Diabetic Runners

Chest colds (Read 155 times)

Should I try and run with a chest cold hacking all the way? BTW our Am temps have been in the low 20 and high teens

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I know this is probably a little late for advice (I've been out of town for Thanksgiving) but I've always heard that if the symptoms are above the neck it's OK to exercise, but if they are neck or below rest is better.

The voice of mile 18

ditto what she said. above the neck keep training below the neck you're sick Cry

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Well I woke up felling good, then I sat up and started hacking from deep down. This is getting old fast!!! I took the week off so I could spend time with family AND run. One out of two isn't bad I guess. But with winter arriving this week (snow by Thursday) and wanting to run a HM in May time will fly by. Sorta like some one wants me to sit! Bad back the a huge cold and now winter!! BAH HUMBUG!!!! I blame the flu shot I got on the 10th!!!! I know!! The medicos say that can't happen!!! Well they can take that an spread it on a corn field for all of me!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

The voice of mile 18

honestly the only time since college I got the flu was the one year I got the flu shot and I even have a 3yr old in daycare (even more infectous than that monkey in the movie Outbreak) I will not get the flu shot hope you feel better soon ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Worst case of flu I ever had was Christmas 1980. I had my mandated (I was in the Air Force) flu shot in Nov. and had gone "home" the second week of Dec to visit my kids and first wife (long story there.........should have married my second wife FIRST and we have known each other since 1969) Well my folks lived not 80 miles away an dad wanted me to drop by and say hi, but mom had the flu. No problem as I ALREADY had my shot right?!?!?!?! Well I returned to Malmstrom AFB Montana and just before Christmas I got sick. I mean one minute I was fine and the next minute all hell broke loose!! I didn't ever make it back to my room in the BKS only 10 doors away!! Doc put me in the hospital for 4 days over Christmas! Now I take my shot. Being a diabetic with high blood pressure AND taking care of my wife's mother who has lots of health problems, I just can chance not getting one.

The only year that I DIDN'T get a flu shot, I ended up in the emergency room with the flu. They had wanted to admit me to the hospital, but I'm stubborn and can put on a great act even when deathly ill, and besides my mom is a nurse, so I got an IV for a while then went home. I've gotten one every year since, and have convinced my hubby to get one as well!
                  my hospital stay was a no choice situation. I was Enlisted living in a BKS. I either was admitted or reported to duty in a Launch Control Fac for Nuke Missiles located in the middle of nowhere with help hours away IF it there was no blizzard!! BTW It was kept hush that I had the flu. Seems that it was me that was responsible for bringing that strain into the state!! Or so said my ward nurse