Circle North

50-Milers (Read 306 times)

Home Away From Home

I found a nice 50 miler on Oct 25 over in PA I might be able to make while down at work.  We will have to see maybe I'll go crazy like you guys and gals and lightly jog it and just see how it goes without much "training"

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

I found a nice 50 miler on Oct 25 over in PA I might be able to make while down at work.  We will have to see maybe I'll go crazy like you guys and gals and lightly jog it and just see how it goes without much "training"

i think u should sailah...plenty of time to train...it's only 11 days before stone cat. u already have the foundation and shell built from tri trainin...all you need is the finishin touches to build ankle and knee strenghth and flexibility. you will have us till you leave to keep you motivated...haha!

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

Home Away From Home

Time limit is 12 hours, 12:00 pace is 10 hours cumulative so if I can keep 10-11 min miles with 5-10 minute rests at the tents I can keep it under 12.  I have NO idea what to shoot for as a pace but guess I can always wing it, worst case, I don't finish.  Even if I drop I am sure I will be over 26.2 which means it will be the furtherest I have ever run no matter how far it is. 

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

My salty dogs

Time limit is 12 hours, 12:00 pace is 10 hours cumulative so if I can keep 10-11 min miles with 5-10 minute rests at the tents I can keep it under 12.  I have NO idea what to shoot for as a pace but guess I can always wing it, worst case, I don't finish.  Even if I drop I am sure I will be over 26.2 which means it will be the furtherest I have ever run no matter how far it is. 

Sounds like fun. - I trying to find a 50k as a 50 milers just seems a bit beyond my limits at the moment.
          GregM

I'd say you 50-milers are more courageous (or some other adjective) than Salty and I and the rest of us who would prefer to get a 50k in first.  Good luck!

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

Home Away From Home

Any of you done any research yet on hydration packs or hand held bottles. I have a buddy who runs ultra that uses both, pack for water 70oz. and a hand carrier bottle for electrolytes.  Due to the mileage he says you can't wait for the aid stops for food and water on these runs.  My stops if I do it are between 2.5 and 6.5 miles a part. 6.5  at 10 miles is a long way, he has a point. I was thinking of heading to RA or KTP to at least look at hydration packs so I can start practiing with one. 

MM#5768

L Train

I haven't looked into this yet, but I know I should.  I've read much the same stuff and it would be good to practice. 

And as for being courageous, I'm pretty sure I'd use another adjective like moronic.

Here are the dates of the training runs for StoneCat.

Unfortunately the only one of these I can make is Oct 2nd. That is the week after Clarence Demar so if that doesn't work out. I may head down the following weekend (on oct 8th or 9th) and try to follow some of the course on my own.

There will be four training runs on the course:

September 18    8 AM    (Sunday)

September 24    8 AM    (Saturday)

October       2     8 AM     (Sunday)

October     15     8 AM     (Saturday)

All runs begin at Doyon School, and will run one loop of the course (12.5 miles).

10/2 seems to be the tentative consensus date.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

My salty dogs

Any of you done any research yet on hydration packs or hand held bottles. I have a buddy who runs ultra that uses both, pack for water 70oz. and a hand carrier bottle for electrolytes.  Due to the mileage he says you can't wait for the aid stops for food and water on these runs.  My stops if I do it are between 2.5 and 6.5 miles a part. 6.5  at 10 miles is a long way, he has a point. I was thinking of heading to RA or KTP to at least look at hydration packs so I can start practiing with one. 

I had to get one for running out here - 63+ days over 100(but you know what they say) Anyways- I have a 50oz- fits nicely on the back while running. However- you really want one that has a support belt or chest strap. Shoulder movement is annoying. I also Iike to wear a shirt with wider shoulders than a singlet. In an ultra- I would likely wear the camelback and a waste (fuel) belt. As the belt would hold specialty mixtures and the CB just water.

Home Away From Home

MM#5768

L Train

"In ultra-distance running perseverance is the big thing. It's survival. You can't let yourself think about quitting. Just keep moving forward."

Home Away From Home

"In ultra-distance running perseverance is the big thing. It's survival. You can't let yourself think about quitting. Just keep moving forward."

That was a damn good line.

MM#5768

Home Away From Home

Check out this link for you 50-milers, some CRAZY terrain in these ultras.

This is running

MM#5768