Circle North

Anything You Can Do I Can Do... (Read 20 times)

L Train

...75% as well.

When this run started the thread was going to have a different title.  Alas.

L Train

87.5% as well.

Unfortunately that percentage translates to a 1:20 minute 10 miler vs. your 1:10.  So, you're going to have to run 1:01:15 to to get me my 1:10.

Good luck.

L Train

You know, by tempo pace is supposed to be like 6:58-7:10, but that's for a run of only up to 45 minutes.  I imagine I'm probably supposed to be closer to 7:20 or so on anything approaching an hour or more.

Anyway, I need to stop comparing myself to you and keep my head down more.  I'd be ecstatic with a 1:32 Hampton and I imagine you will not.

Sandbaggery

Sandbaggery

baggery is right. not sure it's of the sand variety though.

L Train

The face on the back of your head is baggery.

You know, by tempo pace is supposed to be like 6:58-7:10, but that's for a run of only up to 45 minutes.  I imagine I'm probably supposed to be closer to 7:20 or so on anything approaching an hour or more.

Anyway, I need to stop comparing myself to you and keep my head down more.  I'd be ecstatic with a 1:32 Hampton and I imagine you will not.

All of this seems wrong to me. "Supposed to be", first of all. Your fitness and speed are currently a work in progress, as are mine, so how do you propose to find out where the line is if you don't bump up against it and maybe even cross it a little now and then? Neither of us have any recent race results to base any of this on, so to some degree it's a figure it out as you go situation. What's enough but not too much? What might be a little much, but if I don't try it I won't know? Etc. I have something in mind for Friday that might be a little more than I should bite off right now, but maybe it isn't. We'll see and I'll adapt accordingly.

As for comparison, I disagree there too. As I said last night (and I was actually being sincere, believe it or not) I think we're currently closer in fitness and speed than we've been in quite a while, so why not use that? It's an excellent benchmark. We've had some good battles, and it's a lot more fun when the outcome is in question. For that matter I'd throw 3 or 4 others of us in the mix, too. I really don't know which of the group will run fastest at MWC. Maybe Egad, who knows? Of course I intend it to be me. And then Laurie or somebody will show up and make us all look silly. Ya never know.

Lastly, neither of us should be ecstatic if we run a 1:32 at Hampton. Eff that. Maybe it's realistic, too soon to say, but still, no. There's no reason not to be optimistic at this stage of the game.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

As for comparison, I disagree there too. As I said last night (and I was actually being sincere, believe it or not) I think we're currently closer in fitness and speed than we've been in quite a while, so why not use that? It's an excellent benchmark. We've had some good battles, and it's a lot more fun when the outcome is in question. For that matter I'd throw 3 or 4 others of us in the mix, too. I really don't know which of the group will run fastest at MWC. Maybe Egad, who knows? Of course I intend it to be me. And then Laurie or somebody will show up and make us all look silly. Ya never know.

Lastly, neither of us should be ecstatic if we run a 1:32 at Hampton. Eff that. Maybe it's realistic, too soon to say, but still, no. There's no reason not to be optimistic at this stage of the game.

This.

L Train

See, cuch has me scared into trying to act reasonable, and then you guys go and try to fuck everything up.

The fact that cuch scares me into acting reasonable is questionable enough, I guess.

mta: and yeah I know you were being sincere, and I agree that we aren't far apart right now.  We'll see where we get, and yes, it's fun when the outcome is in question.  I would agree that with respect to mwc for the first time in a while I have the ability to create some doubt and I admit that I'm excited about that.  I miss the feeling of real prerace butterflies.

My point that I obscured with my silliness is that I don't think I need to be hell bent on running tempos quite that hard, at least as often as I've been trying to do so.  I can get the same training benefit by backing that down to 7:10-7:15/mile, I'll bet, and my form will hold up better.  It's a lesson that I should have learned a long time ago that I was trying to enforce - winning the workout is stupid.

Doug and Eric are going to kick both your asses.

L Train

In order to do that, they will need to be behind us.

Chapter 11 - Winning the workout is stupid.

L Train

No we're getting somewhere.  I'd let you guest write that chapter but I'm pretty sure you've never won a workout.

That's ok. Maybe i can pitch in on chapter 12.

Losing the workout is stupider.

L Train

Ha.  I've already got a chapter set aside just for you.  Actually, two.  But I'm not telling which ones yet.  Remember, it's a pop-up book.