Diabetic Runners

new member from ohio (Read 219 times)

bronxbomberJW

I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  I am only 27 years old and completely out of shape weighing in at 280 after weighing over 300 pounds.  I am extremely interested in running and want to strongly pursue it but know absolutely nothing about it or how it will affect my blood sugar.  Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.  I am completely new to this site so any advice would be greatly accepted and appreciated

The voice of mile 18

howdy. type 2 here on oral meds. start slow. run with walk breaks at first maybe 1:1 ratio then gradually decrease the walk breaks duration eventually it'll all be running. get a good pair of running shoes. they help a lot. lubricate all sensitive parts and run at a pace you can holda conversation at if youcan't talk you're going too fast. this builds endurance and you get the endurance then you worry about the speed.  find training partners or running clubs they'll make it more fun. and always bring extra carbs and your meter and cellphone or at least medical id brracelt good luck and have fun

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Hey JW, welcome!  I was diagnosed at 27 with type 1 (now 43 but whose counting).  The big "D" diagnosis kinda sends you reeling, doesn't it?  But it can be the beginning of a healthier life, and it sounds like that's just where you're headed.  

Every bit of Joe's advice was great!  I'd suggest you get going first on a walking program if you're not already, then google the "Couch to 5K" program if you find yourself in need of a little structure.  It's a great way to get started running (with run/walk intervals like Joe mentioned) while minimizing the risk of injury and increasing your chances of being a runner for life.  Maybe find a local 5K race that will be towards the end of that program and sign up for it with the goal of completing it. 

I don't know your individual situation with meds, etc.  If you are on insulin, there is a bit of a balancing act to be figured out.  If on fast acting insulin, work with your doctor or educator to figure out how much to either cut back your dose, or to time your exercise to avoid it's peak.  Test before and after you workout (and perhaps during) to get an idea of how your blood sugar is reacting.  As Joe said, ALWAYS make sure you have quick access to some fast acting carbs (glucose tabs, gels, etc.).  Everyone is different, and getting to know your body is the only way. 

But I think the best advice would be to go slow, enjoy the journey, and appreciate running for the pure joy of it.

Progress Trumps Pefection
        bronxbomberJW

i appreciate all the adive and will definitely use it.  I went for a walk/run this morning and came to the decision that i am out of shape  lol but hopefully i can change that.  i am on oral meds right now but also take pills for my blood pressure and cholestoral so ill take it slow and am looking forward to being able to compete and finish a 5k event..thanks for the advice