Circle North

Ironman Cozemal (Read 421 times)

My salty dogs

Ironman Cozemal, Mexico

Race Date: 11/27/2011

Moved this from FY11 Goals:

Airline Tickets booked --- hotel arranged --- time to get serious!!!!!!!!!

Training Notes:

Swim compared to 2009 

Bike compared to 2009

11/22  Complete change of plans -- take a 3 week taper and gain back the 7 pounds lost (they were really good Belgium beers!!)

Heck -- anyone can do it under ideal conditions.

After three weeks of feeling sick -- this morning I have no sore throat -- leave for mexico tomorrow.  3.5 miles logged in three weeks.  Well at least I'm rested and will float better.  "always look on the bright side of life".   No wetsuit allowed had me worried but now I'm good.

11-5 Glad to have my long bike rides behind me. Completed the plan and happy with what I've done.  Now only 5 more key workouts to get in with 3 week to  the race. It will be tough as I leave town tomorrow, have one day here and then fly out again Saturday.

Left -- 18 mile run, 75 & 90 swims, 30/5 brick, .25/B15/R3 mini try workout.

11-4  Well hours swim done. Amaszing how good I feel after only 3 swims. Imagine if I actually trained .. right like that would ever happen. 

Just found out wet suits will not be allowed --- I'm adding 10 more minutes on to my goal time.  The loss of a floatation device has me a bit nervous. Oh well --"anybody can do it under ideal conditions"!!! 

80 ride up next then I'm off for 2 weeks of travel (one in europe -- not gaining weight will be tough)

11-1:  All things looking good only a few more big workouts.   Weight isn't going down and I might just have to give in-- better to be healthy --besides the extra weight isn't really going to slow me as it would for a PR attempt on the marathon.

Two weeks of travel coming up. Avoiding food and drink will be tough.

Swim tonight was easy -- 45 min wasn't an issue without any prep.

10/16 :Lots of travel is making consistency hard but key workouts are falling into place.  Hope to see 3 weeks of no travel to allow for a good focus.

Nutrition on 100 mile ride went well -- mostly Perpetuem and Heed --  plus P-solids, 2 gels, and one wafer. Should have had more at about 75 miles.  Big drop at 86 miles.  Might have finished stronger if I had added some more. Lost mental focus at 93 on big climb.

Ironman Training Plan 

1. Drop 10lbs by Ironman:

9/5 = 152  (baseline)

9/11=147(after 4 days of stomach bug)

9/18 = 147.8 Finally!!!

9/25 = 145.6

10/1 = 147.6  minor setback -- but I enjoyed myself!! Still better than falling back to 150.

10/9 = 147.4

10/15 = 147.6

10/23 =146

10/30=148 (not good!!)

11/7

11/14

11/21- 153 oh shit!!!

2. Rides before Ironman:

25 - DONE 8/20

40 - DONE  9/5

50 - DONE (56) 9/24

60 - DONE 10/8

80 - DONE 22/5

100 - DONE 10/15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Swims  before Ironman:  Hmm -- might want to start swimming soon...10/8

30 min - DONE 10/16

45min - DONE 11/1

60 min - DONE 11/4

75 min  (planned for Friday 11/11)

90 min (planned for Sunday 11/20)

4. Runs before Ironman

12 - DONE 9/25

15 -DONE 9/22

18  (Planned for 11/10)  

20 - DONE 10/30

5. Bricks before Ironman

B30-R5  (Planned for  11/22)

B30-R8 - DONE 10/29

6. Races before Ironman

R2-B9.5-R2 -  sweet!! 0:56 min  5 overall, 1st AG  

S.25-B15-R3  (Planned for 11/?)

7. Nutrition Focus:

Trying all Hammer products - mostly liquid drink mixes on bike.

No solids 1hr from finish on bike

No drink mix 1/2 hour from finish on bike

8. Goal to: Finish Ironman sub 13hrs!!!!!!!!!!!

Sub 1:35 swim

10 MIN Trans

Sub 6:30 bike

10 MIN Trans

Sub 4:00 runShocked

-------------------------------------

Home Away From Home

Salty-

Looks like you are doing well and getting a lot of what you wanted to get done done, hang in there, only a few more weeks and you will once again be an IRONMAN. 

