Circle North

Chicago, 2009 (Read 772 times)

Randall

Bank of America Chicago Marathon Registration Closes as Race Reaches Capacity Shocked

"Beep, Beep!"

Add Becky to the list. She signed up last Sunday.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

L Train

2009 Course Map here: http://www.chicagomarathon.com/CMS400Min/uploadedFiles/Chicago_Marathon/Runner_Information/09_CM_Map_4_15.pdf We go by our hotel at about 0.3 miles. Salty may notice what appear to be a number of McDonalds' on the map. Laurie may notice 6 bridges (they are small). The area we are staying is right in the middle of many things you would like to see in Chicago. You can see Michigan Ave. running N/S that has "The Magnificent Mile". Rush and Grand street areas with lots of restaurants, blues clubs, etc. Navy Pier is sort of like a little amusemant park with a ferris wheel, etc. I suppose some of this may be closed in October. Really the whole lakefront area there is just interesting, as long as the weather isn't too brisk. You wil also notice McCormick place right around the 40K mark. That's where the packet pickup is. The way I remember it, there are shuttles from a few hotels, including the Hilton which is very close by.

My salty dogs

Pre Chicago Carbo Load Dinner: (not just for those running the race)

Stugazzis in Springvale (Italian food & pizza)

Wednesday Oct 7th at 6pm

Located across from Rite-Aid at 459 Main Street.

If you plan to join me please let me know.  If the numbers get large enough I can make arrangements for seating.

Dave

My salty dogs

Exciting day!!   Number confirmation arrived today!!

3 weeks and a wake up.  Let the taper begin.

"Beep, Beep!"

Got mine yesterday! #6269.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

My salty dogs

Taper Time.  Tough to sit still on a Sunday after weeks of long runs.  Keeping healthy has always been a problem for me in the weeks leading up to a marathon.  Sitting still isn't easy.  I got a bit carried away outside with some yard work.

Next weekend-- nothing!!  

I'm looking forward to the group run this Tuesday but I won't be pushing the finish.  

I hope everyone is feeling good.  So far the weather looks promising.

My salty dogs

Well it is time to move on and clear things from my daily life.

I am removing the link for this site from my tool bar and won't be checking in again.

If someone begins using it again please email me.

I thought is was a good idea and it started out well. Too many things related to the trip never made it here.

Cheers.

GregM

Ditto, Salty.  But don't be discouraged about the site.  It is a great place to keep track of your training, and the training of others who post their info, as Lance and I have been doing.  Thanks, Lance, for keeping me motivated!

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

L Train

Greg -

The work you've put in has been enviable, and your results more so.  3:15, 3:20 at worst is there if you want it I would bet. 

My salty dogs

Aftermath:  What an experience!    I am more motivated and encouraged than ever. Due entirely to the group of CN runners.

I'm big on lessons learned but not dwelling on missed opportunities-- my lesson-- when feeling good-- watch the clock more closely in the middle miles.   I am too use to trying to hang on during the 16-21 stretch of Boston and could have pushed a bit harder in Chicago.  For a PR every second counts and while I had a great last 5 miles-- making up time isn't going to happen. Having never felt so good, I only focused on my body and HR, not seeing a few seconds drop per mile and adjusting cost 60 seconds in the end and a PR. While best performance ever in a Fall marathon and best time in 30 months-- my performance in retrospect was sweet-bitter (not bitter sweet).

Average HR for the first 21 miles was dead on 164.  174 for the last 5.2,  next time I'll look to step up the HR a bit between mile 16-21, something like 166-168.

Time for goals:    (everything I have read says to put it out there-so here it is)

Big Time:   Sub 2:48 in Boston

Mid:   Sub 1:20 in Hampton 1/2 in Feb and at Eastern States in March

Short:  Sub 36 in 10K Jan 1st (if not during a nor-easter)

Sub 2:46 in Sugarloaf Marathon (May)

How to get there:  

Begin training Nov 1st not Jan 1st.

Average 40 miles per week Jan 1-April 10th.

