Circle North

Baystate 2014 (Read 23 times)

L Train

Only 6:23 until you can run again.

Okay, last chance for anybody who might want my spot for the full to speak up before I officially drop down to the half tomorrow. Going... Going...

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

GregM

Just registered for the half.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

Okay, last chance for anybody who might want my spot for the full to speak up before I officially drop down to the half tomorrow. Going... Going...

Gone.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

Cross posted from Rob:

In regards to recent log comments and Baystate handicapping, here are my thoughts entering the taper:

For the record,

I'm running pretty well at the moment, not as well as I was in January of 2013 where I never got a race off prior to breaking down but I feel like I am as good if not better than I was for Philly in 2012.  I'm not trying to sand bag anyone here, I think a BQ and a 7 minute PR is possible.  A lot will depend on the weather and how I feel on race day.  The training cycle has gone well.

This will be only my 3rd marathon attempt, so I still have a learning curve there, heck some of you do that in a month or so.

For handicapping purposes,,, I think 3:24 to 3:25 is realistic if I have a good race.  If you are going off if all the stars align; I feel great that morning; the temps are cool, I might have a stellar day, get into one of those "zones" and pop out a 3:19.  Sure, I think I have that potential or it is just if not more likely I will not feel it and be lucky to PR or break 3:30.

Alycia is capable of running 3:19 on a average day, and probably 3:15 on a good one if not better, I don't think that applies to me.  I am not convinced that the half marathon effort wont negatively impact Baystate.  She is younger than most of us so maybe not.

Mike, looks more comfortable during the longer runs than I do, so I think he will beat me.  I have done more mileage though and hope that will allow me to make up some ground on him late, but he has been consistently good over the past year and in the end will likely get me by a few minutes.

L Train is just as capable of running a sub 3:20 but also of blowing up and posting a DNF.  I hope he learned something from Wilmington and runs a good race.  The question is would he be happy with a 3:20? if not and tries to run a 3:10, may crash and burn by running on the edge.

Steve hasn't had a successful marathon yet in my judgement, but if he runs smart, I think he could also break 3:30 and maybe even bottom out closer to 3:25.

So if everything plays out as I expect and everyone runs well,

Alycia, (Egad if he does the full), Lance, Mike, Myself, Steve is my expected order of finish.  The margin of error for this is so thin in my opinion the reverse order is also possible.

If Alycia is still a little fatigued from the half and Lance goes out to hard, I like Mike's and my chances.

GregC, Greg#2, Doug & Gwen I believe are just doing the half. (No idea on Egad.)

L Train

First speaking for me personally.  I say a lot of things in my log entries.  Some is real, some is sandbagging, some is nonsense, some is the self-talk I feel I need that day either positive or negative.  Greg knows me as well as anyone here and said he is having a hard time getting a real read on where I am.

Since Boston, 2011, really, I've just been sort of a mess.  Up to that race, the previous two years had been just a series of higher highs, every race seemed like a PR.  I had PRd at the half 2 months earlier and really had visions of 3:10 at Boston in my first attempt.  Then I got goaded into dreaming even bigger with a tailwind, set on 3:05 being possible.  What a fucking joke.  I was really humbled that day, by far the worst running experience I have (still) ever had.

Philly in 2012 I never gave all of myself to.  I've never trained as well as I had in 2010.   I had 4 300 mile months leading up to Baystate in 2010, I've never come close to anything like that since.  Half ass trained for Philly, never felt great about it, almost got the BQ despite myself.  Then 2013 was sort of just a lost year, can't think of anything good about it.

This year for Maine Coast was about the most motivated I'd been in a while.  I put some decent (not spectacular) training into that.  I felt very confident after the ES20 and the training run on the course.  Really I had no doubt I would run 3:20 that day.  DNF. I didn't go out too hard, it just wasn't my day.  Then I foolishly doubled down on Vermont Cities with an even more humbling 4:10 or whatever it was.

I haven't run a good 5K in 3+ years either.

So I'm sitting on a series of massive fails with very little success thrown in there.  It's easy to be negative because well that's my recent experience.

Wilmington didn't help that cause for me - initially I was completely bullshit about the whole thing. But I know that that pace was not too hot on a normal day.  You guys all think I went out too fast - maybe if I wanted to account for the heat.  But I didn't.  I'm not that far from 1:30 HM shape right now, I know this.  This goes against what I write in my log I know.

Training for Baystate hasn't been great until September, but September was the best month I've had in years.  330+ miles, good interval workouts, hard tempos, easy pace getting faster, lots of good signs.  I'm choosing to try to ignore Wilmington. If I succeed at Baystate it won't matter.

