Diabetic Runners

How are you keeping Hydrated during longer hot runs? (Read 458 times)

Do you carry water with you? (bottles, camelbak) Do you stash water along your route? Are you using straight water or mixing some carbs (gaterade)
    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
      Dave, Don't know yet, haven't been running outdooors, but was looking at the Camelbacks today. There is a Camelback that rides low on the back like a Fanny Pack, it carries about 45 oz of fluid. I think I might try that. I also understand that there is some kind of a wrist band or something so that you can carry a 24oz bottle in one hand, and I hear people say that they will even carry two, one in each hand. Some just can't stand the Fanny thing. I do not think the Camelback that rides high up would be very comfortable. I do not like the idea of stashing along the route, you never know who does what to it, or even if it will still be there when you arrive. Joe
      Age is not an illusion
        I have the camelback you are talking about but I prefer the one that is a little taller. It doesn't seem to slosh around and bounce up and down as much as the squatier version. It doesn't seem to conform to my lower back as well as the slightly taller one. They work great I used it right through a very hot marathon and the extra hydration helped me through it. I used to freeze gatorade in an ice cube tray and drop them in the bladder with water (half and half) I have bottle waist packs too but they sometimes bounce out of the pocket and you have to be a contortionist to put the bottle back. I guess it depends on how much your stride bounces. Its much more efficient to have a gliding stride. I guess the bottles taught me how to stride that way. Also a little hint about the camelback. When you have taken your drink, blow in the tube so that the liquid in the tube goes back in the bladder. That way you don't get a blast of warm water on your next sip. the water in the tube heats up very quickly whereas in the bladder it stays cooler longer especially if you added ice cubes. This also applies in the winter, water in the tube tends to freeze and then you can't get a drink. I usually gun the tube under my clothes against my body to avoid the line freezing. I agree that I don't like stashing water either as who knows what can happen if someone spots you stashing it. I am finding the extra weight of the water a bit of a burden but it is a necessary evil.
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?
          here's my cam
          WHO FARTLEK"D ?
            For my 10K course (or less) I carry 20oz of water/grape juice mix. For longer I will hide additional bottles. I think I need to find something else. The sugar in the juice makes the stomach a bit queezy after 4 miles and the bouncing makes the water/juice mix get all foamy. Not good for beer, not good for running fluid!

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Dave, That is the one that rides high up on the back and has shoulder straps, right? Those straps and the heat back there don't bother you? Joe
              Age is not an illusion
                No it does not ride on your back and does not have straps . The one with straps is more for hikers or bikers. This one is just about 3 inches taller than the one you like and it rides nicely in the small of your back. It has a slimmer but consequenly longer bladder and hugs your back nicely. I find the one you like has a round bladder and tends to bounce up and down more rather than hug your back. Try them on in the store. I find the one youlike has to be sinched tighter around your waist. I do know other runners who use it though without complaints. For me the bouncing drives me nuts and I don't like sinching it too tight around my waist. But once you get used to it its far superior to the bottle types. I have not seen the bottles on your arm models. I can't imagine that being very comfortable. Could cause shoulder stress and throw your stride off. I know they don't recommend runners using ankle or wrist weights to train with. Dave
                WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                  I believe this is the model you are like. Both work for runners.
                  WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                    This is what I use for shorter runs - they're only about 5 bucks.
                    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                      Had a great run tonight Supposed to do my long run but fairweather friends backed out due to rain It was only a fine misty rain and actually felt nice and cooling. Just did 3k on a flat course ending with a 1/2 k downhill finish. pushed fairly hard 9:28 /mile pace. Hopefully I am still strong enough tomorrow morning to do my non stop 5k long run. I tried grazing all afternoon and to my surprise I only dropped BG 4 points (best yet!) Dave
                      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                        Dave, Sounds like a great run! By Oct we should start to get some of that kind of weather. Suppose to cool off this week, highs only in the upper 90s; if it does I'll see about running in the AM out doors. I'll have to check for that other Camelbak, don't believe I've seen that one. Thanks Joe
                        Age is not an illusion
                        Runner Girl

Hey Y'all ! I use a water belt and just water for my short runs. For my SLR I use the water belt and a combination of water and gatorade. Fortunately for me, my husband just finished his first Half Ironman so his training has backed off considerably - so - he will do the marathon with me in October ! He'll carry extra water and gu for me. This Saturday will be our first LR together (11 miles) and he will carry everything - water, gu and gatorade. On a different note, he offered me some elecytrolyte pills that he uses in his training, but, so far, I've declined. I've had a a total thyroidectomy and am on mediciation for thyroid replacement much less being diabetic and on glucophage 1000mg x2 a day. Thoughts? Take care, Susan (aka ~Runner Girl~)
                            That's great that your husband can carry liquids an gu for you. You will definately need some nourishment along the marathon route (even non diabetic runners do ) The only concern I would have about the electrolite is how much sodium it has in it. I had hypertension when I was heavy and have to watch my sodium intake (unfortunately it's hidden in a lot of foods) In general electrolites may help if you perspire profusely. It's very important to take in some carbs and water water and more water well b4 you reach the so called wall (around 18 miles) Many a runner has run out of steam at this stage of the race because they didn't take in enough carbs and they "bonk". Sometimes if this does occur some runners cannot even walk.I to like watered down gaterade. (straight gatorade upsets my stomach. I always shouted out "water" when approaching water stations as some hand out gaterade instead but usually they are well signed. I would freeze gatorade and mix the cubes in with the water to keep every thing nice and cold and get more carbs as you go along(in addition to taking in water at each water station even if you are not thirsty) I do not know if gatorade(lot of sugar)works with diabetic runners. We will all know a lot more after we hear about your fall marathon. It's great that your husband can help you , especially on those long training runs you have coming up soon. How long do you intend to make your longest run b4 your marathon? Looking forward to hearing about how you are making out on your longer training runs. Good Luck! You will always remember that 1st Marathon with pride. Dave
                            WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                              Did 6 miles today and carried a water bottle in each hand. Is this stupid or what? John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Runner Girl

You asked: How long do you intend to make your longest run b4 your marathon? Here's how my Saturday long runs are planned up until the marathon: 08.26.06: 11 miles 09.02.06: 13 miles 09.09.06: 15 miles 09.16.06: 13 miles 09.23.06: 18 miles 09.30.06: 12 miles 10.07.06: 20 miles 10.14.06: 15 miles 10.21.06: 7 miles 10.29.06: MARATHON ! I have a 10 miler event on 09.23. They keep the course open for marathon training so I will do my 10 miles then turn around and do 8 more. ~Susan.