Diabetic Runners

need help with labs (Read 693 times)

so my labs come back early - FBS 99 Fasting Insulin - less than 2 Confused Obviously not IR - I'm going tomorrow to have labs drawn for some kind of antibodies, as now my MD says there is a possibility of autoimmune induced T1. My A1C was 5.7. Any ideas what is going on? I don't understand how I can still have normal post meal blood sugar levels and have a fasting insulin level that low. It's going to take a week for the antibody screen to come back. I was told not to worry unless my blood sugar hit 200 or more Sad

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

I do not understand how he can think you are T1 with a fasting BS of 99, and an A1c of 5.7, both normal, and I believe that you said you were prediabetic, so I assume you are not on any Meds for diabetes.
      Age is not an illusion
        My MD said that the blood sugar % increase to running outside was too high to be "normal". Since I have so much T2 in my family, when my labs came back FBS123 with A1C 6.3, my GP told me that was the direction I was heading. I lost 20 lbs and started exercising and have been pretty much diet/exercise controlled x 2 years. What the endo is saying is that for a FBS of 99 a fasting insulin of less than 2 indicates lack of insulin. If this was all related to IR, I would have had higher than normal fasting insulin levels. It doesn't mean that I am T1 now, but if the antibodies come back +, then I will be at risk to developing T1 over the next 1 - 3 years. So confusing - I was not even thinking along those lines. I guess I just keep doing what I have been doing and be grateful for the fact that if I do become T1, I will know about it pretty quickly.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Iza

But what if you're fasting insulin level is lower now because through exercise you have improved your insulin sensitivity and you're less insulin resistant? But then, I've just spent some time looking at the testing of insulin levels for fasting numbers, and since your glucose level is slightly elevated, it seems to support the idea that if the insulin level is low, then there has been beta cell burnout.
            Chenille, I am in a similar situation where my MD thinks I may be autoimmune T1. (My sister was DXed with lupis [also autoimmune] at the same age I was DXed with diabetes.) He was suspicious when my initial bood test came back with my hemoglobin showing a positive tendancy, which indicated to him possible T1. At this point I am still producing some insulin and I am responding well to strict diet and exercise. But my MD is keeping a close eye on my A1Cs as he suspects my ability to produce insulin will decline with time, that beta cell burnout is inevitable. John ps Welcome to our newest members, Chenille and ScratchType1. It is great to see interest continue! Smile I missed one more Newbie, greetings to jett1214 as well. Happy Holidays to everyone! J

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Thanks to all for your replies. I finally called the MD office to find out about the antibody tests. The sub nurse left a message saying that the results were "normal". No other follow up. While I am glad that I ddn't test + for the antibodies. I still don't have any answers. So does this mean I am "cured" and that I am no longer insulin resistant? - or did the lab maybe screw up and give a false low reading in the insulin levels. I continue to have 50 -60% jumps in my bs levels post running outdoors, but they do drop down pretty quickly. What all this means, I just don't know - I'm really trying to stave off future problems. Two years ago, I was told by another endo that once you have documented blood sugar resistance/pre-diabetes - that it never goes away - you just control it with your diet and exercise for as long as you can. Thanks for listening - any insights appreciated!

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Update - I just found some info that low dose estrogen can decrease IR, while higher levels of estrogen supplements (BCP?) will increase IR. I have been on low dose HRT x 3 months now - I wonder if that contributed to the low fasting insulin level?

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group