Circle North

2012 CN Group Marathon (Read 320 times)

Home Away From Home

All, it has been a few years, Oct 2009, since we have done a group marathon. I was wondering if we where interested in trying to do one in 2012?  I have a few options below that are relatively close but open for anything.  If we want to do something more exciting or overseas whatever just let me know and I will try to research.  I am sticking with fall as the best time because of those training for boston, my etc in the spring. 

August 18th, Reykjavik-Iceland, 10,000-15,000 entries. Been to Iceland=AWESOME place and could be a blast.

This is a copy of the Rock and Roll Marathon series for review.

Providence, RI Aug. 19, 2012
    Chicago, IL Summer 2012
    Virginia Beach, VA Sept. 2, 2012
    Philadelphia, PA Sept. 16, 2012
    San Jose, CA Oct. 2012
    Denver, CO Oct. 2012
    New York 10K Oct. 2012

I'll keep searching later as well.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

My salty dogs

All, it has been a few years, Oct 2009, since we have done a group marathon. I was wondering if we where interested in trying to do one in 2012?  I have a few options below that are relatively close but open for anything.  If we want to do something more exciting or overseas whatever just let me know and I will try to research.  I am sticking with fall as the best time because of those training for boston, my etc in the spring. 

August 18th, Reykjavik-Iceland, 10,000-15,000 entries. Been to Iceland=AWESOME place and could be a blast.

Chicago, IL Summer 2012
      San Jose, CA Oct. 2012
      Denver, CO Oct. 2012
      New York 10K Oct. 2012

Denver has some promise for me -- 

Right now my plans include Feb 18 Myrtle Beach Marathon (&half)

http://www.mbmarathon.com/site3.aspx

L Train

Chicago, IL Summer 2012
        San Jose, CA Oct. 2012
        Denver, CO Oct. 2012
        New York 10K Oct. 2012

Great job Michael.  I'm gonna talk to the boss.  I'm venturing to guess that Iceland would have me away from home too long, but if that's what the gang decided then I'll find something else.  Philly, San Jose and Denver are all possibilities for me I'd say. 

"Beep, Beep!"

Caroline and Josh are running Toronto at the end of October. I heard it supposed to be a great race and fun city. http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/

The one I really would like to run though is the Marine Corp Marathon. Supposed to be one of the best run marathons around.

http://www.marinemarathon.com/

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

Sounds like fun to me, I am game to try whatever you guys want as long as I can swing it from a work and wife perspective.

The issue with something like the MCM marathon; for events like this one, that sell out / fill up that quickly, it may present a problem or for all of us to register.  Just a thought for the selection process.

What was I chasing again?

My marathon dance card is already sort of full for next year, 2 definites and 1 maybe, but throwing another one in for some good group fun is always a possibility.

Lowell is lovely in the fall. Heh. 

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Home Away From Home

I like the denver idea, MC would be a blast I see Rob point of trying to get us all registered in one race.   I don't think we need definite in the next month but narrowing down to a few might be helpful.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Home Away From Home

So after the run last night I jumped on the www, we can fly boston to iceland direct on iceland air, 400 bucks. They have air and hotel packages for 600. Not a bad idea if we seriously wanted to do it. August 18 is the race day.  website is www.marathon.is/reykjavik-marathon and shows that it is a flat course, 60% flat with 40% rolling hills but the steepest hill is only 26 meters or so.  It is mostly single loop through the city except end has a little redo of the beginning.  

Check it out and lets see how we all feel. 

MM#5768

So after the run last night I jumped on the www, we can fly boston to iceland direct on iceland air, 400 bucks. They have air and hotel packages for 600. Not a bad idea if we seriously wanted to do it. August 18 is the race day.  website is www.marathon.is/reykjavik-marathon and shows that it is a flat course, 60% flat with 40% rolling hills but the steepest hill is only 26 meters or so.  It is mostly single loop through the city except end has a little redo of the beginning.  

Check it out and lets see how we all feel. 

i brought this up last night at home....i received a majah eye roll, a WHAT?! and swattin flys hand motions with an I DON"T THINK SO...NO WAY IN HELL!!!!

so there's a chance.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

L Train

Just for the record, I won't be in for Iceland, mostly because it's still summer for the kids, that may be the week we are down the Cape, etc. etc.

BUT

It sound really cool and you all should do this if you want to.   Only so many chances to get cool life experiences like that, unlike going to Lowell, MA or Cincinnati or what have you. 

Home Away From Home

L-train, this is still a group decision and who knows, there are plenty of other options. I would rather run with the group no matter where we go as long as we can all make it. 

MM#5768

My salty dogs

Can't believe the time has past .. but I had considered running Chicago again in 2012 and that is next fall already.  

I know Jaime would likely jump on that option.  Just saying..... 

While somewhere different would be great....  I had vowed to really attack that course again.  

GregM

How 'bout the Key West Half?  Or Phoenix (where it's WARM!)  Better yet, a flat island in the Carribean (???)

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

Home Away From Home

How 'bout the Key West Half?  Or Phoenix (where it's WARM!)  Better yet, a flat island in the Carribean (???)

I think the KW half would be about 1/2 a marathin short, just my opinin.  Pheonix is cool if it is not to WARM. Some of us prefer the slightly cooler temps, do you know the avg temp that time of year?  Carribean island is AWESOME idea. Any that you know of in particular for the fall?

MM#5768

GregM

How about Berlin or London?  If that's too far, I'm sure we can find something closer that works.  I think Phoenix in January is a cool 60-70 degrees.  I say cool because the air is so dry. 

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.