Circle North

Need for Speed (Read 443 times)

My salty dogs

Sorry-- won't be able to make it this week. 

"Beep, Beep!"

I will try to make 5PM on Wednesday. Should be fine.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

L Train

Nice, Tall Dave:

6/3/2009 Run

SHS Track - Speed Workout

Track-Speed 0.25 Mi 1:29 5:57 View entry
        6/3/2009 Run

Track-Speed 0.25 Mi 1:29 5:58 View entry
        6/3/2009 Run

Track-Speed 0.49 Mi 3:10 6:28 View entry
        6/3/2009 Run

Track-Speed 0.5 Mi 3:08 6:16 View entry
        6/3/2009 Run

Track-Speed 0.49 Mi 3:08 6:24 View entry
        6/3/2009 Run

Track-Speed 0.25 Mi 1:30 6:00 View entry
        6/3/2009 Run

Track-Speed 0.25 Mi 1:30 5:59 View entry
        6/3/2009 Run

Track-Speed 0.25 Mi 1:29 5:57 View entry
        6/3/2009 Run

Track-Speed 0.25 Mi 1:30 5:59 View entry
        6/3/2009 Run

Track-Speed 0.25 Mi 1:31 6:06 View entry
        6/3/2009 Run

Track-Speed 0.25 Mi 1:30 6:01 View entry
        6/3/2009 Run

Track-Speed 0.25 Mi 1:30 6:01

My salty dogs

I'm planning to break off from the group after about 3 miles Tuesday night.

I will be heading to the Sanford track for a quick "time trial" set.

2x400 with rest in between,  1x 1600, 2x400-- then back to the Y.

Join me if you feel like it.   I will likely be doing something like this until the snow covers the track.

L Train

I'll join the fun.

My salty dogs

Anyone joining should bring their heart rate device if they have one.  The mile TT should give a good baseline for the Max and target heart rate.

My salty dogs

This coming Tuesday night my set at the track will be 12x400.

(100m walk, 100 jog in between each) My laps will be at 80 seconds each or at about 90% max HR (165 bpm)

I'll be breaking off from the group about 2 miles into the run to head to the track.

My focus will be more on form- then speed during this session.

Poor form does more damage during speed workouts-- practicing proper form during a speed workouts help to maintain it during a race or long run when tired.

Tuesdays form focus will be arm swing. 

My opinion and focus for "proper" arm swing is:

Relaxed low shoulders, arms bent at a 90 degree angle, swinging from the shoulder, elbows moving to the rear, loosely closed hands, hands not crossing the mid section of the torso and not going back past the ribs., and the rate of swing 170-180 per minute. 

GregM

Count me in, Dave.  I'd like to join you for the 12x400 track workout.  I'd like to push the envelope.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

My salty dogs

I will be cutting tonight's workout down to 8x400 due to racing on Thursday.

I still plan to start with the group and peel off after about 2 miles.

My salty dogs

Tuesday's Track Session, (After 2.5 miles warm up with the whole group):

8x600 but a real focus on a slight forward lean with less push from the legs and more rear leg swing.  

Slowing things down and feeling the difference will be emphasized over split times. 

5 minutes will be spend at the beginning to practice the lean in place prior to the intervals.

5pm start at Springvale YMCA.

"Beep, Beep!"

Have you read Chi Running? Talks all about posture and forward lean. Great book and you really can feel the difference.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

My salty dogs

If anyone is interested- I am running my track workout this Saturday afternoon at the Sanford track. Likely around 2pm.

I'll have a video camera setup to catch some form shots. 

I plan to run 12x400 with 200 walk jog in between. My focus will be on a longer stride off the back leg.

L Train

Dave - I'll be away on Sat and won't be able to go in the afternoon - hoping to do 10 or so in the AM.