Diabetic Runners

Saturday's run...Ugh! (Read 314 times)

Runner Girl

I was so looking forward to a good 11 mile run on Saturday but the running goddesses had a different plan. First, I overslept. I had wanted to be on the road by 8 AM, but didn't make it out the door umtil 10:30 AM. I am very slow and know the earlier I start the cooler it will be. Needless to say by 10:30 it had gotten a little muggy and warm outside, at least by Michigan standards. So, bullet by bullet - here's what happened: 9 AM: FBS 97. Regular breakfast (2 slices whole grain 45 calorie per slice bread topped with 1 tablespoon of Krema all natural peanut butter and 1 can of diet mountain dew) 10:30: Out the door with Brian at my side. Garmin Forerunner 301 and iPod securely in place! Smile Brian carried a backpack with extra water, some gatorade and banana chips. 5 miles later: Beginning to slow down. We stopped and took a little rest. Brian gave me a handful of banana chips. I was hydrating well. A few minutes later I was jamming to some ZZTop (classic rock girl here !) and almost dancing down the road. Brian ran up beside me and laughed wondering aloud how long that sugar high was going to last. 7 miles later: Starting to slow down a little - Brian gave me another handfull of banana chips. 8 mile mark: I was seriously bonking. So much so that Brian made me sit down and rest. He said the color had drained from my face - I felt like I was going to pass out. I rested for a few minutes then got up and we continued. I did decide, though, that I was going to walk the rest of the way. I just couldn't run. I do a walk/run combination anyway, so I was cool with walking. 9 miles into it: I bonked. I couldn't get to the grass fast enough. Later Brian said that my face had drained of color again and my eyes rolled back for a couple of seconds. I remember feeling very disoriented and woozy, but I never passed out. We were only a mile from home so he offered to go get the truck and come back for me. I said no, that we would could the milage today to 10 instead of 11 and I would walk home. He was glad because he said he really didn't want to leave me, but wanted to get me home as soon as possible. 10 miles later: We walked up my drive way. During the last mile we talked about the marathon and that the milage was going to do nothing but increase from here - and whether or not I really should or wanted to do it. Of course, after such a bad run is NOT the time to discuss whether or not you want to do a marathon! But, honestly, it was all I could think about. At home: I immediately went to the den and took off my heart rate monitor, shoes, socks, Garmin and hat. I sat down and Brian brought me some water, a cup of sugar free yogurt and my glucose monitor. I took my BS and it was either 114 or 117 (I can't remember now), but I do remember being surprised that it wasn't higher or too low. I began to feel better after the yogurt and water - and of course resting in the air conditioning. However, I have to be honest and say the heat was not that bad - I've run in hotter weather. But the muggyness was still a factor. Lessons learned: The banana chips were NOT a good idea. That was the first time I tried them and I think they were a major reason for my problems. I had tried 1/2 a banana in my last half marathon and that really helped, but I was looking for something that was more portable and easier to consume. So, I bought these at the grocery on Friday. Ingredients: banana chips, coconut oil and SUGAR. Yikes! Of course, I read the ingredients before I bought them but I honestly thought there counldn't be enough in there to spase me out like that. I was wrong. I spent Sunday and Monday seriously contemplating the marathon. All the pros and cons. Brian was being as supportive as possible in either direction I discussed. Y'all know he is a triathlete and just finished his first Half Ironman. He plans on completing the Wisconsin Ironman in September 2007. So, he is my inspiration as well as my reasonability factor. I can bounce things off of him and he knows exactly what I am talking about - it was a good conversation. So, Monday rolls around and I have 3 miles to do after work. It's pouring down rain. I honestly hadn't decided what to do even as I was driving home. I talked to Brian on the phone on the way home. He told me that he was about to leave to go do his 6 miles. It was still raining cats and dogs. (where DID that saying come from!) He didn't ask me if I was going to run and I didn't commit. I get home and it's still raining - you know the kind - that slow summer rain with no thunder or storms - just a really good soaker. So...I go inside and out of habit started to get ready for my run. Was it habit or a subconcious decision? hummm. As I was going through the motions, I decided that I was going to do my run - in the rain. On go the shoes, socks, shorts, sports bra, heart rate monitor, shirt, scrunchie in my hair, my 'Life Is Good" hat, Garmin, iPod and waterbelt. Out the door I go. Have I told y'all it's raining !? "What the heck, a little rain won't hurt" I tell myself. 1 mile later I'm off the dirt roads and onto the pavement. I felt great. I used this time to really feel my run. To really be still in my mind and listen. It was grand. 2 miles later, after yelling at my hip pain to keep up or I'll run off and leave it on the side of the road, Brian came around the corner in the truck. He knows my route and had just finished his run. I had left him a note as to when I left so he knew where to find me. Our conversation went something like this: Me: Hey Sweetie! Brian: Hey Sweetie ! What are you doing?? Me: I'm training for a marathon. Brian (smiling): Are you headed home? Me: Yes. Brian: I'll stay behind you on the pavement in case you need anything. Me: Ok ...and then I took off again. Finally about a half mile later I turned onto our dirt road and he pulled up beside me. He blew me a kiss, said "good job, Sweetie" and drove home. I finished my run a few minutes later. It was still pouring down rain, but I did it. I can't choose not to do the marathon for fear of dissapointing others. I know that if I choose not to do it, it will be because I am comfortable and happy with my decision. The real, deep-down, inside-my-heart-and-soul reason for wanting to do this marathon: The marathon will be the pinnacle of my celebration of good health and a wonderful life. Heart Marathon Decision: Let's do it ! Body Marathon Decision: Let's do it ! Soul Marathon Decision: Let's do it ! Realistic Marathon Decision: Let's see how my 13 mile Saturday Long Run will be sans banana chips. Let's talk to the endo at my appointment on Wednesday and see what advice she has. Thanks for listening. Enjoy your day ! ~Susan.
      Wow, what a roller coaster of a run! But you know what? I think everyone I know who has trained for a marathon has had doubts during the training and had a bad training run. There were training runs last year where my bloodsugar dropped after 5 or 6 miles and I just didn't care enough about finishing the 12, 15, or however many miles and gave up. But I was right back out there the next week to try again. And I finished the marathon. Good for you for getting back out there the next day! ~Stacie
        Susan, I really enjoyed reading your piece! You know, I think the problem was that diet Mountain Dew...with peanut on whole wheat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????? Whatever. Thanks for writing about your horrible run as we all get them from time to time. Hope you're nice to Brian. Sounds like he's a gem who provides you with some fantastic support. My run today was short, rainy and basically lousy--stomach felt sick throughout so what was suppose to be a 5 miler ended up my shorter 2.6 and very slow. Hey, a couple of non-diabetic things come to mind from your post. For what it's worth my wife and I are sweeties also. We've called each other that since we were married 25 years ago today. Also, if you're a classic rock rock girl then click on my screen name and see if you recognize my "race face." (Clue: from an album classified as progressive, but classic just the same-1969.) Susan, keep that marathon in sight and careful of those banana chips. -- John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

