Circle North

for cparunner (Read 18 times)

L Train

OK, doing this publicly, so all can chime in with input and so that we can all help hold you accountable to whatever you will be doing.

I thought about trying to create a whole customized plan, but really there's a few problems with that.

First, I don't know you well enough as a runner, and you probably don't either.  Once you do a few of these, it will be easier to custom tailor something that plays to your strengths/weaknesses.  For instance, when I tried to help Steve, he had already had a few experiences and he already knew what had gone well and what hadn't.  Maybe he needed more long tempos (most of us do) because he tended to fade at the end, for instance.  Or maybe he just needed a bigger base, etc.

Also, I'm just lazy and sort of a jerk.

So, rather than make something up like I really know what the hell I'm doing, I'll give you a starting point.  This is from Pete Pfitzinfger's Advanced Marathoning, and it is sort of the starter plan on relatively low (up to 55 mpw) mileage.  It's not nearly as basic as Higdon, because I think you can do better than that.

1 Rest 7 Mi w/ 10x100m Rest 9 Mi Rest 4 Mi 12 Mi 32 Mi
    2 Rest 8 Mi w/ 10x100m Rest 10 Mi Rest 5 Mi 13 Mi 36 Mi
    3 Rest 8 Mi w/ 4 Mi 4 Mi 10 Mi Rest 4 Mi 14 Mi 40 Mi
    4 Rest 8 Mi w/ 10x100m 5 Mi 10 Mi Rest 4 Mi 15 Mi 42 Mi
    5 Rest 9 Mi w/ 4 Mi 5 Mi 10 Mi Rest 5 Mi 17 Mi 46 Mi
    6 Rest 8 Mi w/ 8x100m 5 Mi 8 Mi Rest 4 Mi 12 Mi 37 Mi
    7 Rest 10 Mi w/ 5 Mi 4 Mi 11 Mi Rest 7 Mi w/ 8x100m 18 Mi 50 Mi
    8 Rest 6 Mi w/ 6x100m 12 Mi Rest 11 Mi w/ 6Mi 5 Mi 20 Mi 54 Mi
    9 Rest 6 Mi 14 Mi 6 Mi Rest 6 Mi w/ 6x100m 15 Mi w/ 12 Mi 47 Mi
    10 Rest 8 Mi 8 Mi w/ 5x600m 5 Mi Rest 8 Mi w/ 8x100m 14 Mi 43 Mi
    11 Rest 6 Mi w/ 6x100m 12 Mi w/ 7 Mi pace Rest 12 Mi 5 Mi 20 Mi 55 Mi
    12 Rest 8 Mi w/ 5x600m 11 Mi Rest 4 Mi w/ 6x100m 8-15K race 17 Mi 50 Mi
    13 Rest 8 Mi 9 Mi w/ 5x1000m Rest 12 Mi 5 Mi 17 Mi w/14 Mi 51 Mi
    14 Rest 8 Mi w/ 5x600m 11 Mi Rest 4 Mi w/ 6x100m 8-15K race 17 Mi 50 Mi
    15 Rest 5 Mi w/ 6x100m 10 Mi w/ 4x1200m Rest 10 Mi 4 Mi 20 Mi 49 Mi
    16 Rest 8 Mi w/ 5x600m 5 Mi Rest 4 Mi w/ 6x100m 8-10K race 16 Mi 43 Mi
    17 Rest 7 Mi w/ 8x100m 8 Mi w/ 3x1600m Rest 5 Mi w/ 6x100m Rest 12 Mi 32 Mi
    18 Rest 6 Mi 7 Mi w/ 2 Mi pace Rest 5 Mi w/ 6x100m 4 Mi Goal Marathon 48.2 Mi

This is the 18 week plan.   I haven't counted but that seems close to where we are.  Just adjust the plan for what it actually is.

Feel free to adjust the days of the week to your schedule.  Just don't put hard runs or long runs close together.  The only acceptable combination of that would be a hard followed by a long, slow one.

Where it says 100m, just consider those strides.  Just pick it up for two telephone poles, 30 strides on one leg, whatever however many times it says.  Practice running tall with good form.

In week 3 where it says 8 mi with 4 mi, it means 4 miles at HM pace.  Week 9, that's 15 miles with 12 at MP.  I have the book, so I can interpret all of these if you really intend to follow it.

