Circle North

For Doug Beaulieu (Read 435 times)

L Train

I'm getting more and more confident about your chances.

I'm here to say that Doug gave me good info today, and I picked up a pair of Brooks PureConnects at Marshalls for $35. They had quite a few pairs left, FYI.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

Doug did his GT write up, so things I remember about Doug:

- when he sent the text at mile 20, we were still in transit.  I received the text but was driving.  I gave the phone to Steve and had to think carefully about what to text back.  Of course I was sympathetic, and a few sentences like that came to mind.  But I decided that wouldn't be productive at this point and tried to keep it short and simple and assholish for Mr. ultrabrain.

- when he came in at 45 he looked and sounded fantastic, which made us very happy.  He was not complaining at all and seemed very eager to go for more.

- he was very well prepared.  He had a skateboard to carry stuff, his bins, ski poles, everything in ziplocs and in order in his bin (the other two seemed less organized).  He had even taped a checklist on his bin of things to remember every loop (health, nutrition, clothing, batteries, etc.) Not only do I believe that helped him, but it helped us tremendously vs. the open ended question "what do you need?"

- I may have been asleep when he came in at 60, I don't remember.  But I think I remember waking and listening for his voice and thinking he still seemed happy and coherent.  It must have been a big boost to pick up company at that point because it must have been around 11:00PM.

- On my way out with Greg at 1:45 AM we saw Doug and Mike and he still looked really great.  And Greg was focused on the gap, which Doug seemed to be either maintaining or closing at that point.

- One regret of our plan is that Doug was alone in what must have been the toughest part of the race (I'm not sure how we really could have fixed that) from miles 75-90.   Cuch and I saw him coming out of the tunnel (he was on his way out).  I was worried at that point because I believed that he should have caught cuch and I on the way out, not cross this way.  So he had definitely slowed.  When he came up on us, he shined his REALLY BRIGHT light right in my eyes and said "Bright light!" like in Gremlins.  So he still had his spirits.  He was moving pretty gingerly and seemed a little out of it.  I wanted to both stay with cuch and go with him.  But I knew he had only a short way to get help at the aid station, so I elected to stay with cuch.  He must have felt very alone at that point because it must have been like 4:30AM.

- When I was with Greg at mile 94 or so we saw Doug coming in at what must have been 85ish.  He was still moving, but slowly.  He was in OK spirits though and I think his confidence was building that this was going to happen.  He was slow in speaking though and limping pretty badly.  Greg and I had to go out to the turnaround (maybe 1/4 mile and back) so we actually caught him again. I asked if he could hang with us but he could not.  He refused my help and made me stay with Greg.  I think I may have tried to get him something at the aid station, at least that was my intent.  But I can't remember now.

-  When he came in at 90, he just looked grim and resigned, and the thing I remember most is that his color was really pale.  He was really slow in speaking and could not even take the energy to go through his list.  There was no doubt he was going to keep going though.  We went through the list and got him stuff anyway.  I would have been worried about sending him out alone, but thankfully Mike was ready to go with him.  Off they went.

- Pam was worried all night.  There were numerous texts (my update system was good but there were flaws, and she became very uncomfortable with the gap in communication between 7AM and 9AM).  She ended up coming, which was a surprise to everyone.  She walked right past my vehicle, and then I flagged her down.  She went to get her car to park next to me.  Rather than hanging with me though, she went right to the start finish and was very fidgety.  I went over there, and at that point I decided I was going to walk out to mile 98 1/2 or whatever and meet them.  I told her this to ease her mind, and she unexpectedly started walking with me.  I asked was she sure, wouldn't it be better to surprise him at the finish?  She debated this briefly, but I think there was just no way that she couldn't go.  She really needed to see him.  We got there and he was happy and she seemed relieved.  She also seemed very happy that the conversation turned to how this was a great experience for Doug that he could apply for his next 100 miler.

- the finish was very anticlimactic.  Very few people, just a few claps, and here's your spike.  Congratulations, now leave.  He came back, had a hard time sitting and we had to take all his stuff off.  He was still really really white.  But happy.  What an accomplishment.    

L Train

3:44AM!

I just wanted to login first today.

L Train

What the hell?  Two days off?  In one week?  Within a 3 day span?  After doing the walk of shame?

L Train

I laughed.

beaulieume 26.9 mi 3:35:20
                    L Train 26.6 mi 3:47:59

I believe that's a response, right there. Heh.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

L Train

Ha.  But he's Doug and I'm me.

L Train

Ha, great stuff.

L Train

Here.

Or here.

Probably not here.

Thanks. I think all 3 will be useful.

I do think it is less of a fueling issue and more fatigue related.

L Train

Not for nothing but it seems like you like the lower drop shoes because they feel good.  But I know when I wear those it works my calves like crazy.  We have different running forms (or lack thereof) but just a thought.