Diabetic Runners

Introduction - cold greetings from wintery TN (Read 180 times)

Memphis675

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and group.  I posted an introduction to some other group by mistake, so hope I am in the right place now.

I am a 37 year old type 1 diabetic who has picked up social running these past 4 months.  My wife has run 5 halves and the St Jude full marathon here in Memphis, TN.  Her enthusiasm and love of the sport could be ignored no longer, so I got off the treadmill and hit the street in October.  I've run probably 150-200 miles with the longest being a 9 miler, and I love it so far. 

I have been T1 for 9.5 years and have maintained a 6.1-6.4 Ha1C in recent years.  I've dropped 10 lbs to 180 in the past year through general exercise, but running is new and very different than exercising in a gym.  I have the same concerns as any other T1er.  How do I manage good BG while running?  So while looking for the answers I found this forum. 

My recipe so far:

• Lots of water the night before a run and steady sips in the morning (no water during most training runs so far)
    • Check BG before each run
    • Ideally have BG 150-250 half an hour before a run
    • If higher, I adjust down to 250
    • If lower, I eat 2 Nature's Valley granola bar (59g) or bananas
    • Leave my pump suspended and in my bag
    • Leave my meter in my bag too
    • I have gel packs (20-25g) that I have limited experience using on runs, only using one pack after running for about an hour for only a couple of runs so far
    • Check BG immediately after each run

No injuries so far, although me left foot is sore when walking (oddly not when running).  No hypo incidents, although today while stretching after a 4 mile run my left knee and ankle started shaking.  I had a BG of 37 but didn't notice anything odd while running.  I have my own running log to try to see the trends in BG with distance and effort, so I expect time will tell. From this site I see a lot of advice for running with a decreased basal rate and checking BG during the run, so I'll see how to incorporate this into my training too.

March 21st is my first half marathon.  My longest run so far has been 9 miles at a 9:38 pace, but I hope to be sub 2 hrs for the full half.  It'll be nice to get to know you all and improve my training the right way.

Rob

Hi Rob,

What half are you doing on March 21?

Welcome Memphis!

Sounds like you're doing great with the running and the diabetes management.  I did my first 1/2 marathon last year, though a bit slower than you probably will.  Sounds like you will be more than ready for it.  Hope you have a great time, and glad the running bug bit you!

Progress Trumps Pefection