Circle North

Goose Rocks 5k (Read 197 times)

GregM

July 4th at 9:00 a.m. in Kennebunkport.  Anyone doing this?

Here's the website: 

http://gooserocksbeachassociation.org/road_race_info.php

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

I'm a definite maybe.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

I wasa definite unlikely, now I'm a definite no way in hell. 

My salty dogs

I wasa definite unlikely, now I'm a definite no way in hell. 

Get off you butt and run the race.  

I was feeling pretty good about myself -- 4 weeks of 30 miles back to back and a solid 120 for the month -- then I looked at all'yall's logs --- shit -- you'all are double that.  I just don't know how you do it.

I'll do a 10k on the 4th but I'm expecting to be 3 min slower than my last Hang over classic time.

GregM

I'm a definite maybe.

That's great, Greg.  Shall we car pool?

Anyone else?

L Train

Hey Greg M, while you are here....do I remember that you used duct tape on your hamstring before Boston 2010?  If so, how did you do that?  Did you wrap up before every run then take it off with scissors?

You sure you're not thinking of cuch's feet? I believe I remember her duct taping them last year for her pf. Then again, there are a million and one uses for duct tape.

GM, if I do go Kim will likely come and we'll make a beach day out of it, so the carpool option probably won't work.

GregM

Hey Greg M, while you are here....do I remember that you used duct tape on your hamstring before Boston 2010?  If so, how did you do that?  Did you wrap up before every run then take it off with scissors?

Lance, I used athletic tape over an ace bandage (elastic) wrap.  You could also use an elastic sleeve in lieu of the ace bandage.  I graduated to this after Jim MacPhee suggested it.  I'll look for mine and lend it to you, or you can ask Jim or anyone else in the group who might have one that is not being used. 

First, apply the elastic wrap or sleeve over the hamstring.  Then apply the athletic tape without zero added pressure; in other words, you don't want to make the elastic sleeve or wrap any tighter than it is without the tape.  You simply want the tape to prevent the sleeve or wrap from expanding when the muscle contracts. 

To anyone with a spare elastic sleeve for the upper leg (thigh or hamstring):  Please bring this to the group run this week (today).  Lance, I'll look for my elastic sleeve and bring some athletic tape to demonstrate the procedure.

EQUALLY IMPORTANT

Last fall, I posted links to three exercise videos designed to prevent hamstring injury and re-injury.  As stated then, I cannot recommend these enough.  There is no doubt in my mind that they helped me PR in both the 5k and the marathon.  Here's a link to that post:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/circlenorth/forum/3db2715859184f3ab3029a6a43137c1b

I saved the videos to my computer, so I can burn a CD if the videos are no longer available online.  Just let me know.

Good luck, and get well soon!

GregM

GM, if I do go Kim will likely come and we'll make a beach day out of it, so the carpool option probably won't work.

Hope you can make it, Greg.  Let me know so I can look for you at the start.  Lest I be a phantom again ...

L Train

Sub 19, congratulations, Greg M.

Very nice, Mr. McCullough, very nice.

(Also, nice to see Rick's name in there too.)

GregM

Thanks, guys.  Wish you were healthy enough, Lance, to run it.  Get well soon!

And good luck, Greg, with a PR (sub-19?) at Bob's race. You're on a roll.

I had all but written off the possibility of going sub-19 this year or any year thereafter. Maybe I was lucky.

It was nice to see Rick.  Had a nice little chat with him after the race.  He's getting back into it, though his cardio has taken a big hit.  I told him not to blame that on not being able to run.  Water running is always available to the injured folk.  Lance? 

By the way, on this subject, I was told by another runner over the weekend that the great Mary Decker PR'd in the 1500 (a world record?) six weeks after an injury, during which time she relied exclusively or almost exclusively on water running.  You might want to fact check this, because I haven't.  Still, I won't be surprised if it's accurate.

Thanks to Tall Dave for introducing me to this most effective injury rehabilitation routine.  By the way, Dave, are you following your own great advice?