Circle North

Need for Speed (Read 443 times)

My salty dogs

Greg, Dick, and Dave S. made it through Week 5 Speed Training of 6x800. Next Wednesday 5pm at the Sanford track. 3x1600
    GregM

Thanks for the coaching, Dave. The faster the better. See you there. Greg

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

GregM

Anyone up for a speed workout today (Friday, April 24th)? I'll probably head to the SHS track around 4:30 (assuming it's available). -Greg

My salty dogs

Sorry I missed the workout! I will be out of town most pf next week but I should be able to make a 5:30 on Thursday. I've got a little ladder planned: 200-300-400-600-800-600-400-300-200 Any takers? SHS track 5:50 4/30
          L Train

Dave - That sounds fun - can't this week because my son has a baseball game, but hope to get these going again soon.

GregM

Thu, 4/30 at 5:30 sounds fine. I'll plan to be there.

My salty dogs

Wow! Speed session went great this week. Greg, T-Dave, and I suffered through 200-300-400-600-800-800-600-400-300-200. Those guy were flying! Next week: Wednesday 5:30 at Sanford HS track. 2x400, 1600 time trial, 6x400 Join us for the fun. Big grin
                GregM

Much to my regret, Dave, Wednesday won't work for me. Any chance we could do it on Thursday? If not, I'll see the group on Tuesday and do my speed work on Thursday at SHS. Anyone else?

My salty dogs

No track workout for me this week. I am feeling drained and will skip Wednesday. I'll move the planned workout to next week.

"Beep, Beep!"

I could make this Thursday Greg. I will be in Portland til 4:00 and should be able to be back in town by 5:00.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

L Train

On the run today, I was mentioning that I had asked a friend about specific speed workouts for marathon training once the base has been built.  It supports other stuff that I've read and generally believe about having 2 quality workouts a week, with the rest being easy base miles.  Anyway, here it is for anyone interested:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the best way to organize your training is to have 2 "big days" per week which are your longest runs and also include most of your quality.

So a sample schedule might look something like:

Mon - 5 easy/recovery

Tue - 7 easy w/ strides

Wed - 12 (workout #1)

Thu - 5 easy/recovery

Fri - 7 easy w/ strides or hill charges

Sat - 7 easy/recovery

Sun - 16-20 (workout #2)

So on Wednesday the 12 ish miles includes warmup/cooldown/recovery jogs and whatever workout you do.  Some good options are:

8 x 2 minutes on / 1 minute off where on is about 10k pace and off is easy pace.

3 x 8 minutes on / 3 minutes off where on is maybe 10 mile to HM pace and off is easy.

a 4-mile tempo run @ HM pace

6 x 1000m @ 10k - 15k pace / jog 200

4 x 1 mile @ 10k -15k pace / jog 400

After any of the above workouts I like to finish with something fast, like 4 x 30 seconds at ~ mile race pace with full recoveries or if I'm on the track I'll do 4 x 200m / slow jog a 200.  So you'll see in my log a lot of workouts that look something like this:

3 mile jog to the track with 2-3 strides (warmup),

6 x 1000m @ 10k+5 secs / jog 200,

800m easy jog

4 x 200 fast / slow jog 200

4 mile jog home the long way.

Tot = 12.8 miles.

For workout #2, (your long run) I like doing progression runs, fast finish runs, or MP runs.  Or you can just do a plain old easy/steady long run if your still building up the distance of your long run.  Basically the first time I run a LR distance during a training cycle, I just run it at an easy/steady pace, then the next time I might incorporate some of the other stuff.

The key is keeping the easy days really easy so you can hammer on the hard days (Wednesday and Sunday.)

L Train

8 x 400s (with one minute recoveries) today in the rain.  I clearly have no idea what I'm doing.

"Beep, Beep!"

Hey Lance,

Thanks for posting the schedule. Too much rain this week for me to hit the track so I did tempo and intervals on the treadmill. YUK! Guess there is no way to cheat...

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

My salty dogs

Darn--- sounds like it would have been fun.    How about next week on Wendesday--- anyone up for something on the track?  400s sound good to me.

My focus will be more on form- then speed during this session.

Poor form does more damage during speed workouts-- practicing proper form during a speed workouts help to maintain it during a race or long run when tired.

Tuesdays form focus will be arm swing. 

Relaxed low shoulders, arms bent at a 90 degree angle, swinging from the shoulder, elbows moving to the rear, loosely closed hands, hands not crossing the mid section of the torso and not going back past the ribs., and the rate of swing 170-180 per minute. 

GregM

Wednesday 6/3 at 5pm works for me.  Anyone else?