Circle North

Garmin 310XT (Read 132 times)

Home Away From Home

I was looking at the water proof  garmin 310 XT as a wish list gift for me. I had read that most HR monitors don't go in the water. Does anyone know about this one? It kinda sucks to have a waterproof watch with quick release strap etc to then have to stop and put on your HR monitor strap during your transition.  Just wondering if you guys had any info. Wish the 310XT was designed more like the new rounded 410 versions, those are nice over the boxy 305/310 but oh well can't win everything.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Home Away From Home

Well guys after some further research I found this and thought I would share:

¹Included with some models; available separately with others. Only soft strap heart rate monitor accessory is waterproof (hard strap monitor cannot be used in water). Although soft strap monitor may be worn in water, it will not record, store or transmit heart rate data to the watch while in water.

Guess that answers that, get the soft strap.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

heh...i didn't know they even had water gahmins. spinnin woman keeps houndin me to get a hr monitor. i'm afraid of adding anothah numbah to get obsessed by.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

Home Away From Home

I love my Garmin but the HR strap I have and the watch itself aren't tri friendly for the swim.  I thought maybe of splurging on teh watch since it is waterproof and now that I know the strap is too it seems pretty nice.  Only issue is price that I can put towards other things more important. I  NEED a better helmet as a must and I need to replace my broken running/biking  sunglasses so another 450 on top of that is steep BUT you can get the watch to track your bike cadence and everythings so it is worth the money and it isn't like we don't use it for what it was designed for. I somehow for see us getting the tri bug. I doubt we will go through August and come away with a sense of not doing another. I think at least a few of us having probably wanted to do one but just needed Shell to push us of the fence into commitment.  All I have to do now is sign up which I will do when I get home.

MM#5768