Circle North

Boston 2014 tracking (Read 17 times)

GregM

Weather was perfect for me.  I felt short of breath when Greg C started picking up the pace around 3 or 4 miles in, then I noticed my quads around 6.  I expected this given no running for the last 3 weeks (except for 2 miles on Friday).  I was trying to rest my PF and relied on spinning instead of running.  That should have helped my cardio more.  Tina thinks my allergies may have made me feel winded, as I have had some symptoms since the race, but I'm doubtful and think it may simply be a loss of running fitness like my quads (and calves).  The PF was not a problem due to a marcaine injection at 8am, but I did notice it around 13 or 14.  Still, the quads and calves were the weak link at that point and for the remaining miles.  I did miss a BQ by 17 seconds, which was discouraging because I thought I had it up until the last mile when I realized I could not run sub-8.  Nevertheless I made my most important goal which was to finish and keep the streak alive at 5.  Mucho congrats to Greg C for another perfect race and PR!  I sure wish I could have hung with him but I knew at 6 miles in that was a lost cause, so I wished him and Jimbo good luck as I backed off so that I could finish.  I was surprised and saddened when I saw Jimbo at 23.  (As I write this I'm soaking my legs in a cold bath for the second time today which I highly recommend.)

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

My salty dogs

Ouch.  Am I right that 3:30:17 is 17 seconds short for Greg M's BQ?

mta: I think I am.  That would mean that Doug, Greg, Tom and Jim all have to run another marathon before September.

The 50+ cut off this year ended up being 3:28"20.     So be careful about counting seconds and try to get 5min or better below qualifying for next year.