Diabetic Runners

What kind of races do you have planned for fall? (Read 342 times)

School started on Wednesday and I haven't run since Tuesday! I've got to figure something else out, because I'm exhausted - I get to school around 7:15 to get my room ready for the day, and don't really get a break until the kids leave around 3:15 - 3:30. we're supposed to get 2 planning periods every day, but with the "please be patient while we work the kinks out" schedule, I barely have enough time to get back to my classroom before the kids start coming back (7th graders - we have to walk them to their other classes). So I've been staying at school until 5 or 6, then bringing stuff home with me to work on until 9 or so, and still feel like I'm falling behind. The other teachers keep telling me that it will get better, but at this point I don't see how Confused Sorry to get in here and whine so much - I just feel so overwhelmed with it all. And I've got a race the next 3 Saturdays and haven't run since Tuesday Cry On Sunday when I got locked out of the house and ran to church, I just went in long enough to find Jason with the keys. Of course he wasn't in the first place I looked and everyone saw me all sweaty and then I had to walk around looking for him. I was wearing some of my oldest running clothes too - stuff that's definitely seen better days. I think the really old running clothes will be tossed in the trash finally!
      Cheer up!!! It gets better with time. This is my (gulp) 31st year in the classroom. Once you get your feet on the ground and the glitches in the schedule are worked out, you will find time to be less of a strain. Right now your number one priority it to do the very best you can and if regular running becomes more sporatic, you will be just fine. You might have to find some type of alternative exercise that you can do when time permits. My fast walks in the evening have been a wonderful substitute when my running schedule declines. Here in NY we don't start until after Labor Day. The first couple of weeks of school my running goes down to only a couple of good week end runs, one mid-week run and a few late evening walks (after the school work is done) per week. Reason being like you said, tiredness and lack of time. By Oct or Nov things pick up. Careful about trying to do too much running during your first month of school. I find that I am ripe for getting a nasty cold if I try to do all my work and keep my running schedule in tact from summer. Your body will get a little worn down the first month of school so backing off right now might be good. Don't forget about getting enough sleep. It makes facing those little buggers a whole lot easier! John Smile

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Careful about trying to do too much running during your first month of school. I find that I am ripe for getting a nasty cold if I try to do all my work and keep my running schedule in tact from summer. Your body will get a little worn down the first month of school so backing off right now might be good. Don't forget about getting enough sleep. It makes facing those little buggers a whole lot easier! John Smile
        Thanks John! I hadn't even thought about how worn down I'd get if I tried to do everything but you're right. I'll just hope that I trained enough over the summer for my 3 races and then see how my schedule settles before I try to train for anything else.
          I've had great success maintaining my race fitness through down times by doing one or two short runs and and a long run on week ends and a medium range, EASY run mid week. Even after 3 weeks of this schedule I was surprised at how good and strong I felt. I was still able to get my half marathon in last fall AFTER school started 5 weeks earlier. Good luck, Stacie!

jpnairn

straw man

Hi, I'm new to the group. I'm 48 and I've been a type 1 diabetic for 33 or so years. I'm training for the St. George Marathon, St. George, Utah on October 6th. It's not my first marathon, not even my first St. George, so it's no big deal. I've had some trouble with sore knees and a bad hamstring for most of the year, but it all seems to be clearing up, at least enough for me to get some good training in before this race. Jerry

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Welcome, Jerry. Itfitz is new as well. Rather than duplicating what I wrote on his introductory thread, click on it and give it a read. He's a serious runner like yourself. John

Going first for the Crossroads half-marathon in Ft. Collins, CO on 9/16 , then the Denver Marathon on 10/14. Training is going OK so far - 2nd 20 mile run this weekend. Always the last 2 miles or so very slow - got to get past that somehow. Any diabetic runners out there in these events, I'd love to hear from you. Dave
                  Wait a minute. Did I read you correctly? Two 20-mile runs in one week end??? Are you crazy? John