Diabetic Runners

Is this the beginning of the end? (Read 345 times)

My blood sugars have been all over the place lately. The last 3 days I have had really bad migraine headaches in the afternoon - out of curiosity - I checked my bs - low 70's to high 60's - eating helped the headaches. No headache today, but just started feeling "bad" my hr was up to 86 (high for me) checked, and today bs is 145(checked 15 min later and it was 143) - 2.5 - 3 h after last meal - no way it should be that high with what I ate. My synthroid dose got dropped and I am feeling hypo again - I know that's contributing - but bottom line, since I'm pre-diabetic anyways, I'm afraid it won't make any difference if I've crossed the line. I'm getting a new monitor tomorrow - mine is 2 years old and I question the accuracy. I know they read less accurately at both ends of the scale. I know these numbers aren't horrible - but they are very much out of line for me - I'm trying to follow trends. My endo is out of town for the next 2 weeks. Any thoughts?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

The voice of mile 18

you could be getting sick. sickness can screw up your #'s. keep checking your #'s might be a one day thing. and if it isn't let your doc know and you both can deal with it - it's not the end of the world.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

it's not the end of the world.
        yeah - I know - I just kind of feel like I'm in limbo with the diabetes stuff - especially since I know that my insulin levels are low and not high. As is true for most people here, diabetes fears were the driving force behind adopting a healthy lifestyle and I find running in particular really stabilizes my levels. Not being able to do that for at least another 4 -6 weeks is really tough. But - no where near as bad as actually living with having diabetes for years as most of you have been doing. Guess I was a little depressed last night and needed to vent. Reality check - cinch my belt and really be strict with my diet. Thanks, Joe Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Doesn't pay to worry too much about this stuff, it just adds to the frustration. I couple of unusual numbers is not unusual, sickeness, stress, to many things can affect the numbers. Trust the A1C
          Age is not an illusion
            Not being able to do that for at least another 4 -6 weeks is really tough. But - no where near as bad as actually living with having diabetes for years as most of you have been doing.
            Not to make light of your concern -- I certainly wouldn't "wish" diabetes on anyone, but after 23 years with it this month, I still don't understand much of the fear that surrounds the disease (other than fear of the unknown, which can always be as bad as we let it be). After more than two decades --- thousands of blood bests and injections (before I went on the insulin pump six year ago) -- I've just never thought it's that big of a deal. In fact, it's one of the more controllable diseases there is. I have thyroid disease and went through a cancer scare and both of these have certain qualities of helplessness associated with them that diabetics aren't forced to face. The fact is if a genie popped on my shoulder and granted me three wishes, being cured of diabetes wouldn't be one of them... the genie would have to give me at least half a dozen wishes before diabetes would even enter my mind. Please understand I'm not saying this to make light of your concern -- I do realize that my views aren't so common -- but I've been thinking about your post for a few days now and felt the need to respond... if you're going through "the beginning of the end," I'm here to tell you that I've been living in the end for a looong time and it's really not so bad. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Marcus - thanks so much for responding. I went through an ovarian cancer scare in September and thyroid in November.I really believe the thyroid (lack of) is at the root of my problems. It took me 3 months to convince my doc that I was undermedicated - finally after using non-standard tests - agreed I was right. Cut me back on Synthroid added Cytomel - problem cut me back too much on the Synthroid and now I am worse off than ever(currently 75/5). That's when I started having the fluctuations in my glucose levels, and having "spikes" in my BP. I now have a 1" difference in size between my right and left calf and thigh - that took 3 weeks of reduced lower leg work (healing stress fracture). It's alot of stuff at once. After reading your bio and note - I am encouraged to pick myself up and formulate a new plan to get my right leg back into condition - the other stuff? Only so much is within my control and I know I am doing all I can do - time to stop stressing over what could be and focus on what is. Glad I checked in this morning Smile Off to the pool now! Cheryl

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Thyroid stuff is very frustrating to me -- mostly because any adjustments in medication take weeks to show up in test reports.... 1 cool thing about diabetes: if I change insulin levels, I know within hours if it was a good idea. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I agree. Don't get me wrong I hate sticking my fingers all the time. (Thank God no shots yet) But diabetes is the best thing to have happened to me. I now take better care of myself and feel better at 53 than I did at 33.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wish I could say the same, Bear Poop! Dead To you Pool Runner, be really careful about getting down on this stuff. For the most part we are a happy bunch here and I think a lot of it is because of the support we find here, on other forums, and with family and friends who understand and support us. It does take some time to get used to our diabetic persona. At some point we come to the realization that work and determination is involved if we are going to stay healthy and minimize complications. I grant you that for some it is a fairly easy road while for others, especially those who did not get DXed early, or for whatever reason, find it difficult to maintain the disease properly, the path can be a difficult one. That's where the occasional venting helps and the replies we get in return rekindle our motivation. Hang in there! Smile

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Thanks, guys, for the support, and please accept my apology for being so dramatic. The fluctuating sugar thing was kind of a last straw in a string of frustrations that set me off. I really should learn to count to a hundred before I hit post. This is a great, upbeat, supportive place to be, and I hope I didn't upset anyone too much with my venting. Again - please forgive me, thanks for your patience - and no, I don't want to change my user name to "Drama Queen" Tongue 1...2...3...

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Drama? What drama? I didn't see any drama! Hey, don't apologize one bit and certainly don't feel that you can't spout off once in a while. This is the stuff that this forum is all about. Your frustration is the real face of diabetes and what better place is there to share it than where there are other diabetics? So don't apologize, and whenever you feel the urge, let 'er rip! - John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

What intherunning said!!! Sometimes you MUST vent!! That is one of the many reasons we come here. We understand! We have been there and will be there again. Unless our mates have diabetes, they just don't get it! And I pray they never will!!! So we rely on each other because we actually do understand each other!! Diabetes and running We KNOW!! On the ADA site there was a thread along the lines of Foxworthy's "If..................... You might be a Redneck. Only instead of Redneck it is Diabetic. Funny as hell........................................ to a diabetic. Maybe it is time to start a thread like that here.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

aww Cry these are happy tears - wish we could have a group hug Big grin

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

Armybrat

Hiya Pool-Runner. I'm in the exact same boat as you. Well, no thyroid issues, but I mean being border-line. I think that is probably part of what is getting you down. The uncertainty. Of being a pre-Diabetic who occasionally reads staight-up Diabetic. My numbers are usually okay, too. But on occasion, they are not. I don't go any lower than 95, but I've gone up to 197 after an intense workout (and a twelve hour fast, I now EAT before I work out!) And I've stayed at 170 or so for hours after eating. But that doesn't happen very often. When it does I start to worry. Am I finally Diabetic? My A1C is still good, and the Docs have never caught me with such high numbers. It's sort of abritary. There's some people out there with similar numbers who've been diagnosed and others who haven't. It's obvious if you are a clear-cut case checking into ER with a 600 reading. The rest of us sort of muddle through until the Doc finally catches us at a high reading. That being said, keep training and watching what you eat. Log what you eat, log when you work out. If you're not running you'd better be doing something. (Though I hate any other kind of workout personally.) And best of luck.