Circle North

2012 CN Group Marathon (Read 320 times)

GregM

Caroline and Josh are running Toronto at the end of October. I heard it supposed to be a great race and fun city. http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

The one I really would like to run though is the Marine Corp Marathon. Supposed to be one of the best run marathons around.

http://www.marinemarathon.com/

I say this sounds perfect.  Anyone want to second that before we take a vote?

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

GregM

All, it has been a few years, Oct 2009, since we have done a group marathon. I was wondering if we where interested in trying to do one in 2012?  I have a few options below that are relatively close but open for anything.  If we want to do something more exciting or overseas whatever just let me know and I will try to research.  I am sticking with fall as the best time because of those training for boston, my etc in the spring. 

August 18th, Reykjavik-Iceland, 10,000-15,000 entries. Been to Iceland=AWESOME place and could be a blast.

This is a copy of the Rock and Roll Marathon series for review.

Providence, RI Aug. 19, 2012
      Chicago, IL Summer 2012
      Virginia Beach, VA Sept. 2, 2012
      Philadelphia, PA Sept. 16, 2012
      San Jose, CA Oct. 2012
      Denver, CO Oct. 2012
      New York 10K Oct. 2012

I'll keep searching later as well.

Among these, Iceland sounds best to me.  Actually, if everyone can make it, that would be my first choice.  Michael's input is based on reliable, first-hand experience, and I've heard (and seen) lots of good things about Iceland, including its hot springs (my kind of temp).  Flying there is easy and affordable too on Iceland Air, last I knew.  I think Iceland is used as a stopover for most northern European flights from the US, which makes for lots of available flights and good prices.  

Either sounds great to me.  Put me down for a half vote.  Since I haven't made it to a starting line for one yet, not sure I deserve a full or any vote, but I plan to go if at all possible.

What was I chasing again?

Home Away From Home

Well, I am game for anything, I agree that iceland would be easy for flights and the place is lovely, city is awesome, seafood to DIE for. A great place. That being said, I also would do germany or England. I am also interested in overseas stuff instead of the ones we can do anytime on our own.  I don't want to force others out of going though if it gets to far beyond their comfort or money though either which is why I think Iceland, london could be doable. I think running the great wall of china would be great but the ticket along wouild kill most people.

I am not there on tuesdays for awhile and though I don't think we are in a huge rush we shoud try to limit to a few options say 3 or so then we can compare tickets, fees, race size, info etc and present to group for the final agreement so we can start with plans.

Is someone able to take the lead a little on tueday's to spread the word and ideas to those not on RA?  I don't mind the websote research, I can help with that once we narrow down the option.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

GregM

Michael, if you can provide some details about Iceland (available airfares, accommodations, places to see, things to do) I think we might recruit the group to go.  You say the food is to DIE for, and that's what I'd say about the hot springs, if they are what they're cracked up to be.  Have you experienced them?

Home Away From Home

Greg-

I have done the hot springs, they are pretty great, especially after a marathon I can only imagine they will be better on a sore body.  The main city, Reykjavik is a great city kinda like the Portland feel, not to big and over whelming but yet larger and more fun then Sanford. There are good bars, clubs and great food. Everyone speaks english so no problems there. The course runs through the city streets and along the ocean so prety view.

I have not had a lot of time to start comparing web page prices but I will see what I can do in the next few days.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Home Away From Home

Not definite yet but I think I may have found my Spring marathon. The Knoxville marathon in TN on 4/1. My dad lives there so a place to stay and can turn it into a little family vacation.  The internet searching may be over for that one at least. On to the next one.

MM#5768

GregM

Greg-

I have done the hot springs, they are pretty great, especially after a marathon I can only imagine they will be better on a sore body.  The main city, Reykjavik is a great city kinda like the Portland feel, not to big and over whelming but yet larger and more fun then Sanford. There are good bars, clubs and great food. Everyone speaks english so no problems there. The course runs through the city streets and along the ocean so prety view.

This sounds too good to be true, but it's not, so we should put together a contingent for Iceland.  My calendar is marked:  Aug 18, 2012

My salty dogs

I've just paid for my flight and hotel in Mrydle Beach  -- plan to run the Marathon but if anything goes bad during training i'll back down to the 1/2.

Race is on Saturday February 18th.

GregM

Cool, Salty.  I'd love to join you.  Seems like a long shot at this point, but who knows?  It might happen.

Home Away From Home

I think I'll be out at work so probably out of that one. 

MM#5768

Home Away From Home

There was some talk of interest in Philly last night.  As there is still some interest in Iceland I included some info on that as well.  Here is some info I found.

In my opinion the sooner we nail down and at least confirm a race people can start thinking of registering and training plans. 

ICELAND - August 18th, registration opens Jan 2012, Pretty flat, very scenic course through the city.  Flights as of today are around 600-700 roundtrip with a thursday departure and a Monday return.  This is Boston to Reykjavik direct.  Registration is 57-70 EUROS

registration-$80, flight-$700, Hotel-$300, food-$300 = $1500

PHILLY- Nov. 17/18, registration opens April 1st., Pretty flat through the city. Flights as of today are 200-300 roundtrip from Portland to Philly. 

website: http://www.philadelphiamarathon.com/marathon. Registration is 85-125 dollars.

registration-$90, flight-$300, Hotel-$300, food-$300 = $1000

Though I think the Iceland would be an AWESOME trip if money is an issue, Philly will be cheaper by the looks of it.   Looks like we can do Philly for about what we did in Chicago.   I guessed on the hotel and food as I figure it will all depend on how we want to roll.  

MM#5768

My salty dogs

There was some talk of interest in Philly last night.  As there is still some interest in Iceland I included some info on that as well.  Here is some info I found.

In my opinion the sooner we nail down and at least confirm a race people can start thinking of registering and training plans. 

ICELAND - August 18th, registration opens Jan 2012, Pretty flat, very scenic course through the city.  Flights as of today are around 600-700 roundtrip with a thursday departure and a Monday return.  This is Boston to Reykjavik direct.  Registration is 57-70 EUROS

registration-$80, flight-$700, Hotel-$300, food-$300 = $1500

PHILLY- Nov. 17/18, registration opens April 1st., Pretty flat through the city. Flights as of today are 200-300 roundtrip from Portland to Philly. 

website: http://www.philadelphiamarathon.com/marathon. Registration is 85-125 dollars.

registration-$90, flight-$300, Hotel-$300, food-$300 = $1000

Though I think the Iceland would be an AWESOME trip if money is an issue, Philly will be cheaper by the looks of it.   Looks like we can do Philly for about what we did in Chicago.   I guessed on the hotel and food as I figure it will all depend on how we want to roll.  

If you all go to Iceland great -- that said -- I could at least consider Philly. I like that is doesn't open until April.  

Home Away From Home

If you all go to Iceland great -- that said -- I could at least consider Philly. I like that is doesn't open until April.  

Love to have you along Salty, wouldn't be a CN group run without you.

MM#5768

My salty dogs

Love to have you along Salty, wouldn't be a CN group run without you.

I have a half Ironman in October -- not sure I'll be running ready but what the heck -- that will give Greg a shot, Jim too.

Any others want a piece of me!!!  This may be your last chance!!!  (for a while anyways)