Diabetic Runners

Question of the week #4 (Read 299 times)

As diabetics we have to give a little extra thought to our running and sometime those inconveniences can drain us of motivation. So...what motivates you the most to keep up with exercise and running? Don't forget about the other "questions of the week." It's never too late to add a comment or two!

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Diabetes is my motivator! What happens if I do not exercise? I have a long way to go before I can say my life is over, to much responsibility, to many things I still want to do. Running is the one exercise, with high intensity, that does not require anyone elses participation. It does not require a membership fee, I can do it anywhere, at almost anytime.
      Age is not an illusion
        I supposed diabetes is my biggest motivator too. If I don't run, my bloodsugars start going up, then I have to take more insulin, which causes weight gain. I also like the way running makes me feel like I've done something and gives me more confidence. I walk around thinking "I ran 5 miles before 6 AM. What did you do today?" or "I ran 18 miles on Saturday. What did you do this weekend?" It's also convenient - nothing is really required except a good pair of shoes. Although the MP3 player, technical shorts & shirt, heartrate monitor, GPS, etc. are very nice!

The voice of mile 18

Diabetes and the addiction to exercise but lately it's been the signing up for the philly marathon and having something to train for.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I too have to list Diabetes and my stroke as my motivation. But it's more than the that. It's the feeling I have after completing my longest run non stop and sitting down with my protein smoothie with my feet up and a smile on my face while reviewing my accomplishment in my mind. Remembering how I could not even walk for 5 minutes after being released after my stroke. I like the feeling I get thinking that not many 52 year olds (excluding this group) can run 12 km non-stop like I just did 1 hr ago. This group is also very motivational. Knowing there are people out there that do understand why you run and share their experiences with you and encourage each other with the extra complications of running with diabetes. Most of all I feel that running is adding years to my life that I could have easily lost a year ago. All these things get me off my ass everyday! Dave
            WHO FARTLEK"D ?
              Hey, Joe. I wonder how many are going to the Philly. I see your post over at Diabetes and Sports asking who's going is still waiting for a reply!

I sort of figured that many would answer this question with "my diabetes is my motivator." For me, my diabetes discourages me from running. I have yet to turn any of it into a positive. I realize my BG is better and my overall health is better. But always knowing it is an on-going battle keeps me from fully enjoying the sport like I once did.

John, There are natural processes that take place when one grows older. Reduction in hormones, healing takes longer, reduction in muscle mass, reduction in spirit, diabetic or not. This is probably why you do not enjoy running like you did when you were younger. Diabetes is just one of many things that happen to us when we get older, some have heart conditions, some have nuerological conditions, some have arthritist ( spl ). What you are doing is what we need to do, and I feel good for doing it. Eventualy I will die of something, and they may list it as a diabetic related illness, but it will probably be of something that is common to most older people and not at any younger age than others.I take Zocor, High Blood pressuer Meds, and Actos, Most people my age take the 1st two meds any way, along with...?? Blood thiners, Heart Meds, Pain meds, the list goes on. I am no worse off, probably better because of the diabetes. The only thing I can't do is eat anything I want, as much as I want, whenever I want. The truth of the matter is no one can, but they are, and it is killing them.
                  Age is not an illusion
                    Stuff most of us (at least our age) know but may not want to face. The realities of these conditions don't discourage me as much as just knowing they are there does. We had better be careful here on this forum as we might digress to the negative side of things---not the purpose of this forum.

The voice of mile 18

ITR- the negative stuff is why we're talking together w/ other runners w/ diabetes - cause we understand what we are all going thru. it ticks me off to no end I ran laps around the chubby insurance agent who sells me at inflated rates.I am angry that body that I work so hard to train is failing me. but what can you do? you fight the disease, you train hard, eat right (mostly) and enjoy each day, each run, each breath. don't worry too much about talking about the negative stuff - you're around folks who understand. my wife is wonderful and very patient and supportive but she doesn't understand why one unexplainable high Fasting blood sugar can put in me a sour mood for the day. you guys do.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Good points, Joe. Yes, even the ones who are the closest to us may not always be sympathetic to our ups and downs. It's not that they don't understand but they are just not experiencing it. I guess that is what support groups do, they bring folks together with a common experience. The nice thing here is we are bringing together two common experiences among us, that of diabetes, of course, but also our running, very cool indeed.

My motivation is not dying a horrible diabetes complicated death. When I step into the endocronoligists waiting room and see the host of people with advanced complications that's all the movtivation I need to haul my butt out of bed and hit the road. Furthermore, if that means I have count carbs, take my meds, monitor my BS then so be it. I feel like I have a choice of how bad I want this disease to ravage my body. There are lots of diseases that don't give you that option.
                          "It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll" - AC/DC
                            No more blood pressure meds and so far no drugs to control the BG. No bad!! And I promised Pop (father in law) the day before he died that I'd be there to take care of things. So to keep my promise I MUST take care of my diabetes and that means running!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Keep your word, Gregg! John