If you have a 4:00 marathon goal, that seems like a reasonable goal.  Your Smuttynose actually projects 3:43, but it's better to be not trust that on your first marathon.

Use this site for ideas of paces:

McMillan Calculator

On that site, you can plug in that HM and marathon target, then go to training paces and figure out paces for all of these runs.  Easy is 8:30-9:30.  Long, 8:30 to 9:50 (the only time you might be on that higher end might be the longer long runs at first).  Long tempos at 7:30-7:50, and HMP and MP are pretty easy for you to figure.

There are races on the schedule that you won't be able to easily plug in.  It's OK to move stuff around.  If it calls for a race and there are none, make it a personal workout at pace or one of us could pace you.

If you want to own it, copy this training plan into your log on "training plans".  It will show up in your log, and we all will know what you should be running each day.  Pretty easy to give you feedback that way as well.

Keys for you, IMO:

- weekly mileage

- getting most of the long runs in (but weekly mileage more important)

- hills

- long tempos (do these at the expense of intervals if you need to make a choice)

- staying healthy

- running easy runs easy enough so you can run your hard runs hard enough

- build confidence through racing

- build confidence through running with the group

- consistency - week in and week out like Greg C and Doug.

- forget counting calories.  Seriously.  You may gain weight during marathon training and I'm not joking.  But if you are consistent with the     hard runs and weekly miles, I have a feeling you will still lose.  Hell, you don't even need to lose.  Have a beer.

I may have more to add and I hope others chime in with their own thoughts/experiences.  I'll help any way I can.

-

L Train

Also, your participation in this project will require you to write an excerpt for my coffee table book, tentatively titled:

F#ck the Wall - How to Train for and Run a Sub-Average Marathon Like Me.

Just so we are clear.

Holy Moses, that is quite a plan . THANK YOU!!!

I will be owning it and yes I do expect to be held accountant. Let the sarcasm begin. If I get it, I know you accept me as one of your flock and do actually want to see me achieve this goal. I respect the opinion of everyone in the group and know that I have the advantage of your collective wisdom. and thanks for the last key to success in particular. I hate beer so I simply sub in wine :-)

on the rest days can I still do my strength training class? I do love it,but boy is it taxing on the body. Would an option be to cut back to weight training on only two or just one of the rest days?  The marathon is more important to me right now than continuing to build my upper Body strength.

You know me, I love to write. Consider it done. Do I get to swear? I never do that, might be fun.

Many thanks,

gb

Hey Gwen, I have a copy of Advanced Marathoning you're welcome to borrow, if you'd like.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

on the rest days can I still do my strength training class? I do love it,but boy is it taxing on the body. Would an option be to cut back to weight training on only two or just one of the rest days?  The marathon is more important to me right now than continuing to build my upper Body strength. 

This is not something I'm that familiar with.  I guess I'd say do it 1-2X/week and see how you feel.  If it's upper body I wouldn't think it would take much out of you for running.  But if you start to see that your running suffers as a result or you don't have enough energy or whatever, then you have your answer.

Smart people on this site refer to each person being "an experiment of one", and it's so true.

mta: and Greg, that's all you got?  Anyone else?  No one wants to be in my book?

My salty dogs

This is not something I'm that familiar with.  I guess I'd say do it 1-2X/week and see how you feel.  If it's upper body I wouldn't think it would take much out of you for running.  But if you start to see that your running suffers as a result or you don't have enough energy or whatever, then you have your answer.

Smart people on this site refer to each person being "an experiment of one", and it's so true.

mta: and Greg, that's all you got?  Anyone else?  No one wants to be in my book?

Very interested ....  to comment --   need to see the goals. What marathon is planned? What is the desired result?  Finish or PR? Doing so what a smile on face or just get to the line no matter what?

Greg: thanks for loaning me the book that goes along with the plan. I now have two bibles of running to dig into. Many many thanks!

Lance: thanks for the additional feedback. I think I am going to try to max out on two weight training workouts a week, with the long run being on one of my non weight training days. Indeed, I will know more as the plan progresses. Right now, my primary goal is the marathon so if other body muscles get some extra rest, so be it. When the marathon is over, rest the legs and refocus on weight training.

