I think she just didn't get enough calories early in the race, and I'm not sure you could.  My rough estimate says she should have been consuming 12,000 calories during this thing, and I'm not sure how you get yourself to do that and get everything to stay down. 

L Train

Another thing - feet.  Mine were very sore.  No blisters or anything, just pain in the bones, arches, instep, ankle.  Cuch spent a lot of time doubled over in pain in the last several miles because her feet were killing her.  She said something about something dgging into her foot at one point, but that wasn't the main problem.  Ultimately, we decided against trying to fix that, because if we took her shoe off it would have swelled up to 2X it snormal size and we never would have gotten it back on.  I'd be surprised if she is able to walk around the cuch homestead today. 

Oh, and if she wasn't doubled over in foot pain, she was doubled over with dry heaves.  It was difficult to tell which was which, and she wasn't much help in the diagnosis. 

Everyone should really try this.   

lost my connection for a few hours there.

holy shit...i knew i shouldn't have cut those bushes down...that wind is blowing the siding right off the house.

they let the kids out early from school so i had to get in the car to go pick him up...it was a task. i felt stupid dragging my right foot walking into school and clutching the railing and groaning going up and down the stairs. got back to the car and felt nauseas again...haha. 

but i do feel much better today so that's good.

anyways, what was i going to say?........................................................................i forgot. 

i expect to be blown off line again here very soon.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

Home Away From Home

Now this Allycia's reply after I read the above commentary to her, "Tell Robiun I say suck it up, no pain no gain"  of course she had a smile on her face at the time of saying this and while I am typing this I am speaking it out loud to her and she told me "you realize she is going to hit me for this."  I continued to type and then hit the "post" button. 

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

"Tell Robiun I say suck it up, no pain no gain" . 

holy shit...i dreamt this very thing last night. i couldn't move at all...and ally was yelling at me...and i woke up...and didn't know where i was. it took me a few seconds to realize it was over.

"This becomes about so much more than simply endurance, nutrition plays such a huge role, I think. "

I haven't even done more than 80 miles or so in a seven day stretch.  To me the mental aspect of this alone is incredible, to go 21 freakin' hours in row.  I struggle to stay awake that long these days, nevermind to keep pushing forward.

What was I chasing again?

A little bit of stream of consciousness from me, too...

Just being there was very cool. Lots of cool little mental images to save, just at the start/finish area. For one thing, it was nighttime, and though we were literally sitting within feet of the trail, you couldn't see it at all. Just total darkness, and every so often, somebody's headlight would come bobbing into view off in the distance. They'd emerge from the darkness into the aid station, some looking super strong (in a wobbly superstrong kind of way), some looking like death, all of them happy to have made it back there again. Some would get what they needed and disappear back into the night for another loop. Some couldn't go another step.

They had bathrooms available next to the start in the Milford Public Works garage. I was in there using the facilities and some random guy named Pablo sitting in the stall started talking to me. We chit-chatted a bit, and he told me that he'd finished the 100 in 18 hours and something. He seemed like a nice guy. What he didn't mention was that he won the race, by a large margin.

I now have a whole new appreciation for how hard a thing it is to tackle a race that long. Cuch may or may not come to see what she did as a success, but I do. Absolutely, without a doubt.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

i am going to run this next year....however, i am not going to post a mileage goal. it will be, "lets see how many miles ( or laps) i can run this time." 

i realize i may never get to 100...i may not be capable of such a thing. i just need to go back and see what i can do.

i. did. not. die.

L Train

On the calendar.

Home Away From Home

I knew you where lying to me and yourself when you said never again. It took you less then 48 hours to figure that out. Good job, c u there if I am home, though I may need my own pacers and support depending. 

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

i am going to run this next year

In. 

(Unless I pick some other one to do before that, in which case I'm in as a pacer.)

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

Hey cuch, are these the shoes you wewre seeing (sorry, it was dark for me)?

Hey cuch, are these the shoes you wewre seeing (sorry, it was dark for me)?

i think so...i'm not positive. i don't remember the name but they look like that. how much are they? the ones i saw run about 170...i believe. yes i need the moon snickers for next time for sure.