The voice of mile 18

good on ya from learning from the experience: get a better food source and run earlier out of the humidity.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Runner Girl

Ok, John....you got me on that one ! In 1969 I was 8 years old and not yet into my classic rock phase ! More like Donny Osmond ! Shocked So....who is it???? Congratulations to you and the Mrs. on your anniversary !! That's absolutely wonderful ! Yes, Brian is my Sweetie and I can never began to say how truly blessed I am to have him as my husband, best friend and running mate. He IS fantastic and I give thanks for him every day. We met online 8 years ago and have been very happily married for almost 7 years ! I'm a true Southern Belle from Tennessee, he's a born and raised Yankee - we compromised - I moved to Michigan and he doesn't fuss about shoveling the snow when I get all giddy about the first snowflake! It's true love ! Big grin Breakfast - that's what I typically have every.single.day. It's 7 grain whole grain, not whole wheat. The peanut butter is all natural with not additives or sugar. Sometimes I toss in a sugar free yogurt. Diet Dew??? What can I say - I have two a day. I know...I'm addicted ! Big grin Peace out, dude ! (Is that what they said in 1969??) Wink ~Susan.
              Congratulations for getting back on the horse and chalking that run up to a learning experience. I to have to wonder about Mountain Dew, Are you aware it i very high in caffeine? Both regular and sugar free. Too bad you couldn't have taken your BG at the time of your Bonk. Remember experimenting are what the long runs are for. You could try freezing banana chunks and wrapping them in saran wrap for portability. By the way, you should keep a diary of your training experience and consider writing your memoirs. You have a writing talent that holds the readers interest and a good sense of Humour. (I guess that should be humor in the USA, Good luck in future runs towards your goal. Dave
              WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                Hey, Dave. You got something against caffeine?--first thing in the morning? You mean my pot and a half of French roast before I set out isn't good for me???? I was talking about the combination. To me good ol' Joe sounds better with breakfast than doing the dew.

DONNY OSMOND!!!!!!!!?? Oh, brother. (Marie's not bad however.)

Hey, Dave. You got something against caffeine?--first thing in the morning? You mean my pot and a half of French roast before I set out isn't good for me???? I was talking about the combination. To me good ol' Joe sounds better with breakfast than doing the dew.
                    Good for runners - not so good for diabetics http://www.newstarget.com/001514.html http://www.beyondhealth.com/caffeine-diabetes.htm http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm The only pop I drink is diet 7 up and diet sprite. Colas are bad for caffeine too. Dave
                    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                      I have a Diet Coke every morning. I don't know what I would do without it. I figure that as long as I only have one (at most two) a day, and aside from an occassional drink (alcohol) it's the worst thing I do, it's not worth giving up Big grin
                        ...and I literally drink at least a pot of well-caffeinated coffee each day. I can't help it! - John (Runner Girl--don't forget to let us know your response to the weekly question after your appointment--good luck tomorrow.)

The voice of mile 18

OK I have a lot of work to do onthe diet end. I drink A LOT of coffee and diet coke. have mostly given up on alcohol might have a drink once or twice a month. and all the other small little temptations I give into occassionaly I usually say I "it's ok cause I'm training so much" which is fine but family/illness/crap weather has caused me not to train in over a week! ugh!!!!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

...and I literally drink at least a pot of well-caffeinated coffee each day. I can't help it! - John (Runner Girl--don't forget to let us know your response to the weekly question after your appointment--good luck tomorrow.)
                            Years before my dx I switched to Diet Pepsi from the reguar sugar loaded stuff and for hte life of me I can't remember why now............must ask Sandi, she'll remember most likely. When stationed in Thialand I drank the old 16oz bottles. This was pre diet sodas for the most part. My first wife kept track one day and said I drank at least 15 bottles each day. but in Thailand you sure as hell didn't want to drink the water unless you had to. Today I drink about 7.5 cans a day.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Susan, Good for you not to give in to a bad run! Thanks for sharing with us. You may have been stressed by the late start, and the over sleeping may have been a clue that you needed rest not a 11 mile run, but we all are strange, and tend to push ourselves. Joe
                              Age is not an illusion
                                I can't live without my coffee! I would test my BS to see what coffee may or may not do to me, but I think the stress of not having it alone would raise my BS, and by the time I finnished hollering at my wife, and being a crab, she would probably kill me, so much for unstable BS. Joe
                                Age is not an illusion