Include hill repeats 2 times a month beginning Nov 1 (Friday nights of non-race weekends)

Include speed drills 2 times a month beginning Nov 1 (Friday nights of non-race weekends)

Race 3 times (5K-15k)  between Oct 31st and Dec 26th

L Train

I'm going to post some goals here as well - just have to give it a little more thought.  Initial thoughts are to strengthen my middle, lose 15 pounds, run a 3:30 or better marathon in the spring, get my 1/2 marathon time down to 1:35 in the fall and run 2300 miles in '10.  Need to continue to improve my form, lifting my legs on my stride, etc.

My salty dogs

L-Train

Those goals look great.  Since you are still thinking them over consider this:

Quality over quantity will be my focus for TY10.   I"ll break my annual milage into 4 parts.

For quantity- this may be my first 1000+ year ever so while I hope to increase that slightly I would rather focus for shorter periods and not worry about the annual total.

Jan-April-- 16 weeks with 2 of taper/recovery. My goal will be an average of 40 miles per week for 14.  Also, nothing lower than 30, topping out at two over 50.

May-July: low key-- less maybe 20-30 miles per week

Aug-Oct  back up to 40 miles per week.

Nov-Dec back down below 30.

What that totals-- I don't know but if I do it-- it will be an all time high. I care the most about the 14 weeks prior to Boston and again for NYC.

Quality:

I'll set a goal of # of long runs - 20+ I usually shoot for 6 to 8 prior to a marathon. This Spring-- I hope for 8-10.

Speed session 2 per month would put me at and all time high

Hill workouts-- like wise-- while we tend to hit hill on long runs-- we never do drills or practice down hill running.

In regard to weight--15 sounds like a lot- you are looking slim - % of body fat might be a better target. I hope to "bulk" up -- really "tone up" and while a few pound will likely drop-- I am shooting for a 2-3% drop from where I am now. I hover around 16 and manage to go slightly below 14 right before a marathon.  I would like to hover at 14 and be nearer to 12 by Boston this year.  

You are coming to an end of great year.  We learn tons from each long race like Chicago. I felt my left hamstring today. It made me think of you. That flat 26.2 likley took it's toll on your hammies.  Another course with a few rollers and you might have seen something different.  Vermont just might be for you.  Nothing like running around Sanford but not the constant strain on the hamstrings either. 

What ever we all set for goals for TY10, I know it is important we share them and check in with each other along the way.  I'm excited to set the results.  Like a project, listing out actionable items to tick off helps to "get things done" (great book by David Allen).  Using something to keep track of and monitor is just as important.

So-- the goals require us to break them down into specific actions that will lead us to them.

That said, I may have to change me new groups name from "<1000sub3hr26.2" to ,"<1200sub2:50"

So Tall Dave, Lawrunner, and Sailorrunner-- what are your goals for TR10!

2 goals for 2010 here...

Continue slicing time off my 5k pr. Get as close to 20:00 as I can.

Do a fall marathon and significantly improve my 3:50:26 time, working towards breaking 3:30 in fall 2011 and qualifying for Boston.

So that's what I'm gonna be working on.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

"Beep, Beep!"

Ah goals...

Well being laid up for awhile really helps you see alot clearer and manage priorities.

My initial goal for Chicago back in June was 3:25. My goal in October was finish.. then modified to finish under 5 hours. So I should be happy, but when I saw I almost made my BQ by 11 minutes I kick myself for not pushing harder. Middle miles were steady, but heart rate was really quite low throughout first 3/4 of race. Being a first one, I had no idea what I could do, especially with such a huge lack of training. My 3 month taper and 3 week training strategy will likley and hopefully not be the plan for my next one. With that said, I would like to still BQ and do it at 3:30 or less. But I also need to learn to ease into it. I really think too much speed work and long runs too quickly added to to the leg problem... that or I'm just OLD! I'd like to find a fast marathon with lots of cheering folks (it really helps) and see if I can hit that target.

My 10K goal has still been to do one in under 44 minutes... PR is 44:20. That requires speed work which I was doing and gaining on before the crash. I also want a 1:35 HM which should be doable.

My plan... I'm open for suggestions on all of this! I know running with the group pushes me to get better.

Cheers.