So.  I again feel very positive about my 3:20 chances.  No, I most definitely will NOT go out too hot.  Every mile through 20 is planned to be no faster than 7:33 or so and no slower than 7:40.  If I get a 45 degree morning where I can rock my fancy arm warmers at the start I'm gonna be just fine.  And if I do that my plan will be to likely not run a spring marathon at all, though I'll train with y'all all winter.  Maybe try to get back in HM PR shape.

As for everyone else, Rob I think you have yourself down pretty well.  I think once you have a good long race (in your estimation) you're definitely capable of 3:10ish type times - but you'd be foolish to go for that now.  You  have 3:25 BQ time right?  I guess it just depends on the day but you sure seem in at least as good of shape as me.  So it worries me when you downplay because you have more miles than me and just ran a FUCKING 19:04!  Anyway.

Eric's right in that range of 3:10 being a "day has to break right" race and 3:15 being pretty pedestrian.  Just depends on the experience he wants to have.

When I saw Mike run 3:21 at MC on that day in that heat with no giving in it altered my view of him as a runner.  I view him more now like Greg C - just mentally able to will himself to whatever he set out to do.  If he wants to run 3:20, he'll run 3:20.  If he wants 2:50 it will be 2:50.  Kidding.  Sort of.  But yeah 3:20 seems like a good target.

I think Doug's doing the full.  His leg issue has me worried.  And his late race calf issues.  He gets those things sorted out 3:20 is right there. I think he was in better shape this spring though as he hasn't been able to run as many miles.

Alicia is capable of big things.  Those things are all still ahead of her.  I'll let her say what she can do if she wants to contribute here.  I know the plan is to go out at 3:20 pace and go from there, and I know that most of you think that is very conservative.  Again, it all depends on the experience each of us chooses to have, what risks we do and do not want to take, what we want to make sure we come out of a race feeling.  I will say that I know that despite the BQ and the race results and the stunning improvement, I don't think she is particularly happy with a single one of her race results to date.  And that says something.

Steve needs to have a good marathon and deserves it, and I really, really hope we get a cool day not only for me but for him.  I want to see what he can do if conditions are decent.  A 1:37 half was very possible at Wilmington and 3:30 seems like a reasonable target on a good day.

I'm not handicapping finishing order.  We're all relatively close enough that it just depends on how the day aligns.  It would seem that fitness-wise there is Eric and Alicia and then there are the rest of us.  If the Greg's were running the full I would throw them in that category as well.

I just hope we all get what we want out of it, honestly.  And for me that's 3:19 and change.

mta: also, if there is any chance that any part of this race will be run at 65 degrees or more, I am extremely unlikely to even make the trip down.  I will eat the registration cost and I have absolutely zero interest in running a slower race just to run another goddamned marathon.

GregM

Alicia is capable of big things.  ...  I will say that I know that despite the BQ and the race results and the stunning improvement, I don't think she is particularly happy with a single one of her race results to date.  ...

If this is correct, I think she's being way too tough on herself.  She should be very happy with her 3d overall (which could have been 2d) and 1:32 in the heat.  Her ES20 was itself "stunning."  While she has yet to run the marathon to her satisfaction, she must be satisfied with her slugfest at Wilmington and Hampton.  I would be.  Heck, I'll be satisfied just to hang with her at a half or full.

GregM

For the rest of you, I hope you all run the race you are capable of.  That means a 45-degree race temperature for you, Lance.  In that case, I'll have a few layers on and hope to hang with Greg C for the half.

For the record, yes I am running the full.  It's funny how we all view our own potential or current state of fitness to be far worse than others do. Wish I was lighter and had a longer training cycle, but yeah, I'll give it my all.  The BQ is definitely out of the question just to be clear.  As much terrible luck as we have getting bad weather on race day, can we please get a cool day?  I would gladly sacrifice my own success at the marathon just to see some of you reach your goals.  Hell, if there is a large group headed to Boston in 2016, that may just be the motivation I need to work hard this winter and run the marathon I need in the Spring.  I'm feeling good vibes about Baystate for Circle North.

First off,

I don't think Lance and I aren't really far off here on our assessments.  He likes to beat himself up, I do the same on occasion.  In some ways all of us do that to motivate ourselves.

Maine Coast was what? >65?  Too hot for me and I think too hot for most of you.  (Greg#2 being the exception).  ES20 was easily 30 degrees cooler.  I can't run in the heat and just about everyone had a bad day.  I agree Mike seems mentally locked in and seems to be able to better cope with shit like that, a huge advantage in a marathon over a 5K.  High Street mile, yea i beat him but heck even I can be mentally tough for under five and a half minutes.

