Diabetic Runners

An interesting debate (Read 163 times)

It is a political BB and for some reason soemone posted about curing diabetes. http://www.hannity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85014

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Thanks for the posting, Starflight. I heard of the diabetes/hydogenated fats/oils connection some time ago and have since cut all hydrogenated fats and oils from my diet. I take a fish oil capsule with each meal and we only cook with good oils. Like the cinnamon issue, even if it doesn't directly help the disease, the move is certainly toward better health and nutrition. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I too have totally eliminated all trans fats from my diet. I do not take fish oil but I get my Omega 3 from flax seed on a daily basis.I only use olive oil for cooking. I am sure all these things are healthy but I'm not sure about a cure. Dave
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?
          I object to the notion that there is a cure and "Big Med/Doc" is covering it all up. Soem people are out to lunch and are never coming back! Ya wonder sometimes just what holds their ears apart. Diabets is PREVENTABLE with the proper diet and life style changes, but cured? I don't think so! Someday maybe, but already? Paging George Nori!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I have often wondered if there wasn't a real cure for type 1 diabetes out there but the drug companies bought it and kept it secret because of how much the make on insulin, test strips, syringes, etc. I don't know if they were just trying to give me hope or what, but groups like ADA and JDRF have been saying that we are very close to a cure since I was diagnosed over 19 years ago!
              Good morning, Stacie. Sometimes it gets so frustrating when I read the many, many so-called research reports and opinions. Just this month in Diabetes Forecast (published by the ADA) there is an article by a Dr. Claresa Levetan titled with the question, "An End In Sight?" a very positive outlook for a cure. "This is not wishful thinking on my part: I think we are well-positioned to reverse type 1 and 2 diabetes." She makes her claim based on our vastly-expanded knowledge of the pancreas. I am not a cover-up, conspiracy type of person, but when I've seen these kinds of claims for so long, and I hear of otherwise unorthodox research centers finding links between certain diseases (e.g. cancers) and diet and/or envionment that mainstream medicine poo-poos, it certainly makes me wonder and fuels my cynicim. I figure, things like the cinnamon and the hydroginated fat claims are cheap and healthful changes we can all encorporate, so why not. Otherwise, I'm not holding my breath. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)