Circle North

Boston 2012 (Read 318 times)

L Train

And Carol Legere - 4:12

"Beep, Beep!"

What about Becky?

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

L Train

3 posts ago.  Heatstroke much there old man? Wink

"Beep, Beep!"

Where am I?

Life's journey is not to arrive safely to the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

L Train

COME ON WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE?  IT'S 6:45 ON TUESDAY AND NO RACE REPORTS? DO I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING AROUND HERE?

L Train

will comment later. 

Pfffft.

L Train

I'm going to just start making up reports.

My salty dogs

will comment later. 

Pfffft.

My race report --- DNS  -- first time in 9 years and it killed me. Of course had I run, it might have killed me too.

I may sign up for next years --- just in case. 

Home Away From Home

Sorry I missed som much yesterday, I was on a plane flying to Portland, OR and missed all the play by plays though I just read them, thanks L.  Congrads to all for suffering through the heat and getting it done, good to see some of you are still mortals and slow in the heat to times comparable to me when I got my ass handd to me by the heat, I thought for awhile you where all GODS who could run sub 8's no matter how hot it was.  You all kicked  butt hope the recoveries are going well, see you next tuesday at the Y.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

GregM

And Carol Legere - 4:12

At age 60 no less.  Wow!

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

GregM

COME ON WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE?  IT'S 6:45 ON TUESDAY AND NO RACE REPORTS? DO I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING AROUND HERE?

Let's face it, Lance, no one can compete with your reports anyway.  I'm just getting online after yesterday.  Thanks for the play by play. 

I had no idea the heat would slow me as much in the second half.  The first 9 miles felt really good.  Very comfortable start.  No headphones because my iPod shuffle failed a while back (excess moisture perhaps).  Although I purchased another one on Saturday, I could not get it set up although I tried up to the point of race-day morning.  Actually, it may have been a blessing in disguise.  It was nice to run with just the crowd and other runners and the beautiful weather and scenery.  Well, until the second half, that is. 

Or should I say mile 10.  My plan was to keep pace (7:10-15) through mile 15, but I noticed my pace had slowed at miles 10 and 11.  I did speed up around Wellsley (no surprise) and there's a nice downhill just after that which allowed me to get back on pace for miles 12 and 13.  I just couldn't hold it for miles 14 and 15.  Mile 16 was a huge disappointment.  That should have been the fastest mile up to that point, and it was well off my initial pace.  (I was hoping for sub-7 at miles 16 and 19, but these were way off that.) 

I have not yet connected my Garmin, but when I do, you'll see all the gory details.  Here's a preview from my Garmin history:

mile  pace

10     7:21

11     7:28

12     7:12

13     7:16

14     7:32

15     7:48

16     7:27

17     8:50

18     9:06

19     8:54

Staying motivated was a challenge when I realized my goal of negative splits or even a balanced first and second half was long gone.  Proper water intake was another:  I knew I needed more than usual, but I did not want to get nauseous or bloated, and that nearly happened a couple times. 

By mile 20 I started dousing my head and shoulders with all the water I could get.  I was getting overheated, and this was becoming more of an issue than thirst or exhaustion.  Legs never felt tested.  This was the first marathon where I have not felt my quads or calves.  I should say, though, that I might have had a problem with this on Boylston. 

Turning at Hereford and coming up the slight incline to Boylston was a rush.  I just wanted to finish so bad, the crowd was roaring, and I seemed to get a second wind.  "Short stride, good form," I told myself as I accelerated up the hill, past runners, hoping to finish sub 3:30.  Then the turn onto Boylston sent me sprinting for a moment, and that's when I backed off for fear that I'd pull a hammy or cause my calves to cramp which has happened in the past.

I looked at my Garmin and could not  believe that my lap pace was in the 6:30 range.  It kept falling to about 5:45.  My Garmin registered mile 26 more than a quarter mile early, and I forgot to turn it off for a while after the finish, so I'll have to reconstruct the last split.  Currently, my Garmin history shows a lap 27 average pace of 7:02, so I know my trip down Boylston was fast.  It was fun also.  Like I say, I felt a second wind, the crowd was roaring, and the finish line was oh so welcome!

More tonight at the group run.  Will be great to hear all the stories of yesterday's slog.  Like Cremer and Gadbois's simultaneous finish.  Hope to see you all tonight for a nice recovery run.  For those of you who ran, I suspect that, like me, your legs are not sore because the heat prevented us from stressing our legs the way we ordinarily would.  Like Salty said in his other post (CN at the races, I think), this was like a training run which might make Sugarloaf a sound backup plan.  Any takers?

L Train

Nice report Greg.  You still ran a heck of a race, and even though your pace faded, everyone's did, yours by less than many. 

And a few folks here doing SL - Doug, Rob.  Noelle and her husband and friends are as well I think and I think Bob is doing the 15K or whatever it is. 

"Beep, Beep!"

Hey all... Doing fine today... Quads a little stiff. Had to drive to Augusta this AM to receive award from Governor for our school district. Now taking my girls out shopping. Won't make to the run tonight. See you all next week. TD

GregM

Congrats on the award, Dave.  Also, nice job yesterday.  I suspect your heat-adjusted time was about where you would have expected it.  Michelle, too.

"Beep, Beep!"

I had figured about 30+ minutes to unheated adjusted time. Thanks

I just wrote up log entry on Race or should I say experience for those who care.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/2f92a02e158145a59309f6611512a383/calendar