Diabetic Runners

Pinched nerve and Prednisone (Read 351 times)

Well doc tried everyting else and that damned nerve still hurts, So tomorrow I start taking Prednisone. IT worked last time but it sure messed with my BG levels big time. 11 days to teh start of training for the Indy half marathon and I have not logged any miles for far too long and now this. Wife says even if I feel like I can run I'll need a note form the Doc saying I can! I am actually deraming about running now in my sleep and wake up bummed because it was just a dream!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Sorry you're having such a rough time getting that pinched nerve to subside. At least you know going in that it's going to send your BG levels up. Are you on insulin or oral meds? Tough to do much about it if you're not on insulin. As for the running dreams, at least you dream about actually running successfully. As I was drifting off the other day, I dreamed I tripped on the sidewalk. Leg jerk woke me up!
      Progress Trumps Pefection
        Have some NASTY readings today. Mid 200. New highs for me. No D meds so far. Control via diet and exercise. My next A1c is going to be really bad.............unless I wait a while. Tripping. I did NOT dream that. I DID it!!! Last April, the last group training run the Sat before the Indy 500 Half Marathon. I had .1 miles left on a 5 miler. My ITBS was acting up so I got off the crowned road and on the sidewalk figuring that the flat surface would take some pressure off the affected leg. With my left foot off the ground I pushed off with my right foot and dragged my toe a little. Of all the places to put the joint in the walk. I remember attempting to get my arms under me and knowing it was too late, then thinking "This is going to hurt" Road rash on both arms and hands along with the nose and forehead. I split the bridge of my nose and blacked the left eye. Oh and I bent the hell out of my glasses, without which I am actually blind. My GOOD eye is 20/450+ Just very VERY happy I didn't do it during the race!!! And my wife no longer gives me hell about my getting the EXACT same frames for my glasses year after year!! I just swaped out the lenses to an old frame and was good to go!!!! But today is the first time in 3 weeks I have not been worried about starting training on the 26th. The Prednisone is working, I actually drove the 63 miles home and arrived with about 80% less pain. If this keeps up I see not problems except I am so out of shape and our first run is 2 miles. Sept is the last time I ran 2 or more miles

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Glad the predisone is helping! It's hard to control steroid induced high BG's with insulin, and even harder to control without it. As for falling, I've done it in more than my dreams as well. Was out walking a couple of my dogs this summer, and decided to chase a squirrel with them. So we took off at a full sprint. Not sure how I tripped exactly, but fortunately caught myself in sort of a plank position. Just skinned hands, one elbow bunged up, and some leash burn on one hand. Only lost my grip on one leash somehow and managed to corral my errant dog before she did too much damage. No more squirrel chasing for me!
          Progress Trumps Pefection