Circle North

St Thomas 5k 2014 (Read 17 times)

I will help. Pace  8:30ish. What time do I need to arrive.?

Awesome.  We could use the help.  I will post instructions as we get closer over the next few weeks but probably 30 mins before th race would be plenty of time.

Thanks for making me look like a slacker Gwen.

I will help. Pace  8:30ish. What time do I need to arrive.?

I know who my real friends are.

Thanks for making me look like a slacker Gwen.

L Train

After 4 weeks of practice I figured I’d give an update about what’s been happening with the St. Thomas Running Club.  By my attendee list, we have 49 kids from pre K – 6th grade.  Luckily, I have lots of help and 2 teachers are actually running with the kids both practices during the week.  Mrs. G has the pre K – 1st grader, Mrs. B has the 2 and 3rd graders, and I have 4th – 6th along with Collin C and Tanner because those guys get after it.

Running for time is not an issue for these kids, and we run for 25 minutes consequently already including today.  The interval piece is where it gets tough for the majority of these kids.  We’ve run harder intervals and built up to 5 mins of running at race pace but the carnage is ugly (only my group does the hard stuff while the 2 younger groups just run).   Our schedule is tough because we really only have about 40 minutes to do anything after getting the kids on the field, warm up, etc.  I only give 1 water break now and that seems to have cut down on the lollygagging time but that blows between 5-10 mins as well.

The undisputed #1 seed is absolutely Lewis F.  The kid is lean, has a natural stride, and won the 5k last year with football cleats on.   He has moved on to running shoes but the kid is a beast and should be in the mid 21s if things go well for him.  Cremer – if you are around, this could be your guy.  I definitely need a fast pacer for this guy so if Cremer can’t make this, L Train, Doug, etc this could be your guy.  Liam Daily is my undisputed #2 guy because he is also a natural but hasn’t worked super hard.  He can just run.  If he wanted to stay with Lewis I have no doubt he could for 2.5 miles of this thing.  Connor is #3 but that could change if Liam has a bad day or IF Patrick or Collin M are feeling it.  Collin and Patrick have a tendency to fake injuries, claim they don’t feel well, etc every other practice.  When they feel like running they are every bit as good as my son, probably better.  Cameron has also surprised me this year as well.  If he wanted to run well, he is capable of it.  But he doesn’t care.  For the girls, it could be very interesting.  Linda (6th and 25:55 last year) has great ability but definitely doesn’t have the same killer instinct her older sister has (21:14 last year as a 7th grader…I think).  Brynn (5th) could easily win the race for the girls and give many of the boys a run for their money (26:45 last year).  Gwen – I will probably have you run with these 2.  Madison L is also doing a nice job this year and has run with Brynn at almost every practice so this could be interesting.  Collin C is a 3rd grader who will likely beat a lot of the older kids as he ran 27:50 as a 7 year old.  Tanner is another 3rd grader who likes to complete and will probably hang with the older kids and finish with Collin C.  If Collin C really got after it he could come in the top 4 or 5 easily.

I definitely will need so pacers, so if you are free the last Saturday in October, I could absolutely use the help. 

L Train

Love reading this.  Cool.

Just for the record here, I really would love to help but am already committed to helping the High School kids at their major meet at Derryfield Park in Manchester, NH that day.

I think this is a great idea and thing you all have going.  Steve, if I can help you out at one of the practices or something let me know.  If I can swing it I will.

What was I chasing again?

PS... I will even put a shirt on.

What was I chasing again?

Ok.  I've got Lance and Gwen for pacers.  Who else can help?

GregM

I'm available.  Call me if need be, 651-2770.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

Calling All Pacers

We've got almost 50 kids running the St Thomas 5k on Saturday and I can definitely use your help if you are free.  Right now, I have enlisted Greg2, Lance, and Gwen.  I know that Rob, Cremer, Michelle, and Eric are out because of previous commitments/work/injury and I could definitely use some more people if you are free.  Doug - unless you can't run because of injury or prior commitment this means you. 

From a responsibility perspective your jobs are to keep these guys in check through the first half of the race.  Most of the kids would have no issue running alone so if the group splinters stay with the slowest kids.  We shouldn't have any discipline issues so you guys should be ok in that department.

I've got the same yellow shirts as last year for all pacers and you are welcome to wear that over whatever you have on.  The BAA yellow shirts are good to and I know many of you have those.

If you guys can be there by 8:30 that would be great. 

Here's the way it looks from a prediction perspective:

22:30 - < 22:00 - Lewis

Greg2 this is likely your guy and he may could very well run mid 21s if he's feeling it.  The key with him is to start off even, and see what he has after 2.  I bet this guy could run low 7s for his 3rd mile.  He won't say a word the entire time but just make sure he's on track.  But he's a beast so if he looks like he has some juice halfway through let it rip.

23:30 - 24:00 - Connor Curcio, Liam, Mason, Collin M, and Patrick

This is my group and the reality is that Liam could run with Lewis through 2 if he wanted to but he is a very mellow kid with no killer instinct.  He could do it if he wanted to and I see him running with this pack until the end and taking off if he feels it.  This is a group of soccer layers who are all in good shape.  Connor should break 24 but he's dopey like his old man and likes to go out fast.  Patrick and Collin M are the wild cards.  If they want to run they can but phantom injuries and effort hurt them.  We'll see.

24:00 - 26:00 - Lots of kids in this timeframe.  Linda (L Train) could very well run under 25 if she was feeling it, Brynn, Madison, Tanner M, Collin C (Todd M), John Paul, Emily C is a crew that could all easily run this pace or better.  Gwen - you've got group of likely 25:30 ish type runners.  Your job is to keep them under control for the first mile 1-1.5 and then let them go if they're feeling it.

26-32 - Tons of kids in this range and I've got a couple of parents for this group like Kevin and Dawn L, etc

34-38 - My daughter and her friends are being paced by Ken B

Any little kid not running with a parent will be the responsibility of Lisa G.

Let me know if you have any questions.

L Train

Linda (L Train) could very well run under 25 if she was feeling it, Bryn, Madison, Tanner M, Collin C (Todd M), John Paul, Emily C is a crew that could all easily run this pace or better. 

So who here is my responsibility and who is Gwen?  Or is my responsibility time, say 25 minutes?  If it's Bryn, Madi, John Paul and Emily that's fine by me, I have good relationships with the three girls, John Paul I don't really know.

You should mention the yellow shirts if you are going to want people wearing them.

Also, Greg, with Liam, Steve's right, he won't say a word.  But he needs you.  He needs you to hold him back slightly at the beginning but then to pull him when he has some doubt.  He doesn't need any doubt, he can run.  And he also competes, he pulled right away from Ethan in the last 0.25 last year despite my pleading with my son to move his ass and not suffer the indignity of getting 4th gradered.

Pacers also have to realize that their responsibility is to the best person in their group. If someone is struggling, they can get picked up by the next group.

Also, Steve, one of my best experiences was after I was done, going back to run the other kids in as they came.  Many times they have lost their pacers and they need to feel that rush at the finish.  They loved it.  Just a thought for you.

All good points. You mean Lewis....not Liam but you whatever....and you've got Linda unless you want to trade.

Definitely going back to run in with people.  That is awesome.

L Train

Sorry yes, Lewis.

Linda 1-1?  I'm not sure she even likes me (I know, who does) I might be wrong but I anticipate Bryn, Madi and Emily trying to stick with me and Linda then. I might be wrong.  But if you are saying Linda is faster I have her and the others stick if they can and want to.  Sound OK?