Diabetic Runners

Looking at our logs! (Read 313 times)

The more I use this site the more I like it. I used to keep my long on a computer spreadsheet and it doesn't come close to the level of information at our fingertips here; e.g. the immediate calculation of pace, the mileage on our shoes and the charts! Been looking at Forrest's and Starflight's logs. Things are definitely looking good! Forrest--those marathon's make me envious. I can see why you are motivated to get back into things. Starflight, your long runs are progressing. Bravo! Just be careful of the hot weather. Let the numbers on your HRM guide you along. Discussion about foods and carbs has died down so I trust we are finding what works for us. Any thoughts though, post them for all of us. Guys, (Joe, too) what are your goals as we approach the fall? John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

John, Ok I created a running log so you guys can look at it. Playing with HRM I found that I was able to get my heart rate up to 176, so I will use that for now as my MAX rate. Ran on the Treadmill today 4 miles started at 10:54 and ended at 11:32, keeping my heart rate within range. Boy that kills me to slow down like that, but I probably would in the street anyway as there is no belt to keep pace with. It ask you the time why can't I see the time for the individual runs? Joe
      Age is not an illusion
        My initial goal was to be able to run 1 mile but with all the walking I did to lose the weigh.I mile wasn't too hard. Next goals are to run a non-stop 5 & 10 k. The 5k is coming up this weekend and I can't wait. 10k is going to be a while for sure. I really have to watch my speed though. I remember what it feels like to run sub 7 and I can't think that way. It's just not realistic at this stage. I have been pushing for 9 min miles so I can run with my freinds on their slow easy runs (for them) I probably should be happy with 10 or 11 for now. I am not even considering any races at all. I can't push too hard afterall injuries stopped me from running a while ago and I don't want that to happen again. The problem is that everytime I make a goal I feel my competitive nature gets activated again. Logging here is easy and much better than the notebook I used when I ran competitively.I think I am doing the right thing by setting smaller goals rather than saying I want to do a marathon by the spring. Who knows I may just keep running just to get into good condition and maintain my weight and health. After all I am getting older but I don't want to feel like it! There was a 79 year old that ran the Niagara marathon (my 1st)It took him over 5 hrs but what an inspiration Some elite runners ran back to him and ran with him to the finish. Thats what running is all about ! Knowing me I probably will be setting future race goals for long races eventually. I prefer long to short races. I have never run a 5k or shorter in a race. John, a fall Half looks pretty realistic atter lookin at your log. Good Luck!
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?
          John, Ok I created a running log so you guys can look at it. Playing with HRM I found that I was able to get my heart rate up to 176, so I will use that for now as my MAX rate. Ran on the Treadmill today 4 miles started at 10:54 and ended at 11:32, keeping my heart rate within range. Boy that kills me to slow down like that, but I probably would in the street anyway as there is no belt to keep pace with. It ask you the time why can't I see the time for the individual runs? Joe
          Look under "workouts" for individual runs.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

My long term goal is to stay healthy and fit. Running is one sport that I can do alone, that is for the most part it is competeing with one's self, so it fits my schedual. At work my shift is subject to change twice a year, so I can not join, clubs, or teams, or other peoples scheduals. Sometime this fall I hope to be running 10 mi runs and 30+ miles a week maybe by NOV. Here there is a Marathon on Oct 10tth, also a Half, but there is no way I'll be ready. Looking for that next year, if I can figure a way to run outdoors in the heat next summer for the run up to it. As far as the food and carbs go, at 4 mi all I need is water yet. I do seem to graze more, thai is have extra snacks, throught the day. Only a A1C will tell me if that is hurting or not, I suspect not. I have noticed though that my 1 hr after lunch number though is about 105 or so instead of 130-140. A direct result of running in the AM. I now also work resistance training on my running rest days, just the upper body, doing reps for conditioning and not for bulking up. John looks like you are close to the Half. Good luck! Dave, I'll never be competitive, but I like the idea of finnishing If I can finnish in the front of the end pack, I'll be happy. It would be great to finnish a Marathon at 79 wouldn't it? Joe
            Age is not an illusion
              Joe. Good idea on working on the upper body a little bit. I try to use dumbells, do a few push ups and ab crunches 3 or 4 times each week. It really helps me to avoid tired arms and helps keep my form more upright. Good, now your log is out there for the world to see. Don't you feel naked? John

Thanks Starflight, I think I am beginning to see how to use the logs now. Joe
                Age is not an illusion
                  I to do light dummbells and 50 situps every 2nd or 3rd day. Arm strength is curitical to keep your pace going up hills. I do not do much lower body other than stretching as I figure the running is enough.I don't see your profile Joe? I take it you are in our age group based on what John has said previously. There are a lot of runners out there from 45 to 55. It's very difficult to win or place in this age group at most races around here. I did win my age once in a 12 k race. I would love to be completing marathons in another 20 years. That would be wonderful to be in that good condition at that age.
                  WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                    Not too sure about logging my cycling. I don't want it to blend in with my total running miles in the summary. Maybe I should just stick it in my running notes.
                    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                      Whoops, I see it puts the cycling in a separate Cross Training Summary. Cool !
                      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                        Dave, Ok I figured out the profile thing and updated it somewhat. For some reason it doesn't post why I run. Yea, your right I am 58. One more hot one today, all week they have been saying a high of 105-106. Joe
                        Age is not an illusion
                          Joe Are you scrolling down and hitting "update" at the bottom? It's not to bad up here in the great white north. It's been 70 to 80 but not as humid as it has been. Supposed to rain this weekend for my long run but that will not stop me. I may be by myself as some ot the runners I run with Chicken out in the rain. I tease them and call them Fair Weather Runners.
                          WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                          Runner Girl

I thought about using the longs here, but, I have a Garmin ForeRunner 301 and dumpt all my information in the software at home. Posting here would be duplicating and I'm not sure that I could keep it up. Dang....I'd enjoy the feedback and comments, but, oh well. Take care, Susan.
                              One of the biggest motivator in our training is keeping our logs. Some of you have an on-line log here at runningAHEAD and some on other sites. If your log is at another site and you would like to be able to share it easily with the rest of us, send us the link. If you do, I will put the link to your log on the Pertinent Link list. John

I hate to say that I am spying on you, but I am. It is fun to watch the logs and the progress being made. If you are paranoid, then yes, it is you that I am really watching Big grin Joe
                                Age is not an illusion