Diabetic Runners

New to running - older and diabetic (Read 322 times)

snalespace

I am new to this forum. Does anyone have any advice for an older (mid 50s) beginning runner (actually a jogger right now) who is T2, has his BG under control, is not overweight and is relatively good condition. Friends and family think I should let kids do the kid stuff and I should act my age.
      Welcome snalespace to the forum, I will just give you a couple of quick responses. 1 - be sure you see your doctor before starting any kind of serious exercise and anticipate that your doctor won't be very sympathetic to running; at least that has been my experience. Mine just wants me to walk a lot and sort of poo poos my running. 2 - after dr clearance, get some shoes. Here you won't need to be overly pricey. Start with a basic running model (unless you have known foot issues like pronation). You will do quite well in the $50 - $70 price range. Keep in mind that you need to start this project slowly and don't be afraid to build rest days into your schedule. If you don't you will get quite sore and possibly injure yourself; running injuries can be quite painful and could keep you from lacing up for extended periods of time. So be careful. I do have a third comment. READ. Get to Amazon or your bookstore and find books on beginning running. Here are a couple of great books that help older runners: Running Past 50 (Ageless Athlete) by Richard Benyo, Running to Win by George Sheehan and a great, but simple book on all the basics from motivation, getting started and equipment by Amby Burfoot called "The Principles of Running, My Practical Lessons from My First 100,000 Miles." I've read and re-read these books many times. Maybe some others in here can help. Thanks for the post. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

The voice of mile 18

welcome to running! not much to add to what ITR said except for look for local running clubs - a good running partner is a great thing. enjoy!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Amen to a running partner. For years I enjoyed lone running. Then last year my son ran a long run each weekend with me. Now that he's moved to VA I am back to lone running again and feel far less motivated to get out there, go the distance that I had planned, and run the pace I had wanted! Yes! find partners. Don't forget to check the old BG before and after for a while until you see a predictable pattern emerge.

So....snalespace, are you considering putting your log up on this site for all of us "elite" Big grin runners to see? By the way, there are few of us here that are your age so don't be afraid to talk with us.

snalespace

Well, I don' t think I am going to make my running a public affair just yet. Let's just say that I am off to a fairly good start. I get a mile or so in 3 to 4 times a week. Just easy jogging at this point. Sometimes I need to walk a little too. I'm a little sore some days but nothing too awful. I looked at a few books at the store the other day. Didn't buy anything yet.
                snalespace - Welcome to the club. I came late to running, too, starting at age 48. I'm not overweight but I wasn't in good shape - I was a smoker. As has been said, start slow. My own motto is 'no need for speed.' Get good shoes. Getting a partner is a personal decision - I prefer to run alone. Add some variety by doing something other than running two or three days of the week. Take good care of your feet. Don't run hurt. Focus on endurance over speed. One book/program I recommend for avoiding injury is "Chi Running" by Danny Dreyer. Good luck, Terry
                  Well, I'm in the 50+ group also (54), and started also at 49. Best thing I ever did for my health and diabetes. But I'm probably one of those snai'ls pace runners also when I read the running magazines - endurance over speed is fine with me, but I've been able to improve that also this year in posting the best 10K ever this year. My goal is mainly to keep up a healthy running lifestyle as long as my body lets me. Good shoes, sensible and moderately strenuous training, and variety are all adding up to a good running addiction right now. Keep up the good work. Dave