"Every mile through 20 is planned to be no faster than 7:33 or so and no slower than 7:40"

I suppose this plays into what type of experience you want to have as you mentioned.  I get it, running 3:25 for you is like kissing your sister or Steve.  Trying to force any pace can come with either great rewards or great consequences.  Running on the edge is like that and some of my best races ever where like that.  I'm talking like low high 16's 5Ks and around 1:56 800m times where I would literally puke or dry heave as I crossed the line trying to hang on.  Doing that for a 800m or a 5k is one thing, doing that for a marathon is another for me mentally. Perhaps that is just racing experience, which i lack at the marathon level.

I have no specific planned pace for any mile going into this.  I don't have enough marathons under my belt where I think this is something I could do if I wanted to successfully.  My plan is to go out at whatever I perceive to be the right effort for how I feel that day and the conditions.  If it turns out to be 7:30s great, if it turns out to be 8:10s well, I'll go with that and hope at some point I will slide into another gear and see what I have left with 10K to go.

I had a planned pace at Sugarloaf a few years back, my first marathon.  It was also the first race in my lifetime I didn't finish.  (Besides one I tried to run on in High School with a torn Achilles tendon, while in an air-cast back when i was mentally tougher or just dumb.)

"So it worries me when you downplay because you have more miles than me and just ran a FUCKING 19:04!  "

For what it is worth, I had been targeting this race since i was injured last year.  It was my last ditch effort to hold off my son in a head to head race.  I was as mentally locked in for this as any race in years.  This was a huge confidence boost, no doubt but also never happier to lose.  A 5K and marathon are two totally different animals though, but the speed does give me the potential for 3:10s or whatever in the future.  If I can stay healthy, I like to think I still have a shot at sub 3:10 or better.

When I first joined this group, Lance was running great and a target for me.  I haven't stayed healthy long enough to run my best against many of you.  I hope I can stay healthy and Lance can break this racing funk.  Steve is due to knock this mother out.

Let's see how Mike deals with being the front runner!

What was I chasing again?

Enough from all of you prima donna runners with your fancy 5k times, BQs, and predicted sub 3:20 finishes. I am a man of the people, albeit the slow/fat people. It’s been an interesting year for me, and frankly I am more confused about my ability as a runner on September 30th than I was on May 30thdespite the additional miles and clean bill of health (knock wood).  My confidence is also pretty shot based on what seems like decent training followed by shitty race day performances.  It’s clear that I am still figuring what works for me on race day and my current methodology/approach isn’t working.   The odd thing is that I still really enjoy the process of training but have had some very miserable races this year.  Around the Lake, Father’s Day/Sebec Village/Breakaway 5k, and Wilmington were all miserable for me.  The only exception was Casey’s 5k with Greg and Doug early on.  I haven’t enjoyed the race experience but love the training, the before and after festivities of race day, etc.  Maybe I hate the heat?  I don’t know.   But I know myself and I’m a realist.  A good race for me in Lowell could mean 3:49 or 3:52.  Maybe better, but I could live with that.  I realize confidence is the key to running well and that’s been a problem for some time.  The notion that you guys think I can do better is very flattering but you aren’t paying attention.  In college I played with a guy who was a good practice player but sucked in the games.  This is probably a bad analogy but maybe that’s me until I prove otherwise.  While you can probably point to a particular run, or a point in time that indicates the possibilities of doing better, let’s be honest….it’s all horseshit until a decent race result shows itself.  I want to get better and will eventually but for now I’ll try to learn as much as I can, and keep plugging away.  And maybe I will enjoy a North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout with you fools from time to time.  19 days to go. 

Is what you fat chicks do Steve actually considered running?  Or is it more of a controlled waddle?  You in good shape, Doug confirmed he is doing the full.Just run in stealth mode next to him.

What was I chasing again?

The mental game is the whole battle. You have to believe you got this. You did all the work and should do fine. Wasting time on negative thought is not going to do you any good. You need to focus on all your great runs. The taper time will make you feel like crap but come race day you will be ready. That is the only thing you should focus on. I know you will have a great race. Now cut the shit.

North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

? Tell me more.

And BTW your race will be fine. Stick with me as I attempt to hobble my way through another one of these.

L Train

The mental game is the whole battle. You have to believe you got this. You did all the work and should do fine. Wasting time on negative thought is not going to do you any good. You need to focus on all your great runs. The taper time will make you feel like crap but come race day you will be ready. That is the only thing you should focus on. I know you will have a great race. Now cut the shit.

Is this just generally to everyone? Yourself?