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

GregM

Salty-

Looks like you are doing well and getting a lot of what you wanted to get done done, hang in there, only a few more weeks and you will once again be an IRONMAN. 

Once an IRONMAN, always an IRONMAN.  Good luck Salty as you pursue the biggest PR accomplishment there is.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

the biggest PR accomplishment there is.

prove it.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

GregM

prove it.

I'm not falling for that.  Yet ...

L Train

Salty - I like reading about your progress and what you are doing.  I don't understand it all, but it seems like you are making progress.  Hope you have a great trip, ad don't get fat! Wink

My salty dogs

Salty - I like reading about your progress and what you are doing.  I don't understand it all, but it seems like you are making progress.  Hope you have a great trip, ad don't get fat! Wink

Logged 3.5 miles running in the last two weeks (15 days).

Gained 7 pounds and I'm still fighting being sick. 

Flying back from London today.  I've been in the UK, Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany. I've had a few really late nights -- and yes a several reallllllly good Belgium beers.  

That said -- i'm feeling really good about the Ironman -- no speed records but very positive about getting through it with a finishing smile.

Heck-- even the extra weight should actually help -- no wetsuit allowed so I'll float better plus I certainly have cargo loaded enough.

Wish I was there for the 50 miler.  Can't imagine doing that right now.  

Wish I was there for the 50 miler.  Can't imagine doing that right now.  

i find this very intrestin...it seems that you ah very confident in doin an ironman...with little trainin it seems, yet the thought of a 50 milah is unimaginable. i found this very intrestin cause (i realise i have nevah done an ironman) aftah the 50 i thought jesus, that ironman is gonna be a piece of cake to "just finish". i am aware this has to just be a false perception of mine but still...ya i'm sure i have a sad awaitnin.

My salty dogs

i find this very intrestin...it seems that you ah very confident in doin an ironman...with little trainin it seems, yet the thought of a 50 milah is unimaginable. i found this very intrestin cause (i realise i have nevah done an ironman) aftah the 50 i thought jesus, that ironman is gonna be a piece of cake to "just finish". i am aware this has to just be a false perception of mine but still...ya i'm sure i have a sad awaitnin.

I do actually think they are close to the same.  That said, since I've experienced the Ironman -- I know at least eventually I can finish. My first was a different story and very emotional as I neared the finish.

Non-stop run/walking for 50 miles seems possible but there is the unknown factor of how mentally I would hold up.

The most I have to walk during the Ironman is 26 miles and likely only 10-13. I know that I would run 30 miles beyond that it might be a walk - so 20 miles of walking worries me. At least I wouldn't have to worry about someone kicking me in the face -- 5 minutes into a 14 hours ordeal. 

I see a 50K in my near future and a 50 miler on the trail sometime next year.  Flying in for the one you did sounds like fun.

I still can't imagine completing an IM, nor do I ever want to. More power to ya. Good luck Dave!!!

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

GregM

Ironman Cozemal, Mexico

Race Date: 11/27/2011

Moved this from FY11 Goals:

Airline Tickets booked --- hotel arranged --- time to get serious!!!!!!!!!

Goal to: Finish Ironman sub 13hrs!!!!!!!!!!!

Sub 1:35 swim

10 MIN Trans

Sub 6:30 bike

10 MIN Trans

Sub 4:00 runShocked

-------------------------------------

Go get it, Dave!  Forgot this is so close.

As Hank Williams Jr., would say, "Are you ready for some Cozemal?!!!"

i wish you the best salty!!! i will definately be thinkin of you and sendin vibes of awesomeness your way.

My salty dogs

i wish you the best salty!!! i will definately be thinkin of you and sendin vibes of awesomeness your way.

Thanks.

BIke is checked in.  Ready to get started.  Now training for three weeks and put the pounds back on but..

I'm healthy.  Last time I was  sick with allergies for three days prior. 

Can't wait to check in afterwards.

L Train

Good luck Salty!

GregM

Ditto, Salty.  Sub-13 is just ahead.  You've got it in you.  Bring it home!