Saltydog: thank you for willingness to weigh in even though you don't know me. I appreciate that very much. About me, I started running consistently again about 3 years ago. About a year ago, with the demands of working and starting my life anew (divorce), I went from running 25 miles a week in January to 40 in March and 60 in August. Truth be told, that 60 was an anomoly, with the average being 45-50 from running 6 to 7 days a week. i enjoy running outside, and have just recently accepted that Dreadmill nation will be part of my life if I am accomplish my goal. Mind over matter.

i completed my first half marathon in Portland in July 2013 with a time of 1:56 and although it was brutally hot and hilly (Dave T can attest to that), I signed up for my second half that night, which was the smuttynose October 2013 race. I completed that flat fast course in 1:46. Finishing the second, I still had gas left to run a couple more miles and because I was running with my best friend, I did not go as fast as I could have. I was doing it for the enjoyment of the experience and knowing somewhat that it seemed to be going faster than my first half. I followed no formal training plan for those races. I just thought I could do it and hoped to be in under 2:00. I did not wear a watch to track my stats, just pure running to music and loving it. my main issue is that I have one speed, regardless of the distance essentially, which is 8:00 mile.

From there, what is left but to complete a marathon, and being surrounded by marathoners at the y, if I were ever going to tackle it, now was the time. However, I was smart enough to know the half marathon is NOTHING like a full. I couldn't just go out and do it. I needed a formal plan. I needed accountability. Greg's gal, Kim, works with me and suggested that I hook up with the running group, and of course I know Lance from working on projects for the Y with his wife. Once I connected with them, the rest of the group was welcoming of me and encouraging.

So here I am now, needing to learn to cover more distances, slow my pace, and eat more. My goal is to complete the Maine Coast Marathon in 4:00 or less without having to walk. Just finishing it will give me a smile. I want to walk away from the experience looking back on it as a milestone in my life, rather than recall it as a dreadfully long painful experience - there are some out there who completed a marathon and vowed to never do that again.

Way more than you needed, but it goes to explain the short history of my running career, and the fears and goals I have. By all means, weigh in please. Thanks, gwen

I have vowed never to do that again after each of my marathons. Good luck

My salty dogs

Gwen,

4:00 or less without having to walk. Just finishing it will give me a smile. So here I am now, needing to learn to cover more distances, slow my pace, and eat more. My goal is to complete the Maine Coast Marathon in 4:00 or less without having to walk. Just finishing it will give me a smile. I want to walk away from the experience looking back on it as a milestone in my life, rather than recall it as a dreadfully long painful experience - there are some out there who completed a marathon and vowed to never do that again.

Way more than you needed, but it goes to explain the short history of my running career, and the fears and goals I have. By all means, weigh in please. Thanks, gwen

Actually perfect.  I say remove the "just" and leave it at "finishing with a smile". Under 4hr doesn't look to be an issue.

The "plan" looks solid -- that said, the mental side is a whole other preparation.

The group know's I'm a minimalist with training -- distance wise -- prep mentally thought is where I put a lot of focus.That and form for efficiency.   Given your motivation and where you are coming from  -- the physical will be easy.

I would love to be part of your journey.  I miss the group -- and my one real regret about moving away.

Dave --  Salty to this group.

L Train

I see your training plan is there but that looks like a very sharp drop off in your taper.  

Seriously, looks like a good recipe for a first marathon to me.  Make sure you are willing to adjust as needed for sickness, injury, life, increases in fitness or whatever.

Seriously, looks like a good recipe for a first marathon to me.  Make sure you are willing to adjust as needed for sickness, injury, life, increases in fitness or whatever.

this doesn't absolve you from blame when she blows up.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

L Train

Most of the monkeys will only get small excerpts in my coffee table book.  Several chapters will be devoted to you, however.

L Train

...and, don't think you weren't in my head during my tempo(ish) run last night.  I could hear you trying to identify the date on which I will blow up.  It can't be that far in the future.

...and, don't think you weren't in my head during my tempo(ish) run last night.  I could hear you trying to identify the date on which I will blow up.  It can't be that far in the future.

i will not be making any such predictions. now what do you think that means for you?

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

L Train

It means I'm about to blow up.  Duh.  I know that game.  Please don't do that to me.

Tell me I'm about to spontaneously combust into a giant fireball at any moment, taking out innocent bystanders and gawkers.