Circle North

Do you/How do you Work out? (Read 336 times)

Home Away From Home

Here is a question I got to thinking about.  Now after Cuch's reply to slick I am scard of her yelling at me but here goes any way.  Do you and if you do, how do you work out as far as eight lifting?  About 2 months ago I started a 45minute routine of some basic all around weight lifting for all body parts.  Problem is I am starting to feel the occassional twinge in my leg/knees.  Now before continuing to read this you must all stop, turn your head and look down at your calfs, hams, quads, whatever.  We ALL have picture perfct Mens/Women's Health photgraph legs.  We are serious runners.  So I got to thinking why the FUdge am I working my legs through lunges, squads, etc? I am thinking of just shifting to upper body only.  What about you all?

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

L Train

I do practically nothing.  But I know I SHOULD do core work, not so much leg work. 

Home Away From Home

I do practically nothing.  But I know I SHOULD do core work, not so much leg work. 

That s definitely what I am thinking, Allycia wants me to do yoga with her so I may try that to help stay loose and flexible and buld core. This leg thing just doesn't make sense.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Here is a question I got to thinking about.  Now after Cuch's reply to slick I am scard of her yelling at me but here goes any way.  Do you and if you do, how do you work out as far as eight lifting?  About 2 months ago I started a 45minute routine of some basic all around weight lifting for all body parts.  Problem is I am starting to feel the occassional twinge in my leg/knees.  Now before continuing to read this you must all stop, turn your head and look down at your calfs, hams, quads, whatever.  We ALL have picture perfct Mens/Women's Health photgraph legs.  We are serious runners.  So I got to thinking why the FUdge am I working my legs through lunges, squads, etc? I am thinking of just shifting to upper body only.  What about you all?

keep doin lunges and squats to keep full range of motion/strength in the legs. runnin only will cause weakness/injury to unused/overused areas in the lower half, which may explain your pain. take it slow and build....you want your whole leg to be strong, not just the parts that make you run fast.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

L Train

keep doin lunges and squats to keep full range of motion/strength in the legs. runnin only will cause weakness/injury to unused/overused areas in the lower half, which may explain your pain. take it slow and build....you want your whole leg to be strong, not just the parts that make you run fast.

Michael, remember that she's a triathlete and can't run for shit.

Michael, remember that she's a triathlete and can't run for shit.

NEWSFLASH! mike's a triathlete too....dipshit!

L Train

NEWSFLASH! mike's a triathlete too

Aren't you all?

Aren't you all?

hook on....hook on....hook on....the answer is out there.

Home Away From Home

I am a wannabe triathelete at this point.  Thanks for the advice Cuch, makes sense but if you don't mind me asking aren't you the Bi-onic woman with them them bandages, braces, tape and other Sit, should I really be listening to you? Wink

MM#5768

should I really be listening to you? Wink

well....i have over 20 years of self taught experience with only runnin, so absolutely not.

I have a very nice weight room set up, with a very nice weight bench with all the bells and whistles on it. I use it almost every day... to hang wet running clothes on. I recently installed a "perfect pullup" system to go with my "perfect pushup" gadget. So far they just sit here and mock me.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

My salty dogs

That s definitely what I am thinking, Allycia wants me to do yoga with her so I may try that to help stay loose and flexible and buld core. This leg thing just doesn't make sense.

I fully agree with your thinking. Forget the weights for your legs. Work on your core and include some yoga if you want to see improvements both in your running and multisport. Runners can adjust their bike position to take advantage of the strength they already have plus the cycling you do will build enough muscle where needed. Simplest core work is planks . I like to do 5 min straight shifting every 30 seconds from regular, side with leg lifts, and with alternated arm and leg raised.

Home Away From Home

Simplest core work is planks . I like to do 5 min straight shifting every 30 seconds from regular, side with leg lifts, and with alternated arm and leg raised.

Damn Salty, is that 5 minutes without every letting your legs touch the mat?  There is no way I can do that, may 30 sec TOTAL.

MM#5768

My salty dogs

Damn Salty, is that 5 minutes without every letting your legs touch the mat?  There is no way I can do that, may 30 sec TOTAL.

30 sec regular plank ( starting position for a push up), 30 sec on right side with - left arm & leg on the ground- right arm and leg in the air, return back to regular plank but lift left hand and right leg off ground, back to regular plank, switch to left side and raise left arm and left leg off the ground, then after 30 seconds return to regular plank.    Repeat........

Granted-- the first time doing this I can't hold the side leg extended for the whole 30 seconds but after just a few days you will be able to.

For a really good time-- add a push up once in a while to the mix.

"Beep, Beep!"

Try doing it on elbows at first instead of fully extended arms.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!